HOW TO: Stop Your Sides Popping Out

I found with my small frame that my sides of my armor kept wanting to pop out, even with strapping and a very tight belt. I came up with this fix, working well for me so far so I thought I would share it will you all.

Fisrt found a few scraps of ABS, in my case these where 30mm x 40mm, but you can use any size you want. I then gave them a small bend so they would follow the inside of the sides. Roughed both surfaces with some coarse sandpaper and applied glue and clamps. I used two on each side, top and bottom.

JMOn8N1.jpg

Here we are finished and the sides stay where they should. I may just paint the outside of the ABS black just in case you can see the pieces when I move

UV0bD21.jpg

• Like 1

So, are your ab section and kidney plate permanently together then?

No only one side of the ABS is glued the other is free. The peices are glued on the back kidney, they are free on the ab section.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Alrighty, thanks.

Sorry when I re-read the post I realised I should have added more info :blink:

Wait...I'm confused, how does this work if only one side is glued? :blink:

Two pieces glued to each side of the back plate, top and bottom (4 pieces total), when closed the front non glued pieces hold behind the front ab plate stopping the eastic wanting to push the sides out, does that make sense

• 6 months later...

What would you approximate the degree of the bend is?

It really depends on you're armor, the curve of it, the use of shims or not and what you're build is. Roughly mine are 15deg but I had used a little heat to curve the ends a little more.

• 2 months later...

The pieces of abs are glued to the back section, they fit snug behind the front section when closed, the elastic keeps it all tight together and the abs strips behind the armor stops the sides being forced out.