Thoughts go out to our Troops in the Pacific

Shooter

I was pretty disgruntled this morning to have to shovel and clear the snow off of my car, until I heard what's going on in the Pacific.

To all of our TK's and their families out there, be safe, you're in our thoughts.

Ditto.

My best mate has just been flown out to Tokyo for a conference so I was really scared for him.

He's ok though

Paul etc maybe affected in a few hours when that wave hits the US :(

Hoping it turns out to be a little ankle wetner for them all.

So far some of our Garrison is responding as Cell service is being restored. The airlines are shut down, people are still walking home as the trains are down, and power is out for many in the Tokyo area.

In my 11 years here... Never have I seen this. I am very worried about our northern troopers. We have many in that area.

I am in the south west, so we felt nothing. Its strange that something this large on a place this small and nothing.. but really, its all very local to the north. Thank God Japan is one of the best places to be for earthquakes.

Keep those that are still in need in prayer.

A Tsunami warning was issued for New Zealand northern east coast and was due to his earlier this morning. According the news the initial waves were about 15cm high and increased from about 8.30am to 30-40cm. I havent heard any reports of damage.

We have just had a devasting 6.3 earthquake in my region last month, which was not as big as the one recorded in Japan. My thoughts go out to those people in Northern Japan.

Stay safe.

Scott

TK-3373

Can we get a sound off from Hpdblues and Femtrooper Julie in Hawaii? Hope they are doing OK as well. My thoughts go out to our friends in Japan as well.

I haven't heard from Tony, but Julie did post on the Legion board that she was fine, and set up on high ground.

AH Nate I woke up in the middle of the night last night worried about you guys!! I almost posted an inquiry at 1:38 am! Glad to hear you are OK. From the US Japan looks to be in ruins! Unbelieveable how things just got swept away like they show in the news. Just horrific.

Edited by TK-4510

Hope everyone in Jap is OK. Actully I realised that the 9.0 Earthquake didn't cause lots damage, it is the Tsunami done the dirty-job, wash away everything.

Horrible!

PS: just get a news: one famous Japanese AV actress "Yui Hatano " is dead. While the Tsunami coming, She and her crew are shooting a video on the beach......

Things are alearted here, but calm. Seems that we have a chance, 70% in the next 3 days for a 7.0 or bigger. Then the next 96 50% of a 7.0. There are planned blackouts for the next month or more possibly to conserve energy as 5 plants are off line. 1/3 of Japan in Nuke. So... we may be affected.

Travel is sketchy north, but OK here in Kyushu.

I can say...

STUPID AMERICAN NEWS stations... GO AWAY! The Japanese are reporting things that we need, not the crap that causes panic. Leave it to the stupid americans. Anderson Cooper.. You Chicken shucks! Living here, that punk is on a hill top on a farm far away "reporting" from the "middle" of the "Action".

Really, its bad here, but it will be handled.

There may be as many as 100,000 souls lost. There are whole towns that have been lost. Its creepy.

Keep Japan in Prayer.

Edited by Runnriottt

We wont in the area here have fallout.. well as of yet. That depends on the wind I guess.

God bless the Fukushima 50 that have stayed. They are true heros. I am tearing up thinking about it now. God bless them. God bless them.

Rescue crews have arrived. The military is helping as much as they can. Its such a task.

We have started to organize relief, and I am heading up a drive for diapers, food rations and blankets. We are to take them to a close city here and they will transport them to the North. So far, some of the bases have started to ration gas, and I think we will too soon. Power is stable, but we are asked to conserve to avoid a sceduled blackout session. I fear however gas prices will spike here soon. Kerosene soon as well.

We will be impacted... Indirectly. really, I think it will be a world wide impact. While I do not fear the plant and the radiation, it is a concern. Nothing like in Russia, that was old tech. This is different... bad, but different.

A print was just made availible... Not sure on the artist, but it supports the right cause. If you all can, please... A few dollars goes a long way.

Troopers helping Japan

It will be a while before all is well here again... but it will happen. I have faith that God will see us all through.

Edited by Runnriottt

Hey Nate! Long time no see. Glad to hear you are ok! So far the radiation exposure is not that bad. The hottest spots at the reactor site are rated at about 40mrem/ hr. Basically you would have to stand over that spot for 4 to 5 hours to get acute radiation poisoning. The symptoms for that is pretty much like a nasty virus. The good news is at that kind of exposure you'd be ok in about a month. Long term though all bets are off. I'd get the hell out of there. They are in a loss of coolant casualty. I split atoms in the Navy for 8 years so I know thats a bad thing. Also they said the fuel rods are melting. Thats almost the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing that can happen is prompt criticality. If the core melts thru the bottom of the reactor, you've got this huge blob of highly enriched uranium exposed to the atmoshere and it will burn extremely hot and unleash massive amounts of radiation at the site and most likely have an explosion of some sort. I don't think it will reach that extent. I would be willing to bet that when all is said and done, it will be cooled down, capped with a sarcaphagus and it will be fenced off for an exposure perimeter. STAY INDOORS! They are venting those reactors occasionally to relieve pressure, plus the fires at the reactor are creating radioactive ash. These are low amounts BUT if you breath them they stay in your lungs FOREVER so the more you breath in the fallout the more potent radioactive source material is stored in your lungs. Only drink bottled water. NO TAP WATER.

Once all the fallout settles to the ground you can go outside but i dont recommend drinking tap water over there ever again.

Glad your ok!

Smitty, I look at your avatar... and I so want to buy you a beer man. We gotta troop man, we gotta troop.

Thanks for that write up. I was a snipe, you were a nuke. Good to hear from a source I can trust bro. We are very far away, in Sasebo, but again... depending on what or how things unfold...

We are positive here, keeping the faith. Ya know, it really makes you look around and take stock and thank God for every breath.

Take care!! BTW, I love the Code-Name of US Military Japanese Rescue Operation, They named it:

Operation Tomodachi!!

===== Operation Friend

I've gotten some more info

note: 1 Rem = 1000 millirem; 1Sv = 1000 millisievert

It is important to note that the health effects of radiation exposure vary for different doses. It is important to note dose is different from dose rate.

Dose refers to the total amount of exposure, while dose rate refers to the exposure per unit of time (typically per hour). The dose numbers provided in the following discussion are not exact numbers, but instead general averages. An acute dose (received in a few days) above 250-400 Rem (2.5 – 4.0 Sv) is considered to be lethal for at least half of the population exposed. Not much is known about doses between 50 Rem and 250 Rem (500 mSv and 2500 mSv), but the exposed person will experience acute radiation sickness. The symptoms of such exposure can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, burns, and hair loss, but may or may not lead to near term death.

Below this level, no acute symptoms have been observed. For radiation exposure of less than 50 Rem there is the potential for delayed effects such as non-specific life shortening, genetic effects, fetal effects, and cancer, but little is known about the long term consequences of exposures in this range. For doses less than 25 Rem there are not enough data to determine if such an exposure can cause any long-term effects on human health at all.

What this all means:

Highest readings found at Fukushima are 40 REM per hour.

Unless it regains criticality then this is a well contained nuclear accident and everyone should put a Japanese nuke worker on their Christmas list this year. So far Chernobyl was literally by the numbers 1000 times worse than this.

Edited by Smitty