So, can you guys not sit down in your armor either?

Hey everybody.

So with a LOT of reading, and lurking, cutting, sanding, gluing clamping, and patience, I've finally finished my AM armor--save for holster and boots. I won't make the 501st until the guys at TKboots finish their next run of size 11s in 6 weeks or so, but I figured nobody at a low-key haloween party would notice that my shoes were wrong, so I suited up anyway. I was also using it as a testbed to troop-proof my armor.

As I'm sure you remember, your first troop is a lot of fun. But it also brings up some... unforeseen problems. For me, it highlighted certain deficiencies of design. Things I imagine real stormtroopers would have faced every day.

Chiefly, I can't sit down without taking the ab plate off, and I can't walk up stairs while preserving my dignity. I think I need to cut the cod, but I"m not sure the best way to do it. What have been your experiences? Have you bothered? What else can I do to gain some mobility?

Also, what's the best way to shorten the thigh pieces? Right now, they have a beautiful return edge all the way around, which (in my opinion) gives the armor an awesome, idealized, and very clean look. I've always wanted ideal over screen-accurate (since we all know the movies were made on a shoestring budget). Can I shorten the tops of the thighs while still preserving the good return edge? Should I bother? If I don't want to mess with a crafting iron, will they dig into my hips after the cut?

Also, what other silly things can you no longer do once you're suited up? What otherwise mundane activities become a challenge?

With the exception of Han, you didn't see any seated stormtroopers in the movies. I just plan for being on my feet the entire time, and if it's an especially long troop (over 4 hours), schedule myself for a mid-troop break out of armor.

I can manage stairs, but I have to do a bit of a sidestep to go up. Down is no problem, with the exception of not being able to see below chest-level.

As for shortening the thighs, post some pics and let's see how they currently look. Personally, I think the less black undersuit showing, the better. The tradeoff is less black = less mobility.

And as far as "mundane" activities, going to the bathroom (be it #1 or #2) becomes a real hassle in armor, if it's even possible. I don't bother with it, I just make sure I go before suiting up, and manage my fluid intake appropriately based on how much I think I'll lose in sweat during the troop.

You mean like this?

----------

That was in my FX armor. I can also confirm sitting is possible in ATA as well. I'll let you know later on the CfO but I suspect I'll find a way in that stuff also. B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Maybe it's height too. I found I could sit when needed (e.g. tired) in my ABS armor as it was old FX and very robust. I'm a bit loathe to give it a go in TE2 HIPS, though I will sit on the edge of a tall stool. For cars/taxi's, I find that it's the thighs that are the hardest part - I have to unsnap them and rotate and sometimes have to unfasten the belt.

As for mobility - no problems with stairs in either suit,though I find the shins rotate when I do extreme movements, and I've done touch football in the FX and full on laser tag in the TE2.

All this with no cut in the cod. Then again, I'm 6'0", so ymmv.

I can sit down, lie down, climb staires with ease, run, climb ladders and even abseil in armour - but that's just my luck I guess ;)

You aint kidding mate :shok:

I cannot sit down without either rotating the thighs or removing them completely. As for stairs, down is easier than up, but I really like having a handrail to hold on to. Can you imagine going down some stairs and falling in your armor? I imagine that would be pretty painful.

I once did a troop at a symphony where we had to go down some stairs in the dark, with no handrails--AND they were not your standard size steps. Meaning each step was not about a standard 1 foot each. Each step was about 2 feet long. It was REALLY hard to calibrate it in your head, since you couldn't see the step, mostly just due to wearing the bucket but also because of the low lighting.

Circular stairs or curving stairways are a pain also.

God, why do we do this to ourselves?? :laugh1:

I can sit with the thighs off.

otherwise its pain in motion!

did anyone else but me? ever notice that it's painful to wear armor for longer than 5-6 hours?

:6:

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392