Sandtrooper weathering tricks

I have my old TE in rotj that has gone crazy with yellowing in the clear coat, so it's about time to Sandy it up. I've been thinking out a few ways to do this, one in particular I know works stunningly well, just takes a bit of doing:

I once took a TIE armor set to work to sandblast off the Rustoleum finish as you can't re coat it. I blasted the black off of the white pieces, and HOLY SMOKE did it look cool! Black smears were embedded into the plastic, never to be removed. The surface was rougher and looked ancient. I ponder painting my suit a dusty brown and trying the same trick, but a little hesitation is holding me back. What are your best methods for making a permanent or temporary sandtrooper?

JJ

I've found that cellotape glue and a bit of brown powder paint works well too.

Stick the cellotape on (get that wide packaging tape) stick it on where you want in large strips....take it off and then throw the powder at it the armour. It will stick.

Then you can smudge it with your finger.

I've used both methods. TDH link and mine. Both look great.

It's sealing it that's the tricky part. Hairspray works but any other tips guys?

I used the braksbuddy method. As mentioned, there is exhaustive tutorials and full sections devoted to weathering on MEPD, which is where I'd suggest anyone wishing to do a sandtrooper go and get indoctrinated.

I have used the link tutorial,in addition good old chalk pastels from any art shop.Rub them on with finger,use sandpaper on them to create a powder and sprinkle as much or as little as you like.This then blends the colours of the base weathering and does not need fixing with hair spray.

For scratch marks use rubber helmet trim ,cut a one inch piece and strick it on your armour,leaves a nice black mark on edges or high spots and does not scratch because its rubber.A nice Subtle touch.

• 4 weeks later...

Day late and a dollar short... but here is what I do. I was taught by another master, so I can't take credit for this. I've changed the process a little, to add my own twist, but it's the same idea

I prep the area that's going to be weathered with sandable primer. *NOTE It adds an odd effect that I've not found with anything else (This is optional, and not what was taught to me)

I use cheap acrylic paints. the cheaper the better... :) Same types of colors as above. Dark browns, Light browns, grays, tans, etc... mix and match, you can't go wrong.

Dab on with a sponge brush

Dab off it a paper towel (sound familiar)

Here's the twist... if you used the primer and didn't use a glossy coat... IT DOESN'T COME OFF.... crap...

Now dab with a wet wash cloth of some sorts

Scrub with a wet wash cloth of some sort (just don't scrub too hard and don't "wipe" you don't want to have a weathering pattern that looks like it was wiped down (unless that's what you are going for.. ))

If you find an area you don't like, has sanding marks, mood hits you right, whatever... re prime, lightly or dark, and do it again..

Go dark to light, light to dark... it doesn't matter. I always finish with a light tan and a wash of gray..

Here's what I ended up with... as an example...

DSCF2252.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2255.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

Ab in progess...

DSCF2421.jpg

I was taught by another master, so I can't take credit

I wouldn't say i was a master i would say i am good at making a mess :lol: I see you did add your own twist to the process :) the funny thing about the style of weathering i use is there are so many different ways it can come out you never have the same trooper twice.

DSC08441.jpg

DSC08435.jpg

DSC07961.jpg

DSC07083.jpg

DSC08333.jpg

It can even be done to fabrics to give that real been threw battle look.

DSC08368.jpg

DSC08367.jpg

I really need to write a new tutorial on it since i have learned alot since i wrote the first one.... but i am lazy <_<

You ARE a master Chazz!!! Don't sell yourself short man. Your work is amazing. I love that it never comes out the same. I think it adds to the weather effect. Thank you very much for sharing with me what you know!!! It's a blast to weather this way (it takes time) but it's a lot of fun in the process.

So you like the little twist I added? I also like where the primer is light in areas, it adds another effect similar to the bare ABS look. The way you taught me gives the finished product a nice layered and chipped look to it.

The Braks Buddy tutorial is really the best way to do this, IMO.

But, it is a learned technique that takes time to get right, and achieve the desired results. I'm using a similar technique to weather Clone armor, too, and it's equally applicable.

Yes, I agree with Mike mostly. He is the meaning in my life... he's the inspiration... HAHAHA!!! Anyway, Braks is a great method BUT you can add your own flair to it as well. Just remember to look at reference pictures and have ANH on the TV and pause it in the desert scenes.

(Mike, pardon the shoulder straps)

Here is my chest armor...

tdchest.jpg

A wet sponge and acrylic is great. I used Mocha, medium grey and black, on a paper plate and daubed it on the armor. Let it set up a bit, say 5 minutes... Then dry towel (or buff) off the majority of what you put on their in the first place. That gives the nice, small splotchy dirty spots. But I added another diversion method... windshield wiper fluid with the same acrylics in a spray bottle.

Spray on, then blot the runs. Repeat 2-3 times. Be random. Then try to clean off areas where leading edges are... like on the teets.

I like how mine came out. Yeah, yeah, it is an FX, but everyone that has seen it says "HOLY SHE-AT!"

Later Brothers,

John

What I like about the BraksBuddy method is that if I screw up, it comes off easily. It will have some rub off naturally, so every once and a while I add some more.

Brian (TD2802) has a wicked weathering job - especially his helmet which IMHO is one of the best out there. Hopefully he'll share too...

Not like most of you haven't already seen these, but just incase any new guys haven't...

(very high resolution pics of my Sandtrooper)

http://www.tk1536.com/images/High_Res/HoldingLewis1.jpg

http://www.tk1536.com/images/High_Res/HoldingE11.jpg

These pictures were taken about sixteen months ago, and the armor has since seen a ton of action, so the weathering has become more "real-world".

Isn't this what the MEPD boards are for? We answer questions to the tune of "how should I shine my armor?"

It has to be dirty to have something to shine... right????

Now we can start a thread of "How do you SHINE your dirty armor..." :P

Isn't this what the MEPD boards are for? We answer questions to the tune of "how should I shine my armor?"

Unless it's part of my evil plot to eventually have the two combined - mwu-ha-ha-ha (wrings hands like an evil person does).

Yeah, this has been covered 1000 times on MEPD - they have a whole section devoted to it.

;-)

You ARE a master Chazz!!! Don't sell yourself short man. Your work is amazing. I love that it never comes out the same. I think it adds to the weather effect. Thank you very much for sharing with me what you know!!! It's a blast to weather this way (it takes time) but it's a lot of fun in the process.

So you like the little twist I added? I also like where the primer is light in areas, it adds another effect similar to the bare ABS look. The way you taught me gives the finished product a nice layered and chipped look to it.

Your to kind i am glad i could be of any help ;) and i do like what you have done with your suit BTW :D

Mike is the man that made me want to go TD (Paul made me want to go TK... sorry, I was TK for about a day).

I am going to try some more of your tricks brother! NICE!

Not like most of you haven't already seen these, but just incase any new guys haven't...

(very high resolution pics of my Sandtrooper)

http://www.tk1536.com/images/High_Res/HoldingLewis1.jpg

http://www.tk1536.com/images/High_Res/HoldingE11.jpg

These pictures were taken about sixteen months ago, and the armor has since seen a ton of action, so the weathering has become more "real-world".

I went very dirty with my Sand-trooper

Three colours of plastikote paint ( not the spray) airbrushed on in layers and then reduced with thinners.

The sand is a Stone TeX spray, put on carefully. Its can all be removed with thinners and a lot of elbow grease (not supplied)

sandiehands.jpg

Guz