Sds build continues...

Hi Troops!

I recently got my suit approved! Thanks to all here at FISD for the feedback and tutorials!

Now offcourse the next step is the road to EIB/Centurion

Am i doing it right?..Am i forgetting things? I need some feedback again.. :)

A big thanks to Steve (Sparrow) for his tips!! :duim:

So here we go with the pictures...

Approval pics:

(these where taken before the modifications..)

TK_002.jpg

TK_006.jpg

And now the modifications....

Shoulders:

SANY1345.jpg

SANY1342.jpg

Belt:

SANY1337.jpg

Crotch and Butt:

SANY1334.jpg

Side snap:

SANY1333.jpg

Here's a point of concern...the ammo belt:

SANY1329.jpg

And just for entertainment.... a TM vs Sds....I want TM armor!!!! ;)

LTMRSDS.jpg

Cheers!

edit*

TD:

SANY1294.jpg

Edited by Red5

Wow!!! That armor fits you well, Brother!!!!

You mentioned that you were shooting for EIB/Centurion, I have concerns about that ammo pack on the thigh with the top rounded off. That might be the only thing that might effect EIB. There are other changes that need to be made for Centurion, but you can cross that bridge when you decide to tackle that.

Thanks guys! In the pictures above the shoulder bridges were fastened with velcro, which i didnt like, so i ripped it off and this is how it's now:

SANY1354.jpg

SANY1353.jpg

SANY1356.jpg

SANY1359.jpg

The ammo pack on your right thigh may be mounted wrong too... I believe the top edge of the pack should align with the molding on the thigh. In other words, it appears to be mounted too high.

Otherwise, it's a very nice build!

I agree, ammo knee needs to be trimmed correctly. I trimmed mine to creat a more accurate look. Minor thing, but other wise looking good!

33-1.jpg

33a.jpg

Edited by Sparrow

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Guess i'll start redoing the ammo pack...The holes in the ammo pack (crooked) were premade by AA... :( problem is i now got some small holes in my armor...what is the best way to close these again? Fill them up with something?

@Sean...i'll take small steps, so first up is expert infantry...i'll do centurion later..

Edited by Red5

I had the same holes in mine. I used Elmer's Wood fill to fill them in. Got it at home depot. It is the same shade of white as the armor. Unless you know what you are looking for one cannot tell where the hole is. Look atbthe pics, can you? I also used a dab of regular white glue to seal it in.

I used it to also fill in the wholes on the knee plate as it needs to be glued on for centurion.

Actually, if you trim a straight line down on the end, it might remove your whole all together, then add you curve at the bottom. Measure ten times, cut once!

As for the Thigh ammo belt. We do not have any requirement for it at the EIB level (other than the basic:

The small ammo belt is installed on the bottom of the right thigh. ) But for Centurion we do have "rounded at bottom". If it was me, I would just trim the back edge. If you look at the ANH stunts, some had the edges rounded more, some less.

SDSammothigh.jpg

Another filler, you can use Loctite Plastic epoxy (works well with ABS and HIPS) mix either some white model paint or some of the same material as the armor into the epoxy and fill.

BTW, you can fine this at Walmart, Hobby store, Home improvement store. They also make a 5min version of this as well.

epxy_plstc_s.png

Nice reference pics! I obviously mounted the ammo pack to high...I'll trim and see if i can attach it in a lower position...Thanks for the filling options too! Off to my local hardware-store... :)

Btw: i got the sds blaster...if i fix a d-ring(which i ordered from sonneschein, together with handguards) to the back...will that be sufficient for eib? I guess i'm almost there aren't I?

I first have to go for eib before trying for centurion right?

Edited by Red5

Got the ammo box done...

SANY1364.jpg

SANY1363.jpg

And put a brad in the crotch...

SANY1360.jpg

If i got time i will start the sniper plate this weekend.

In the photo's provided by Tom the belt is attached close to horizontal...first i tried the rivets at the same height but then the belt wouldnt be horizontal..so i took Steve's pictures as reference.

You shouldn't use others costumes as reference to your own (or you may just end up making the same mistakes they did). Inspiration is fine, but not as reference. Try looking at original suits instead.

Here are some links to reference pictures:

http://s381.photobuc...5/LFL%20Photos/

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=10786

http://s880.photobuc...%20screenshots/

Here's how the real deal looks like:

ANHupperrightthoghwithboxdetailrear.jpg

With sds armor you can't have the rivets even or the ammo pack sits crooked, as you discovered. The rivet on the inside of the leg is higher, but as it is on the inside, not as noticeable.

Who ever said the ammo strap has to be level?

As Mathias said, only use original armour as reference. Now Etienne has made the same mistake as you, Steve, and I am sure others will follow your lead.

Most of you guys over think the assembly of these suits. You try to get everything neat and even when the original armour is far from it. Kind of like how MR tried to make a helmet symmetrical and it just doesn't look right. Same with replica armour if you try to get things too nice. That wonkyness and slapdash assembly is what give armour it's character. I am not saying to make a mess of your kit, just don't over think the assembly.

Wonky is GOOD! :D