My AP armor build [*AP]

EDIT 1 - My armor arrived today 4/27/12 - SO EXCITED!

Hey troopers. I ordered my AP ANH kit trimmed with a finished helmet. ETA 3 months? Well in the meantime, I figure I should buy what I can and prep what I can. Read up on as many posts as I can, and watch some Dave's Garage on YouTube to get an understanding of how the armor gets glued, strapped and what not. (On a side note, Dave's Garage mentions a great idea for making the thermal detonator usable for storage.) I have mentioned in an electronics post that I am determined to get my iPhone fully functional for trooping. I might go to some iPhone forums for help locating software that might lend itself to making this happen with PTT, bluetooth, etc. That post is located at http://forum.whitear...showtopic=18998 where I will probably discuss what I find.

Here's some pics and a list of what I have purchased and gotten in so far.

018.jpg

Snap pliers, 1" black elastic, and snaps (TK300 says to use 15mm snaps, but local craft stores only sell 16mm), blue painters tape from Home Depot

020.jpg

8 clamp set from Home Depot (about $28 USD)

and this lil beaut from TKittell

016.jpg017.jpg

The belt looks top quality and other nice adjectives.

I think I will start my build by preparing the elastic straps with snaps. I just want to get my build started, so whatever I can do before the armor comes in, F it! Do It.

PS, white industrial velcro, black strapping, hard-hat helmet liner (TrooperBay) and some E6000 on the way.

Edited by AbrahamLINC0LN

As much as I think the heavy duty snaps are going to be strong and awesome, I had significant problems getting them flush to the snap plates.

If anyone has figured this out or a workaround - besides just deepening the hole because then there's not as much left to attach... I dunno...

But it's a good idea to get started.

I put all my females (?!?!) on snap plates and all males on the fabric/web/elastic parts. This ensured I could make 40 snap plates and never worry where they go or if I got a match.

GOOD LUCK! :) Don't forget to also order your boots and blaster/parts and all that other stuff....... gawd it feels like I never stop ordering....... a girl's dream! Nonstop shopping!!. lol!!!

You are so right Ingrid, it seems like I'm always looking at my build and seeing how I could improve or add to it... Everytime I wear it I think I can trim this or that adjust this strap and on and on... Now I have my lightsaber being crafter hoping thats the last thing I need so I can move on to my next build.... lol

Just take your time, measure twice and cut one time. Ask questions and check out others WIP threads, I learned so much just reading others builds.

Congrats on your AP-on-the-way, Shawn! There's also the under armor type shirt and pants,

the neckseal, and the Stormtrooper tee shirts for when you can't wear your armor! :lol:

so tonight I tried to start the snap system. After an hour of frustration, I realized the Vario Pliers come in one size and you have to buy an attachment to fit anything other than 10.something millimeters. FML. I wish TK-300 put a disclaimer about that. Not all of us know that snap pliers require special attachments. Oh well. I'll try to restart my snapping tomorrow.

As I said on my local garrison board . . . .

grunt, grrrr, pfffft . . . smoke a j

Hang in there Shawn! :)

It can be frustrating at times, but you'll get it all figured out and have an awesome set of armor when it's all said and done.

I try to NOT think of how much $$$ / time / effort I wasted on my own mistakes. [sighhhhh...] Hope your armor gets in soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Unless it's been updated since the last time I viewed it, the Dave's Garage series of vids is geared toward the assembly of FX armor, which is signifcantly different from AP.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to Dave's Garage - that was more about just getting an understanding of what it takes to build armor. I have perused the FSID enough to know that it is far more complicated than that. That being said, while I await my armor, I have bben doing as much research as possible.

Question 1: For ANH Stunt, there seems to be a lot of discussion of cover strips, yet I don't see it in the CRL anywhere. Are they required for EIB or above?

Question 2: How many pieces can I / should I velcro? I love velcro and for that expensive box, I'd like to use it.

Question 3: Return edges requirements?

Question 4: Does the ab/cod need to be separate?

you should not separate the ab cod.

cover strips are for ANH style of assembly, they are a MUST HAVE

return edges for the front of the forearm are all you need to remove. otherwise you should use screenshots for that.

you can use velcro anywhere you want, just remember that snaps are more robust.

Agree with Vern except the separation of cod. Well, mostly. If you don't HAVE to separate it, perhaps don't. I find it helps give me a little more flexibility in the groin area.

I believe cover strips are optional but i highly strongly pointedly decidedly recommend them. They look way better/cleaner. <wave hand> You will do cover strips.

You may have to cut flashing off to fit you in places, but you can (with effort and patience) put a return edge back on. However, return edges aren't required, they just look nice.

