ANH vs ESB Vocoder detail

Looking at StarWarsHelmets.com I began pondering the Vocoder paint detail differences between ANH and ESB. I know there's no consistency across the board from helmet to helmet in terms of paint detail anyway but there does seem to be a general shape difference.

If you look at the Brian R helmet and the SFS helmet the Vocoder is sort of tall and skinny, with the centre three bars taller than the others, the next outer two shorter and the outermost very short.

Brian R helmet:

GX5d9fm.jpg

Set for stun helmet:

vEp4B4F.jpg

The ESB vocoders on the other hand are wider less 'stepped'. The general shape is more blob like

Patch back helmet:

430wMK1.jpg

John Mollo Helmet

3yHagd1.jpg

I was about to paint my ESB lid with the stepped style Vocoder, but now I'm wonder whether this doesn't appear on any ESB lids? Has anyone else noticed a general difference?

More importantly does It have any effect on the CRL or EIB and Centurion submissions? (I'd rather use the stepped Vocoder style, but still want to put my ESB up for EI)

What do you guys think? Am I getting too fussy?

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

I really never paid much attention to those details. I just painted the vocoder and moved along.

But yeah, I doubt the way you choose to paint your vocoder will affect your EI/Centurion submissions :P

The difference between the SFS/Dave M helmet and the John Mollo vocoder is minimal. I think there's no intentional difference between ANH and ESB. Some just have a worse paint job than other helmets.

I think it's a good point. if we difference the colors of the traps and tears on an esb lid, and we ask for tubestripes decals to be different.

it's possible that the vocoder could be added as a "may have" it's a lot of difference between an ANH lid and an ESB lid.

we also have the ears, and rank bar differences to consider.

ESB lids have quite a bit of subtle differences.

differences between anh and esb

ear rank bar more than one, and painted in the depression not on the bar

frown black

tubestripes one decal

colors different on the decals for traps tears

vocoder shape is different

eyes cut deeper near the temples

my 2 cents!

• 2 months later...

On the subject of vocoders.... does anyone have a photo of a screen used vocoder taken from underneath the helmet? I poked around on starwarshelmets.com but couldn't find it.... or maybe you have a photo of your accurately painted vocoder from below?

I'm having trouble laying out the vocoder on my RT-MOD. The lines of the vocoder aren't very clear... or even. Being tall lots of people will be looking up at my chin :)

Aloha and thanks,

-Eric

Thanks Mathias. That helps. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to really wing it. My vocoder is so very different than anything seen on screen :)

Aloha,

-Eric