Joining the Darkside: AP Armour ordered!

After years of wanting, wishing, hoping but never acting to get hold of a proper Stormtrooper kit, I have taken the plunge and ordered up a kit from Mark at AP. Being that I am NOT a very crafty nor patient individual with craft/building, I am paying the extra to go first class and have the kit built to my size specs.

As such, this thread will be slow to evolve, but I hope to get guidance and feedback from this community on the "what else" I need to obtain to get troop ready.

On the list to obtain in the next month or two:

1. Boots (i presume TKboots is the way to go). Do they run true to their sizing? I wear a 10.5. They only list full sizes, would you recommend 10 or 11?

2. Neck Seal - TBD on where to go for that. I may consider having my mom sew one up for me if I can find a good template. She is a sewing genius, so why not take advantage. and LUCKILY, I will be back home in Paradise, California this summer for her to assist.

3. Black under gear - latest recommendation is the Eastbay compression top and bottom. they have a good deal going, so I may take advantage.

4. Blaster - This may need to be my top project. from what I have read, I believe I can handle building one of these Doopydoos kits. It's just darned expensive to get it shipped over to Toronto. Will keep my eyes out for other options. Certinaly open to suggestion.

5. Whatever mods needed to my kit when it arrives. I am guessing I will go for EIB if all is on track with the fit.. I am sure there will be tweaks needed here or there and I am pretty confident that I want do get some Fans and voice capability in the longer term.

6. Getting my 501st acceptance of course and getting that 1st troop under the belt will be very exciting.

7. Whatever I have not thought of yet.

That's all I will keep you posted here as things evolve. Thanks to everyone that has been so welcoming so far, I look forward to hearing from more of you!

Congrats Charles. Good choice. Mark from AP is very responsive and great to work with. Like I mentioned TKboots definitely - I would go with the 10, their sizes seem rather large. I'm actually a 10 and I went with their 9.

Blaster wise - yeah you don't have a choice really unless someone has a Doopys kit lying around. I sucked it up and got it shipped here. I picked up the Hasbro conversion kit and a DL44 for my sister as well.

Voice - I spent a lot of time researching this and I went with Aker+iComm combo, best value for money imho. It's in the ongoing sales forum.

Excellent... :smiley-sw013: Welcome to the Darkside!!

Keep and eye on ebay for blasters, they do have some nice ones pop up from time to time. Trooperbay has nice neck seals and lots of other TK goodies, he is a brother Trooper as well, TK4510, Mike will treat you right. Good advice above about the TK boots too.

When you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

Charles,

Congrats on the armor. I ordered one of those doopydoo kits and while it does make the Hasbro gun look a lot better, I have found that a hyper-firm blaster is much better looking and much lighter.

I don't know what your spending limit is, but I got one from the guys at sci-fire.com and don't regret it at all. They make an ANH, ESB, and ROTJ version of the E-11 and when it arrives it is already painted and weathered. The price was around $200-$250. Hope this helps.

Brian (TK-6287)

Golden Gate Garrison

I hear that the Ap builder is doing 14 kits. man... that must take a long time!

Vern,

I guess I'll have plenty of time to prepare the extra items. Which great member of the board will i have the pleasure of thanking for the build assistance?

I see you are in Chico. My mom lives right up the hill in Paradise. I'll be coming through this summer. Perhaps I can visit a local troop to meet some west coast TKs. Would love my son to meet some troopers before I get my kit. I'll be around weekdays July 23 - Aug 3. Weekends at my sisters house in Woodland.

I went with the 11 I also am a 10.5 and with the extra room I put a nice thick pair of insoles

Ooo there's a good plan. Thanks Rusty

Voice - I spent a lot of time researching this and I went with Aker+iComm combo, best value for money imho. It's in the ongoing sales forum.

I thought I saw a vid for the icomm stuff a while back. Electronics will definitely be a round 2 purchase once I get settled in withe the necessities.

UPDATE:

I am going to go with the DoopyDoo conversion kit for the blaster, as I have just today scored a Hasbro Stormtrooper Blaster today (by luck or guidance from the Dark Side...)

cb

Edited by chookaboom

Greetings Charles,

I'm from Orillia north of you. I ordered my AP on April 28th and like you I wanted it built and with all the extras. At the time Mark told me his builder had 8 suits he was working on ahead of me. He advised a minimum 10 week wait time. Got my undersuit from House of Scuba and it arrived in 4 days. I wear a size 9 and TK Boots said my size as well as 10 and 11 were sold out and there would be a six week waiting period. Ordered a doopydoo but it hasn't arrived yet. Went for the 16 watt Aker but still shy about spending another $100 more for the icomm. I'll see what the Aker sounds like first and then decide.

I've only been on this site a couple weeks and the people have been most helpful and I'm still finding information I need everywhere here. I'm planning to join the 501st in Toronto when I get set up. Probably run into you at FanExpo at the end of August.

Cheers.

Edited by Malarky

Congrats Charles. I ordered my AP suit in November, fully built and customized. I am still waiting. I wouldn't get your hopes up on getting your suit for a few months. It will certainly be worth the wait. There are many of us who chose not to build ourselves and the AP builder is hard at work on many armor sets. I got TK boots, Neck seal, Eastbay under suit, Doopy Doos Hasbro conversion and now just ordered a full Doopy Doos kit to have a more accurate blaster. Enjoy the build.

Greetings Charles,

I'm from Orillia north of you. I ordered my AP on April 28th and like you I wanted it built and with all the extras. At the time Mark told me his builder had 8 suits he was working on ahead of me. He advised a minimum 10 week wait time. Got my undersuit from House of Scuba and it arrived in 4 days. I wear a size 9 and TK Boots said my size as well as 10 and 11 were sold out and there would be a six week waiting period. Ordered a doopydoo but it hasn't arrived yet. Went for the 16 watt Aker but still shy about spending another $100 more for the icomm. I'll see what the Aker sounds like first and then decide.

I've only been on this site a couple weeks and the people have been most helpful and I'm still finding information I need everywhere here. I'm planning to join the 501st in Toronto when I get set up. Probably run into you at FanExpo at the end of August.

Cheers.

See you at FanExpo too! :)

Went for the 16 watt Aker but still shy about spending another $100 more for the icomm. I'll see what the Aker sounds like first and then decide.

Cheers.

For what it's worth coming from me. Go with the iComm. Best value for money out there. Aker is okay on it's own - very good amp but iComm makes a huge difference.

Congrats Charles. I ordered my AP suit in November, fully built and customized. I am still waiting.

You've been waiting over 20 weeks? Have you spoke to Mark about why it's taking so long? Was he waiting for enough orders to do a molding run?

Edited by Malarky

Hi Charles!

Congrats on your AP. That's what I went with and I went ahead and put mine together.

I did cheat on the bucket, and shipped it to Trooperbay. I had him install my squirrel

fans and had him custom paint ti too. I was happy with it! It's a bit small, but I have a

smaller head.

I had to go back on my armor lots of times and adjust / cut / sand, but it's fun for me. :)

And for Kevin, I feel your pain, bro! :)

I ordered my full (unassembled) AP in OCT 2010, and received it in MAR 2011. :)

There were boarder issues beyond Mark's control, and we all know stuff happens!

It was well worth the wait and I love trooping in it. I tried to be patient, and I think

I'm still on Mark's good side?! Everybody kept telling me that lots of people wait when

it comes to this hobby and that most of us still have our real jobs and families and all

that good stuff that has to come before the 501st.

pssst... Don't tell the Emperor I said that!!!!! :lightemperor: haaa haaa!

Cheers and enjoy the journey!

Jenny

You've been waiting over 20 weeks? Have you spoke to Mark about why it's taking so long? Was he waiting for enough orders to do a molding run?

I did speak with Mark and he told me that the armor was sent to the builder a few months ago. It is out if his hands. Mark has been great to deal with and always replied to my emails promptly. I am aware that the builder has been swamped with many builds. As Jenny said, they have jobs and lives. I still believe that the finished product will be worth the wait.

ok, yesterday was a great Day (May the 4th be with You!) and a sad day with the lost of MCA .

I'll also toss in a bit of personal BUMMER on hearing that the armour build request from November last year is still not fulfilled. I was so hoping to get my first troop in by summer's end and continue on through the year. Oh well, I guess that is the price I pay for not having any build skills (or so I would have myself believe that).

Next steps are to keep on grabbing the other items. TKBoots are next on the list along with the black compression suit.