<wave hand> You will do snaps. The only place I don't have snaps is connecting my kidney and ab plates on the sides, because I wanted easier on/off. Snaps are strong! So strong I often accidentally rip off the snap plates rather than detach the snaps themselves. And I am only using mini Anorak snaps, not real heavy duty snaps.

Don't forget to order rare earth magnets for those places where the clamps can't reach, (ex. thighs) 2 tubes of E6000, sand paper, 1" nylon webbing since elastic can stretch too much IMO. Paint for the ab buttons and the details on the helmet, a neck seal. I'm sure I've missed something...sigh.

Well my armor has been shipped, expecting arrival Friday. Too bad I am busy all weekend :mellow:

I had this kit pre-trimmed, so I am curious as to how much re-working/cutting/sanding is required. I hope he sent extra ABS cuts for cover strips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the excess plastic from re-sizing pieces function as a cover strip?

How do you all like to start an armor build? Forearms --> Biceps --> Shins --> Thighs . . . .

Well my armor has been shipped, expecting arrival Friday. Too bad I am busy all weekend :mellow:

I had this kit pre-trimmed, so I am curious as to how much re-working/cutting/sanding is required. I hope he sent extra ABS cuts for cover strips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the excess plastic from re-sizing pieces function as a cover strip?

How do you all like to start an armor build? Forearms --> Biceps --> Shins --> Thighs . . . .

Depends how much you will be trimming most of the stuff i trimmed was only good for making snap plates he sent me more than enough to do cover strips behind the butt joints and to shim my ab plate

I worked my forearms first then my shins then thighs didn’t do biceps till i did the bells after the chest and back plate that way i had something to support them from hope this helps.

25eea416.jpg

Edited by Jeepfrog

Here's some pics and a list of what I have purchased and gotten in so far.

018.jpg

you might want to rethink the snaps i am going to switch mine out with the Tandy line 24 i will let you know if they work better also i used more than twice the amount you have there.

Edited by Jeepfrog

Well the UPS guy showed up today and a big grin shot over my face.

Insert obligatory box pic here:

cbf718df.jpg

Box opened:

b3994c90.jpg

Pieces out of the box still wrapped:

e998e9f3.jpg

Since this armor was purchased trimmed, I am looking forward to seeing how each piece fits. Though one thing I noticed already was RETURN EDGES!!!

9fbbe8ff.jpg

my pops was holding that chest plate up

I got a lot of stuff going on this weekend, so as much as I'd love to just disappear into nerd-vana and just get this armor built, I have to wait a few days. But rest assured, I will be unpacking the pieces and ooh-ing and ahh-ing and marvelling at the awesome shiny new armor. Props to TK-1336 for making my day.

Edited by AbrahamLINC0LN

also note, I was sent cover strips for all parts. He even included some black elastic and black chem gloves. I probably should have asked him while trimming to round the ammo on the knee and cut the belt at 45 degree angle, but oh well, I can cut and sand those beasts down myself. I'm curious how the sniper plate will mount. Obviously, stay tuned.

After a few hours of messing around with the trimmed pieces and sanding, I have a question for you experts.

On the forearms, I have something like 20-25 mm on each inside end that I am to butt join. Do I need to trim that down more to like 8-15 mm per side? For all other arms, shins, legs, do I want to trim them all down to have the cover strip covering most of the face of where the pieces join?

Like they say pictures do help but I think I know what you are talking about I did trim mine down but I wanted my forearms tighter around my arm wen I get home I will take a photo of mine for you

After a few hours of messing around with the trimmed pieces and sanding, I have a question for you experts.

On the forearms, I have something like 20-25 mm on each inside end that I am to butt join. Do I need to trim that down more to like 8-15 mm per side? For all other arms, shins, legs, do I want to trim them all down to have the cover strip covering most of the face of where the pieces join?

Be careful not to trim too much from your armor... too much trimming may make it tough to fit your arm and hand through. The cover strips should measure 15mm for the arms and 20mm for the legs. The amount of "face" that you leave for the cover strip to cover should come as close to possible as the width of your cover stip, but may be bigger if your arm/leg size dictates.

If you have 20-25 mm on "each inside end", your total facing is going to measure 40-50 mm and most likely will be too large unless you have HUGE appendages. :blink:

Hope this helps!

So I trimmed down the forearm to roughly 13 mm on each side which leaves a reasonable amount of space on each side of the cover strip. When I rest the piece on my arm and bend, it pinches a lot. How much trimming by the elbow do you suggest and what kind of trim do you suggest: shave off the top or round down the part that stabs my elbow?

16e6a2bb.jpg