Trevor's TK build CAUTION: question heavy! [*ATA]

Well, I've done as much as I can by myself and through researching the board for months. I've been cutting and trimming everything and now am starting to cut straight lines. Now I reach the point where I need to start an official build thread so I can properly document my work and ask questions when needed. I have let my questions bottle up to the point where I am ready to explode!

I'll begin with all the progress pics and start asking all my questions after those.

Brown box pics:

20120219_152911.jpg

20120219_153033.jpg

Armor laid out, uncut:

20120219_153134.jpg

20120219_153123.jpg

20120219_153056.jpg

20120219_153046.jpg

20120219_152951.jpg

20120219_152948.jpg

20120219_152943.jpg

20120219_152940.jpg

20120219_152930.jpg

20120219_152923.jpg

20120219_152902.jpg

Got the boots:

20120310_180739.jpg

I started with the helmet:

20120317_144422.jpg

20120317_145951.jpg

20120317_144438.jpg

20120317_154334.jpg

20120409_231930.jpg

20120409_201405.jpg

20120409_201350.jpg

20120409_201340.jpg

Test fit with a (trooperbay) magnet but left alone because I don't have a drill right now

20120409_193735.jpg

The armor trimming:

Separated by "big parts" and "little parts"

20120409_193754.jpg

20120409_193800.jpg

The slow, careful trimming:

20120410_164637.jpg

20120410_164628.jpg

20120409_231858.jpg

20120424_174056.jpg

20120424_174103.jpg

20120502_194352.jpg

20120502_214254.jpg

20120424_192125.jpg

20120424_192135.jpg

Cutting straight lines. I was accidentally measuring these as 12 mm instead of 7 mm. This has since been fixed and both biceps, both forearms, and both calves have been butt jointed and taped for test fitting.

20120502_234700.jpg

20120502_192007.jpg

These are the tools I used:

20120502_191931.jpg

Here are my finished pieces:

20120505_191210.jpg

20120505_191156.jpg

Here's the leftover strips I plan to use for inner strengthening strips:

20120505_191234.jpg

And here are the test fitting pictures for you guys to assess and tell me how to make them fit properly. The left forearm is a little loose and the right is way loose. What to do?

20120506_164907.jpg

20120506_164914.jpg

20120506_164919.jpg

20120503_225753.jpg

I have not touched the thighs at all except for the lower edge where the knees are. I have not cut the butt joins and I have not cut the tops at all because while I was waiting for my armor to arrive I found in my research that the thighs are extremely uneven. I want to use pandatroopers tutorial but put an extra twist on it by using my heat sealing iron to actually lift a few millimeters of the extra material on the left to match the right. This is where I am at a stand still. I want to mod these thigh tops and I will not just give up and have one round one and one accurate one.

20120505_191346.jpg

20120505_191315.jpg

Edited by bigtrev503

Also, When I put on the ab, chest, butt, and kidney; the kidney overlaps the ab plate a lot. Should I trim extra material from the ab plate or the kidney plate?

I wish I could upload pictures more easily, but I use my phone and I get no service in my home so I can't upload to photobucket until I leave the house and go somewhere. Any additional pics you need for assessment let me know

I can tell I'm gonna be one of those skinnier than average troopers who has to trim a lot of material from everywhere.

I haven't touched the shin backs because I found a wonderfully genius way to do it that doesn't require extra material i.e: elastic or velcro. Here is the link:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11145&hl=dashrazor's%20ata&st=20

It's about halfway down the second page.

My question is: how much of the raised part should I cut back to achieve this? I asked Mr. Dashrazor but he hasn't responded.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by bigtrev503

FOREARM:

Taper that one that's too big at the bottom so it fits more snugly.

THIGHS:

I'm not expert so I post this with common sense caution - tape the crap out of them to get them as close as you can to what you want, mark and trim, and once you glue the inner strip, glue the outer strip as soon after as well (or both at the same time?). It should be strong enough to hold the form (with the other "unglued" side still taped) and you can gently heat it to relax the tension a little (though you may not need to). However, be VERY cautious how and how long you heat it so as not to damage or distort anything or melt the glue.

