Hook instead of thermal detonator

Hi,

i still have my thermal detonator unassembled over here, but i'd prefer to have this hook thing that Luke has when using the TK armor on the death star. You know what i mean? Does anyone here have a tutorial for making this or knows someone who sells it?

Thanks in advance

Andrea

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closest reference I found is the one on WAC's site:

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...
No biggie! Hmm, looks like I'd have to fabricate the whole thing, including the hook. That seems to be the hard part...

I am going to give this a try... I am a machinist and might be able pull off the hook. Ill keep you posted... If anybody has a high res pic that would be great!

you could use one of those key holder wire spring loaded things for the "rope". the box would have to be fabbed though... Might be easier out of light sheet metal painted white.

hmmm... got my puzzler puzzling....

So I am looking at the photos of this thing... I realize two things...

1. The detailed picture seems to be diffrent from the one Luke is using. This one looks like someones attempt. It is way easyer to make though.

Luke is holding what looks to be a "threaded" (for lack of better terms) handle attached to a three pronged hook.

2. Does the hook have to work. I cant for the life of me figure out how to make the tines (or hook grapples) work. From the pictures I cant see any hinges. To be cannon did the hook part work or were there two props?

I guess I want to know how you all think the prop should work, then Ill have a better idea on where to take the design next.

Now, where did I leave that free time?... I know its around here somewhere...

Great idea.

I don't think that the hook would need to work,just look good on the belt.

Whew... I can do this alot easier with out the hooks moving. Ill get you pics as soon as i get one done.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

I might have a go at forming the box.Do you reckon it's the same thickness as the plastic belt front or slightly wider?I'm guessing 4" square,with the backing plate maybe 4" x 6".I could do with some nice screen caps or pics before I start.

Going off of the pics TK 8020 linked to the thread it looks like the box is the width of the belt.

If you want to "rope" to extend, then i think the box size would depend on the reel used.

I am going to the hardware store on the way home to check some things. I believe the handle in the screen shots made of plastic hose thread adapter fittings, and the reel is the key holder reel type. I might have to just make the tines and the weight on the end of the handle.

I am still going to work on making a working one, so if you show a kid or something it would look cool...

The only downside to a working one is someone could hook you to something... LOL

I guess I want to know how you all think the prop should work, then Ill have a better idea on where to take the design next.

I'm with troopermaster. As long as it looks the part, it doesn't really need to work. I can't wait to see what you come up with. This is an awesome alternative to the thermal detonator.

It looks like someoen is already making them in Germany:

--------

They look really great but $80 + shipping makes it one of the pricier accessories (considering pauldrons and ammo pouches are about $30-$50, and whole TD backpacks can be found for about $100, and used thermal detonators about what - $20?).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've been interested in this too. I've thought about it. There are some retractable cable-type units used in construction that might be able to be adapted to a somewhat functional grappling hook line. You'd need a lathe to turn a decent collapsable grappling hook I think. I usually work in wood and plastic, not metal. I need to ask my local blacksmith how he'd make it. Still, I'd be interested in getting one too.

Don G.

TK-5372

Ill have a proto type this week.

I think the one on ebay is way to big as well. From the screen shots, its not much bigger than Lukes hand.

The logo is a little cheezy as well imo... :blink:

Ill get pics for you all this week I hope, and go from there...

Ill have a proto type this week.

I think the one on ebay is way to big as well. From the screen shots, its not much bigger than Lukes hand.

The logo is a little cheezy as well imo... :blink:

Ill get pics for you all this week I hope, and go from there...

Sounds great, can't wait to see it. As for the cog... well, you can only put it on so many things before it's total overkill. :rolleyes: