What's in the bucket?

As the topic states: What's in your buckets?

I thought it could be cool to see what you guys do to the inside of your buckets, and mayby get some inspiration for my(and mayby others) future bucket builds.

Did you paint the interior, what kind of liner do you use, what electronics and how do you fit them, what works and what should be avoided?

Lets hear it, and the more pictures the better ;)

Cheers

I have a couple of fans in the mouth which helps IMMENSELY with fogging. In fact it's actually the only place I found to completely prevent fogging at all. I've also got some teeball padding in there.

Two fans, a wireless transceiver and the mic.

I have only three issues with my helmet.

1. It's an FX. It just doesn't look right especially from the sides and back. I'm getting an MTK helmet to replace this one.

2. Being an FX it's huge! I have a pretty big head and even with the padding I still swim in the helmet. I intended to add a chinstrap before I decided to get a new lid.

3. The wireless unit in the back combined with the fact that I don't have a tight fit causes the helmet to want to tip back. I'm constantly adjusting it back down in front. If I were keeping this one I would add some lead washers to the aerator screws in front as a counter balance.

My tips -

The velcro holding the fans worked well as I ended up adjusting them further out so I can peek through the mouth when needed.

Same for the mic, it is held on with velcro and 1st it's never budged, second if I had to I can adjust it. Turns out I got it dead right the first time and it's placement is perfect. The mic rests right up against my mouth.

I created a ring of velcro around the inside of the lid. This is helpful but next time I'll use the other side of the velcro, the hooks. Those pads will attach directly to the hooks.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I have a couple of fans in the mouth which helps IMMENSELY with fogging. In fact it's actually the only place I found to completely prevent fogging at all. I've also got some teeball padding in there.

+1 - In the x-mas parade I would have been blind without them to prevent fogging.

Like the helmet, but doesent your hair get stuck in the fans?

Have any of you tried to install speakers?

James: Wow thats a nice and tidy helmet!!

I guess you have your speakers in the chest then??

Why does the hovi back go so long inside the helmet though??

Edited by Arnie_DK

Like the helmet, but doesent your hair get stuck in the fans?

Have any of you tried to install speakers?

James: Wow thats a nice and tidy helmet!!

I guess you have your speakers in the chest then??

Why does the hovi back go so long inside the helmet though??

- I've no facial hair and pretty short hair on my head. I also wear balaclava so no chance of getting tangled. Also the fans don't have a lot of torque so even if you got a hair in there it's not going to suck you in or anything. You could always glue a little screen over the side to prevent hair creeping in there.

- I'm interested in having speakers in the hovi's though I've heard feedback is a problem.

- 1 speaker on the front AB plate. Plan to add a second in the backplate.

- The hovi's do stick out which is why I capped them with the rubber stoppers for aesthetics. I could have cut them too, this is just the way I went and never tweaked it.

The hair thing was meant for Gazmosis helmet, but i guess a balaclava solves his problem as well :)

I have tried putting hovi speakers in my FX bucket, but yes the feedback is quite a problem. Hoping to find a solution though, as i would like to have the sound coming out of the helmet, and not the chest.

But i can see the advantage in having the cordles mic, so i might try that.

A wire from helmet to the chest is just a death trap as I'm sure to strangle myself in it, eventually :laugh1:

As luck would have it apparently I will be going wired for my troop on Sat. The wireless transceiver is very sensitive to battery polarity and after having the 9v in backwards for all of 2 seconds it no longer works. :(

Meh, some crappy engineering on the battery compartment anyway. They have slides rather than sockets for the contacts so it's very easy to flip the battery. I found a replacement unit, smale model on ebay for $20 so I'm back in busines. I'll fart around with the tranciever I fried to see if I can fix it.

Had a thought since they all use the same channel. if I can get it working again I might be able to get it out of it's case and mount the guts inside my e-ll so I can pipe my blaster sounds through my Akers. :)

I'm still totally sold on NOT having to deal with that wire. It was a pain and it kept popping out on my last troop as seen here. I felt very tethered. I also like being able to pop the lid on and off with no fuss.-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Yeah i hear ya.

If i had a wire, i think I would tear it out mid troop in frustration!!

I have seen some people attaching the mic to their chin, instead of the helmet. This would remove some the frustration of the wire running out of the helmet... but I just dont like the idea...But maybe thats just me :)

I've seen some posts about "throat mics" that you wear around you neck and don't seem to even need a bud near your mouth. That sounds like a great idea just haven't seen one in real life or had the opportuity to test one.

Ahh... yeah i know those.

I have seen them at Softgun events and i think the British army uses them as well. But i have only seen them as PTT, so i dont think it would work, with the neck seal, and unbendy arms, unles you somehow find one that is VOX activated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2011 at 11:28 PM, James said:

Two fans, a wireless transceiver and the mic.

I have only three issues with my helmet.

1. It's an FX. It just doesn't look right especially from the sides and back. I'm getting an MTK helmet to replace this one.

2. Being an FX it's huge! I have a pretty big head and even with the padding I still swim in the helmet. I intended to add a chinstrap before I decided to get a new lid.

3. The wireless unit in the back combined with the fact that I don't have a tight fit causes the helmet to want to tip back. I'm constantly adjusting it back down in front. If I were keeping this one I would add some lead washers to the aerator screws in front as a counter balance.

My tips -

The velcro holding the fans worked well as I ended up adjusting them further out so I can peek through the mouth when needed.

Same for the mic, it is held on with velcro and 1st it's never budged, second if I had to I can adjust it. Turns out I got it dead right the first time and it's placement is perfect. The mic rests right up against my mouth.

I created a ring of velcro around the inside of the lid. This is helpful but next time I'll use the other side of the velcro, the hooks. Those pads will attach directly to the hooks.

that has to be super comfortable

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...

James, where do you have the wireless receiver? Chest or back plate? I have mine in the chest but having a real challenge with reception cutting out. Thinking about moving it to my back so I can extend the antenna a bit. What is your experience? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an ATA helmet and use a mic on informal troops. I am thinking about adding fans, but dont know about putting them by my mouth or ears. Has anyone experimented with these two placements?

If you look through the builds, you will find that a lot of folks place them in the same place I did, which is inbetween the ears and mouth, down near the hovis.

The main reason for this is that it seems to be the best position for air movement. It is pulling in fresh air from below and blowing it across the lenses (to prevent fogging) and keeps you nice and cool. you want good air circulation. 

I have the two fans in there and I sweat very little in that helmet. I cannot imagine not having fans and being in a summer or indoor troop!

Check out my helmet. I have a fully enclosed helmet with two fans, hovi speakers and Icom

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20105

Some are concerned about using fans and having the mic pick up the fan noise. If your fans are to noisy, that can happen. Most fans are using a 9volt battery. My setup is using 4 AAA. The difference is that it does not generate as much power, so they run much quiter, yet still blow a nice breeze.

The best thing to do is play around with placement and find what works best for you.

Edited by Sparrow