Trevor's TK build CAUTION: question heavy! [*ATA]

Yep, just realized my exposed male snap is on the kidney and its supposed to be on the ab.  :6:

Besides that, I can't seem to get the ab plate to bend with the blow dryer. Is there a good visual reference on what points to hit with the heat to get the bend I want?

I used a little heat on the back plate to bring it in a liitle then I added some abs pieces behind to help stop the flaring out, my how to is here

AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Does this madness never end??? I guess I gotta track down some acetone. Nail polish remover is out of the question, I assume. Since it's tinted funny colors.

I wish there was a little smiley emoticon throwing his armor out a window, cause that's how I feel righ now. I'll use these instead...

:blink:  :shok:  :explodingemotie:  :6: ... and finally  :pint1:  :pint1:  :pint1:

Sticking this thread here for easy reference:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/2041-howto-make-your-own-abs-repair-paste/?hl=abs%20paste

Edited by bigtrev503

You'll be fine :)

Have you finished the belt yet? It would be good to see how that looks once its in place. I suspect that it will pull the sides into shape a bit better.

I like what you've done with the cut out on the kidney plate. I'm about to look at doing the same on mine. How did you get the return edge done on that?

I've been using ABS paste (Acetone and armor offcuts) for filling a few gaps. I leave a batch in a small jar to use. If it dries out, just add a slug more acetone.

You'll be fine :)

Have you finished the belt yet? It would be good to see how that looks once its in place. I suspect that it will pull the sides into shape a bit better.

I like what you've done with the cut out on the kidney plate. I'm about to look at doing the same on mine. How did you get the return edge done on that?

I've been using ABS paste (Acetone and armor offcuts) for filling a few gaps. I leave a batch in a small jar to use. If it dries out, just add a slug more acetone.

No, I spent all morning making the straps for the left and right side connections. Havent done anything to the belt. I'm gonna look at  getting a small container of acetone or borrowing it from someone's garage. I am really glad that Karin talked me into that sandpaper and Novus polish that I was sure I didn't need haha.

As far as the return edges on the kidney cutouts, I marked the cutouts according to billhag's diagram, leaving about 3mm between the pencil line and the edge of the cut. Then I used a heat sealing iron on heat setting 3 out of 5 and ever so slowly bent the edges over to the line ignoring the ugly warping. Then I sanded with increasing grades of sandpaper from 150 down to 400. Then it looked all right so I skipped the Novus plastic polish since this ESSENTIAL detail is hidden by the belt anyway. 

I have tried thinners and nail polish remover and neither are strong enough to make the abs into a paste, ideally you need an industrial type of acetone.

A NOOB question regarding ABS paste...So as I understand the "making of" you want it to be te consistance of elmers glue? I would like to use it to fill the seam from shimming my kidney plate. Any recommendation on what to use to apply the paste to minimize sanding? Never made or worked with the stuff, and a little nervous to be honest.

You could put masking tape behind the hole then apply the paste with some scrap plastic or even abs :D

• 2 weeks later...

On the quest for acetone! I walked by a truck that was carrying new washers and dryers to install in my apartments. I was actually thinking about ABS paste and acetone. Suddenly, on the back of the truck, there was a big container of acetone! I considered "borrowing" some of it, but just walked on by. I really should have asked if I could have some. That's what I get for not asking. 

Seriously considering criminal acts to finish this suit: PRICELESS! lololol

Go to a nail salon, I am sure they would let you have some, just flex your muscles a few times and wink :D

Well, I've come to the conclusion that ATA is a real pain. There are so many mods and adjustments that have to be made. I really wish I would have opted for TM. Regardless, here is my latest issue with the armor out of the box; the left calf opening is too narrow. Like an oval, whereas the right one is perfect. HEre is the photos:

102_1726_zps788b3faf.jpg

102_1727_zpsaca948f6.jpg

102_1728_zps901f18ac.jpg

102_1729_zpse65f8532.jpg

102_1730_zps2042cdee.jpg

Why?

wat_zps744544d4.jpg

What should I do, guys? Blow dry it? Boil it? Throw it onto a busy freeway? I'm getting frustrated.

Plus, here's the progress of the upper body sans the kidney as it is due for surgery when funding becomes available for acetone

102_1725_zps5c858d56.jpg

Edited by bigtrev503

Those ankles look the same as mine. The right one is a lot rounder. The real question is whether or not it going to matter to how it fits. 

I just posted some pictures in my own WIP thread and you can hardly see the left shin sitting a little higher than the right. How do yours look when worn with the thighs? If everything's in the right place then maybe there's nothing to worry about.

My only problem is the left shin rides up over the back of the boot when I walk, so I was going to try out this solution to "stop the pop".

Also, with your kidney hole problem, why not, for starters, just cut out a circular piece of offcut ABS to fill the hole, backed by another piece behind. That shouldn't stop you from getting basic 501st approval. Then if you need to later on, you can fill and sand any gaps with ABS paste.

I've ended up with a couple of indentations on my butt and kidney plates where to much glue on the snap plates caused some warping. They're noticable to me, but would be hard to see in any photo's ;)

Don't throw it on the freeway yet. :)

A little heat can make a world of difference to problem areas, mine was used emencely :). I have elastic on my boot hook which I snap to the inside of my shins, stops the upwards movement. Don't give up just yet, this is only a small hurdle, soon you will be done :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I've had a lot of stuff go on in my life which dampened the speed of my progress. Nevertheless, I have been chipping away at it. Got the entire torso strapped with tabs on the sides that keep it from flaring

102_1738_zpsa56ab14d.jpg

102_1737_zps52d80825.jpg

This has played a role in distracting me from my work:

102_1736_zpsb20824a2.jpg

Drinking and playing with acetone.. seems harmless lol. I made some paste to fill that hole.

102_1740_zps51eda0cc.jpg

And finally got that tooth mod finished and am currently finishing up the helmet

102_1741_zps8b57fcf5.jpg

Edited by bigtrev503

Looking good, you could come down slightly with the black trim, gives a meaner look. Every little bit adds up in the end, keep up the good work and stop playing video games :laugh1:

Looking good, you could come down slightly with the black trim, gives a meaner look. Every little bit adds up in the end, keep up the good work and stop playing video games :laugh1:

LOL Deadpool is another of the three costumes I'm in the middle of. He's my favorite character ever.... besides TK 421

I plan on putting glue inside the black trim and sliding it down til it sits in more of a hero position

Edited by bigtrev503

• 2 weeks later...

Well, how about that, my belt is inaccurate. Looks like I have to email ATA and get a replacement.

In the meantime I can:

Shorten the trooperbay canvas belt (Waaaay too long, in case you were thinking of getting it)

Build the TD

Attach shoulder bridges

try to do something to modify that left calf opening. Probably gonna boil it.

I'm sitting at 90% completion!