Looks like you're doing quite well so far - nice trimming! :)

EYES: don't be afraid to trim a liiiiiiiittle bit more out. Trust me you'll need every millimeter to be able to see more.

Also, When I put on the ab, chest, butt, and kidney; the kidney overlaps the ab plate a lot. Should I trim extra material from the ab plate or the kidney plate?

I wish I could upload pictures more easily, but I use my phone and I get no service in my home so I can't upload to photobucket until I leave the house and go somewhere. Any additional pics you need for assessment let me know

Pic of overlap while you are wearing it would be helpful. Otherwise, I'd say leave it for now and worry about it at the very end when you can wear the entire suit. You might look and feel fine with a little space in there, but if it ends up being too big you can trim down the sides of the kidney a bit.

THIGHS:

I'm not expert so I post this with common sense caution - tape the crap out of them to get them as close as you can to what you want, mark and trim, and once you glue the inner strip, glue the outer strip as soon after as well (or both at the same time?). It should be strong enough to hold the form (with the other "unglued" side still taped) and you can gently heat it to relax the tension a little (though you may not need to). However, be VERY cautious how and how long you heat it so as not to damage or distort anything or melt the glue.

I'm just freaked out to do anything to the thighs because, as far as my extensive research goes, I haven't seen anyone in the history of ATA armor try this wacky idea.

Understandable! :)

The main point is that you first want to size them (you know this). A lot of parts generally don't line up correctly, including thighs and greaves. So maybe look for as many solutions as you can in others' threads - but you're right, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone mentioning this either.

I also did my thighs last, mainly because they are highly visible and my hockey + girl thighs are a challenge on their own. I've redone my thighs twice already. And I still hate them. But anyway, to get things to meet up, you can trim to as close as you can, primarily the bottom/back area.

On the thighs it might be better to align the bottom where the form has the bump, and if the tops don't match, that's ok to start. You can trim the top to get them closer in height and put a return edge back on later. Close with the cover strips.

When set, just "push" the back together to align. You may need to trim again at the top or bottom. Tape the heck out of it so it stays despite any tension and try it on. Trim along the seam as needed and retape and refit. Once you get it where you want it, glue that evil thing together and it'll hold just fine.

Don't feel the back needs to be 100% straight lines. In fact I think my AP only has the "fold" on one side, and the inner back is flat - that's the side I tapered for my thigh cones.

I hope this is helpful - but if anyone has other techniques or something to help, I want to know too! :)

Let me see if I can find some reference pics and

I was actually thinking of taking the ridge completely off of the backs of the thighs and possibly shins. Maybe even the arms too. I thought that's what the strips were for.

Isn't it accurate to leave them on the fronts of the thighs and shin sand not the backs?

Remember, I'm shooting for as accurate as possible for a first time build.

Edited by bigtrev503

I can tell I'm gonna be one of those skinnier than average troopers who has to trim a lot of material from everywhere.

Yes, for everyone else it's trying it figure out how to squeeze into this stuff.

How small are you?? :huh:

I am 5' 10 and fluctuate between 158 and 164 pounds. Isn't that the size and height of the average trooper in 1977?

Actually, that's one of the reasons I chose this as a project. I thought I would be the ideal size for it.

I need to know how snug all the pieces need to be with undersuit on with no strapping, just pieces held in place. Do I need to be able to slip a whole ungloved hand in anyplace? Tighter? looser?

Edited by bigtrev503

The main point is that you first want to size them (you know this). A lot of parts generally don't line up correctly, including thighs and greaves. So maybe look for as many solutions as you can in others' threads - but you're right, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone mentioning this either.

I also did my thighs last, mainly because they are highly visible and my hockey + girl thighs are a challenge on their own. I've redone my thighs twice already. And I still hate them. But anyway, to get things to meet up, you can trim to as close as you can, primarily the bottom/back area.

On the thighs it might be better to align the bottom where the form has the bump, and if the tops don't match, that's ok to start. You can trim the top to get them closer in height and put a return edge back on later. Close with the cover strips.

