Latex stunt neck seals research and build thread

What are we actually seeing in the photo Karin?

This is not what I was expecting to see comparing to the screen used neck seals.

Just a quick mock up to get the sizing and spacing right. And I'm trying various casting techniques.

E.g, the ribs are solid at the moment and such things,which will not be present with the "real" thing

Thanks!

See the differnce? Same mold, but differnt casting technique.

But as TM said, there's still something off; but I can't put my finger on it. After a year of research, I can't see the wood for the trees ;)

I'd really appreciate any help or input!

I think it looks great. Surprising really that we have not been able to run down what was used for the film.

I wonder how uncomfortable a latex choker would be? Great for display anyway!

Thanks!

Did you ever notice that the neck seal in the first pic (the color one) looks different than in the other pics?

The ribs are smaller,the spacing is wider... I think I know why! I need to take some pics, I'll reveal it later the day!

Karin, your sample is looking really good.

I've just been watching the "Making of Star Wars" and trying to get some more reference for this thread although it looks like someone has (obviously) beaten me to it. The colour pic above comes from about 35:07.

I wasn't able to get a good picture of it but watching it enough times seems to confirm that this particular seal is flexible rubber with a corrugated profile. I had thought tubes before or ridges (like Han's hero neckseal) but not anymore. Also noticed that it is sitting below the wearer's Adam's Apple and so he wouldn't pass the basic 501st requirement :)

Thanks!

Did you ever notice that the neck seal in the first pic (the color one) looks different than in the other pics?

The ribs are smaller,the spacing is wider... I think I know why! I need to take some pics, I'll reveal it later the day!

I don't have the pic at hand, but I think the first neckseal is different, because he wears it INSIDE OUT. This explains the wider spacing,thinner ribs and the different folding "behavior" :)

Glad you are cooking on this again! The latest test looks great to me--the only thing I thought was ribs maybe closer together in the relaxed state? I wish I knew more about these seals...

Thanks again for the pics! The ribs seem a little wider apart because this pic was taken with10" distance. If you go further away they look closer.

Karin, your sample is looking really good.

[..]

Also noticed that it is sitting below the wearer's Adam's Apple and so he wouldn't pass the basic 501st requirement :)

Thanks!

I didn't get that with the basic requirements.

Glad this is still going Karin! Looking good..i think your onto somethin! :)

Thanks Lou!

That's realy looking good Karin.

Looking forward to the complete one, count me in for one :duim:

Gerne doch!(Sure thing!)

I didn't get that with the basic requirements.

Hi Karin

Just my poor attempt at humour. The Stunt CRL says that the neck seal has to go to the top of the Adam's apple and the one in the top picture doesn't.

By the way, do you have a rough idea of your neck seal's eventual sale cost?

I see :)

Don't know yet. but I'll try to keep the price as low as possible.

The package will include a free balaclava, and there will be kits (cut & glue yourself) and finished ones.

But lets discuss details when I have something to show ;)

I've been trying to work out what your kit will look like as I don't know what you'll be able to achieve with your moulds and the latex. Are you going to do a sheet of neckseal that you cut to shape and glue or are you aiming to do a complete seal like this (ignoring the profile)?

Exampledivingneckseal.png

By the way the texture of your sample reminded me of the texture I saw in a screen grab of Han's neck seal. :)

HansNeckSeal.png

Good luck with continued efforts and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Thanks again for the pics! The ribs seem a little wider apart because this pic was taken with10" distance. If you go further away they look closer.

Glad to help! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical at all--the test looks great. :)

I've been trying to work out what your kit will look like as I don't know what you'll be able to achieve with your moulds and the latex. Are you going to do a sheet of neckseal that you cut to shape and glue or are you aiming to do a complete seal like this (ignoring the profile)?

Exampledivingneckseal.png

I once wanted to make a complete one, but I don't have the space and technology to make one. And I'd have to make at least 3 sizes to accomodate various necksizes.

So it will be a sheet,cut and glued to size. There is a large,visible seam on one of the screen used ones, so I think I can get away with it.

A sheet gives us the opportunity to use different closing methods.

1) completely glued. put it on like a turtle neck. Screen accurate, but if you are not used to tight collar and/or neckties, this can feel claustrophobic.

2) velcro. For those who like it ;)

3) A (hidden) zipper. As used in most ..ahh... adult latex clothing. Easy to do, no sewing, just cut and glue

The best way to glue and maintain a latex neck seal (and any other latex clothing) is to get a tire repair kit ;)which costs abour 3 bucks.

jb-pk21.jpg

What do you all thinkabout that?

Glad to help! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical at all--the test looks great. :)

I don't mind at all! I need every oberserving pair of eyes I can get!