TK-0393 AP Build[*AP]

Received my box a couple weeks ago and am almost finished trimming the parts. I've started on the helmet first as I just finished up an MTK helmet build. I'm going to hand paint all of the details this time around. I considering using the AP helmet for my FX TD conversion and using the MTK for my TK as I like the bumps. :)

Definitely going for EIB and considering Centurion. Will be working on the helmet and snaps over the holiday.

Here are a couple of early progress pics. I'll post up more soon.

002_first_look.jpg

IMG_1136Large.jpg

IMG_1140Large.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys! Couple more snaps of the paint job. The corners came out a bit square so I'm going to round those out as well. Overall pretty happy with it for my first shot.

IMG_1166Large.jpg

IMG_1168Large.jpg

IMG_1171Large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been made and the helmet is finished. Overall I feel pretty good about it, although there were quite a few lessons I'll certainly take away from this process for the next one. Hand painted everything except for the tube stripes. Used decals for now as I try to dissect what I did wrong with the masking template.

Pics below...now on to gluing!

IMG_1213Large.jpg

IMG_1199Large.jpg

IMG_1203Large.jpg

A couple shot of my preferred padding method:

IMG_1210Large.jpg

IMG_1208Large.jpg

AP on the left, MTK on the right:

IMG_1205Large.jpg

Finally, a family picture for the holidays:

IMG_1217Large.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the kind words, all. Works' been crazy (par for the course), but I've finally had some time to put some quality time in on this suit.

Started with scoring and trimming the biceps and forearms:

IMG_1235Medium.jpg

IMG_1236Medium.jpg

IMG_1234Medium.jpg

I'm going with the butt join method and using the double enforcement method. Starting with the inside strips I cut 2 160mm and 170mm strips for each bicep.

IMG_1245Medium.jpg

IMG_1246Medium.jpg

Started on the snaps as well. I'm going with the Dritz Heavy Duty Snaps. The pole on the snap base is too short to work for the plastic strips. I'm going to go with the rivet method, but need to pick up some washers small enough to fit inside the Dritz snaps.

IMG_1240Medium.jpg

IMG_1238Medium.jpg

IMG_1242Medium.jpg

IMG_1243Medium.jpg

So the Drtiz Heavy Duty snaps don't seem to be working out. The pole on the snap side is too short to be used with the ABS strips and the rivet method has too much of a bump on the back side (i.e. glue side). Will return them and have Line 24 snaps on the way.

A more concerning note is that this armor feels very snug on me. I'm 6' and 185. That said I did trim the sides down on the forearms to 8mm each to fit a 16mm cover strip prior to test-fitting. Bone-head move but it can be remedied with a shim.

Shot of the test fitting below. Going ahead with gluing the biceps as they feel good. A lot of concern about pinching with the forearm, though.

IMG_1247Medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

News snaps arrived and progress is afoot!

You can see the size of the shim in the biceps here will require me to have about a 28mm cover strip. Quite a bit larger than standard, but it's no good if it doesn't fit, eh?

Out of town for the next 2 weeks, but next up is strapping for the torso.

IMG_1250Medium.jpg

IMG_1256Medium.jpg

IMG_1255Medium.jpg

IMG_1258Medium.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Working on the torso strapping now. I've found that the back/kidney/butt armor a bit too short for my torso with the default strapping. I've added a bit of length to the shoulders and am considering adding a bit of space between the kidney and butt plates. Any suggestions on how to best accommodate for a longer torso would be appreciated.

*edit: I look so glum in these pictures. Especially for someone building a TK suit.

IMG_1260Medium.jpg

IMG_1261Medium.jpg

IMG_1262Medium.jpg

IMG_1265Medium.jpg

IMG_1264Medium.jpg

Edited by Jancelot

I have AP also and a very similar issue with the back/kidney/butt plate. 5'11" and 180. Worsened by my bodacious female buttocks. (I wish.)

Can you adjust it so that your belt comes down a bit on the kidney, which will allow you to hide any additional gap you may need to put there? Right now your kidney pokes out under your belt, so that gap would be visible. (I had to do this a bit to lengthen my cod piece.)

Or perhaps a shim along the top edge of the butt plate.

Actually your jeans might be interfering. Try using tights. (Seriously. Or your undersuit.) From the back that butt plate looks fine to me if you don't judge by the jeans.

Also, if you look at movie pics, there are often gaps, at least at the side/corners of the butt plate, on all the troopers, so maybe don't expect it to be flush.

You look like you might need some shims on the sides between ab & kidney. I think this is fairly common, I've seen it on many an AP build and a few others.

Lastly, my GML said nobody really takes pics of you from the back...

Hope that helps. I'm sure other guys will have some great advice!

Edited by LadyInWhite

Thanks Ingrid! I ended up just going ahead and finishing the straps to set a baseline for fit. Turns out it's much closer than I had thought. And switching the to undersuit made a significant difference as well.

I'm going to shorten the shoulder straps a bit (in addition to switching them to white) and lengthen the chest/abdomen straps as I feel the chest sits a bit low relative to where I'd like the neckline.

I'll also need to make some shims/bridges for the sides.

Made some good progress today and am almost done with the belt as well...

IMG_1266Medium.jpg

IMG_1276Medium.jpg

IMG_1272Medium.jpg

IMG_1273Medium.jpg

IMG_1274Medium.jpg

• 3 months later...

And back on this project... Spent the past 3 months working on my mods for my Snowie. Getting close to finishing up gluing the arms and will move to strapping next.

The shims I put in the forearms and biceps fit nicely. I need to round out the forearms a bit though as they're very oval at the moment. Cover strips are drying and I've started on the Doopydoos blaster conversion.

IMG_1501Medium.jpg

IMG_1498Medium.jpg

IMG_1519Medium.jpg

IMG_1497Medium.jpg

Ooh. Nice hyperfirm. Scope seems super brassy, getting it to be of equal weathering as the gun itself might be a good idea - personal opinion only.

Agreed. I've emailed Lewis for tips on touch-up, but I know he's at SDCC this week.

After further fit testing it looks like I need to rip the arms apart as the shims I put in are too big. Forearms are interesting as it looks like I can do a tapered shim down to the wrists. However, I did make good progress on the legs this weekend. Onward!