Don't feel the back needs to be 100% straight lines. In fact I think my AP only has the "fold" on one side, and the inner back is flat - that's the side I tapered for my thigh cones

This is the approach I'm going to take on the thighs, but I am wondering how to get these thigh tops to the same shape like pandatroopers, yet get just an extra little bit of material folded up with the iron so it can get closer to the same height.

Any suggestions?

Ahhhh!!! My build thread is falling down the list and I need to get this baby done in a few weeks!

Ok, I have decided to:

pad the loose forearms

go ahead with the pandatrooper thigh top mod as it is in the tutorial (nothing creative or potentially disastrous)

trim the kidney and ab a bit for better fit.

I think test fitting will go better once the belt comes in the mail. Meanwhile, I can do small things like work on the TD and start sourcing snaps and elastic!

When fitting arms and legs, don't trim more on the front than what's needed to get the right width for the cover strip. The backs of the parts however can be trimmed as much as you need, and your arms look about an inch too big.

So I should cut from the inner parts of the forearms? I'm confused.

If you wear the forearms and hold your arms straight down with the dents on the arms facing outwards at a 90 degree angle from where you're looking, the join pointing where you are looking would be the "front".

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think I may be thinking too hard about this. I have been looking around at pictures and screencaps. I have been considering the fact that the original suit was ONE size and different actors fit them different ways. I have seen plenty of evidence that I should just leave everything with it's "screen accurate" measurements i.e: 15mm arms 20mm legs. 25mm shin backs.

This site http://ejpacific.wordpress.com/ is what confirmed the fit for me. This guy's ab/kidney fit looks just like mine when I put it on and he looks fine. Notice the space between his body and the ab plate on the sides. This was the concern for me.

This is not me or my armor. It is an ATA kit, like mine though.

dscf5808.jpg

Edited by bigtrev503

If your armor looks like this, when you wear it you should be fine. He should raise his drop boxes just a bit. I would def go with the standard size strips, since you are a screen sized trooper.

I'm a newbie and have yet to buy my armor, but I commend you on your efforts so far. It makes me nervous seeing you "struggle" some with your kit, but I really feel you have researched enough that you are on the right track. I wish I could offer you some help, but instead, I'm just pulling for you and think the end product is going to look really good. Keep up the good work and good luck!

I have an idea. Put on everything you've got and take some pics. :) Personally I think you are indeed overthinking and you're going to look great.

Isn't that the dang truth! I will be taking an overall test fit and post it up soon. Just waiting for a little more info from Dashrazor about the shin backs. That's where I'll start!

epxy_plstc_s.png

You think this will work to glue my rubber hand guards to my chemical gloves? Or would gorilla work better? I have both.

Edited by bigtrev503

Isn't that the dang truth! I will be taking an overall test fit and post it up soon. Just waiting for a little more info from Dashrazor about the shin backs. That's where I'll start!

epxy_plstc_s.png

You think this will work to glue my rubber hand guards to my chemical gloves? Or would gorilla work better? I have both.

Just go with normal CA glue. it works and is super easy.

Armour looks like it fits you good! I wear it about the same when it comes to gaps between the armour pieces and so on. But loose the suspenders. Just add elastics and snaps between the ab->chest as well as kidney->back and let your armour hang on it own on top of your shoulders. Much more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest progress:

Thighs built and test fitted. They fit great at 20mm front and back! A tiny bit snug though.

20120604_193501.jpg

20120604_193425.jpg

20120604_193437.jpg

20120605_234414.jpg

20120605_234408.jpg

20120605_234355.jpg

20120605_234220.jpg

20120605_234208.jpg

20120605_234149.jpg

20120605_234125.jpg

These are a little risque, so cover your children's eyes...

20120604_190626.jpg

20120604_190557.jpg

20120604_190534.jpg

the thighs fit great!!

Edited by bigtrev503

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a trick to cutting/fitting the thighs? I cut nice straight lines, and where the thighs curve, I have a considerable gap between the cuts where the the thighs bubble out and the sides don't meet up tight there.. :huh:

ATA armor kit.