Purchase Update: DoopyDoos Hasbro conversion kit was ordered. Here is a shot of the Hasbro still new in box, along with a Greivous blaster I got for my Son's birthday next week so we can pew-pew together ($37 combined for both).

7144691399_16fcab924f_n.jpg7144691221_7edd6b8985_n.jpg

Additionally on the good news side, I took my son to the Star Wars Day event in Toronto last night. Bummer that the local TK's had another rally somewhere else. We did nave a photo with BobaFett and a pint sized TK:

6998604840_14085ef33a.jpg7144690685_58680e8d01.jpg

My addiction continues as i wait for the armor order:

Acquisition update:

- Eastbay compression top/bottom ordered

- TKBoots contacted. On the list to get 11s when they are ready ( I plan to add inserts should I need to tighten them up.

- Blaster Paint (primer, metallic and hammered black)

Added to wish list:

- Inner Drop box

- Incomm + Aker combo

- Helmet fans. Will,wait to get the bucket before I finalize how I will integrate.

Reading reading reading!

Excellent Charles! On a good note, when you do get the doopys kit - it kills a few weeks. I'm painting my resin kit and waiting on my Hasbro conversion kit while I wait for my TK to come in. I ordered back in March REALLY hoping for at least June/July delivery. I have two Cons in August I need my TK for.

Keith, when the Doopy's shows up, I am not sure that will take more than a week, as its just the Hasbro mod. I don;t want to go overboard on this one, as I plan to get a full resin kit AFTER I get my full kit (gotta spread the $$ out a bit). I cannot say I NEED my armour by any certain date, but this will be the first time in 3 years I have been home for Halloween and I would love to trick or troop with my kids for a change. I almost have my wife buying into the idea of dressing as ANH Leia. I am also tempted to have my mom whip up some JAWA outfits for the kids when I am out in California this summer (meeting Vern hopefully!). for the kids, I won;t go full tilt boogy on the accessories, just enough so people get the idea (mainly the clothes, face mask and glowing eyes).

Now don;t get me wrong, I very much look forward to proper trooping too, but I got to make the family happy first!

Speaking of which, I really should have researched this sooner, but I gotta find a way to get a TK to my son's birthday this weekend, that would blow the kids' mind!

Edited by chookaboom

Acutally the resin Doopys if folks have the time would not take more than two days to do honestly but, us married with children types, free time is pretty difficult to come by. I have all the materials to paint my blaster but haven't found the time between work, a newborn, and house renos. But happy wife = happy life.

Charles if I had my kit I would gladly show up at your kid's birthday for a fellow Canadian trooper.

And about that ANH Leia... I tried that too. She's pretty negatory on it (we're very different in our interests...) but the other day she started wearing braids in her hair. So I think I have something I can leverage!

Work that braid angle. My wife essentially was about as star wars clueless as they come. My little guy started teaching everything she needed to know. She has come a long way in the last couple years. Heck he is teaching me the Clone wars stuff that I have had no time to watch. I catch an episode here or there but I really need to just get good and sick and watch it all in one go hahah.

I will make an ask to the Canadian Garrison to see if anyone has a spare 30-60 mins Saturday afternoon. It's my own fault for not beng proactive. Busy has a way of getting in the way for sure.

Acquisition update:

1. The East Bay compression top and bottoms are in :duim: . The large pants are a tad long, but I can work with it. The arms are spot on for the top. Very nice material and colour as Keith pointed out in his thread on the topic and I too will not submit anyone to the suffering that would be me in my All Blacks.

Should be good for those warm troops (if we have an actual summer here). What do the northerly TK's where under the armour when the temperature drops, as I imagine the compression kits are not overly warm.

2. Ingrid has graciously agreed to assist with some squirrel fans and fiddly bits.

3. Touched base with Chris with my local Garrison and hoping to attend an amour party in July to get to know the local folks and to get some up close looks at how they are putting together their kits and mods. I really hope I am not on my vacation in California at that time

4. Been in touch with Jim to get details on iComm/Aker combo. Will have that sent to me at my mom's when I visit her this summer (in Cali).

Next steps:

1. Hasbro Doopy mods. Sanding, bondo, dremeling and hacking (and maybe cursing from time to time just cuz) to commence in soon!

2. Patience and happy thoughts to the AP team for a successful kit build.

Edited by chookaboom