Shins wont fit around my boots.

I was doing some test fitting before I begin the cutting and gluing process, so I tried the shins with my boots on.

They don't seem to fit properly. They've already scratched my lovely painted jodhpurs.

I mean WTF! Shouldn't they fit lose-ishly around the boot tops, rather than really, really tightly and end up scratching the paint? Should I really have to squeeze the tops of the boots to get the shin armor around?

Also I need to take the shins in a little bit, which gives me even less room.

Maybe the boots have too wide an ankle fitting. If I measure around the ankle part of the boot it's 12.5 inch approx. The shin armor at the ankle is 13 inch approx. Are TK boots narrower at the ankle than regular johdpurs?

Maybe it's just me.

Sadly taking pictures is nigh on impossible.

HXX4nns.jpg

Try trimming any return edges on the bottom of the shins first, see if that helps. It might also help to raise the shin slightly, so that it fits around the smallest part of the boot.

The only other way to fix this is to use a wider shim / cover strip at the front and back and "widen" the shins.

I think TKboots might be a little narrower than your boots. Post a picture of just your boots alone with no armor on them, then we can see.

Try trimming any return edges on the bottom of the shins first, see if that helps. It might also help to raise the shin slightly, so that it fits around the smallest part of the boot.

The only other way to fix this is to use a wider shim / cover strip at the front and back and "widen" the shins.

I think TKboots might be a little narrower than your boots. Post a picture of just your boots alone with no armor on them, then we can see.

Or wrap elastics around your boots ankles .

Well here's 2 pics of my boots. I don't really have the armor sitting low on the boots. Any higher and they won't be on the boot at all. Maybe I will have to get the TK boots afterall. Well, join the huge waiting list at least.

I can have a go at making the bottoms wider and then bring them in towards the top so they at least fit and I don't look like some sort of weird shined freak. :lol:

RiDFeWV.jpg

IdmmyUT.jpg

Or wrap elastics around your boots ankles .

Ah that's an idea. Will give that a go tomorrow. MAybe I can make some sort of strap with a locking system so they stay in place.

I'll explore all avenues before doing anything permanent. I still have the whole upper body to sort out yet and that'll be enough to keep me going for a while. Nothing fits right, everything needs altering to some degree. And thanks to panatroopers awesome build guide, I'm sure I can have my armor sorted.

I have size 8 tk boots and have no problem. I wear very thin socks and my boots fit me tight. Yours seem large at the top compared to mine. Maybe have the white u-shaped elastic shorthen?

Edited by Quebectrooper

I have size 8 tk boots and have no problem. I wear very thin socks and my boots fit me tight. Yours seem large at the top compared to mine. Maybe have the white u-shaped elastic shorthen?

Hmm. Well mine are UK size 9 so that's a US size 10. The elastic doesn't pull the tops in to my ankles. I'd say that the boots are rather loose at the tops of the ankles.

I will try pulling them in a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Ugh this build is turning from "Yeah you can wear it out of the box, no problem, mate. It'll all be trimmed, strapped and everything" to "Nothing fits properly. You didn't really finish anything. You didn't give me any spare ABS for shims and only 1 piece of extra velcro? Half the parts which SHOULD have snaps and velcro arn't there. The middle ab buttons are mirrored, the helmet ears were bumpless, despite me asking TWICE if the helmet would be a stunt. You used velcro instead of rivets. the ammo boxes and ABS belt were so poorly 'bent' I'll have to re-do it all."

I truly feel bad for you Ricky. :( It sounds like you were sold a "bill of goods".

I know there is a tremendous amount of info on the FISD and we are willing to do what we can to point you in the right direction, give you tips, show how to mod things, but sometimes a visual aid and tips can go just so far. Also, you may need some hands on help with this portion of your build. I looked at the UK Garrison's map and it doesn't look like there is anyone in Whales, but there are a ton of members in the UKG. It may relieve some of the heartache and stress that you are having over your modding, by getting some hands on help from one of the veterans in the UKG.. Jump on the UK Garrison's forum and see if there is anyone that is going to be close enough to you that you could go to one of their armor parties. Or maybe there is someone from the UK Garrison that could meet up with you and give you some hands on help with some of the trouble spots that you are having. Since the guy had already pre-trimmed your shins and sounds like he over trimmed them. They were not built for you per se, and you may wind up having to get replacements for them.

Here is the UK forum link if you haven't already been on there: U.K. Garrison Forum Link

If you do need sheets of ABS to try to make shims, check you local hobby shops that deal in building RC vehicles. A lot of the people that do that, vacuum form their own vehicle designs out of ABS, HIPS, etc. If you can't find a hobby shop that deals in RC's and has ABS sheets, let me know and I will help you out in getting enough to make shims.

Tom :)

BTW, all the little TK lids represents a UKG memeber:

a2JeARe.jpg

Hmm. Well mine are UK size 9 so that's a US size 10. The elastic doesn't pull the tops in to my ankles. I'd say that the boots are rather loose at the tops of the ankles.

Ugh this build is turning from "Yeah you can wear it out of the box, no problem, mate. It'll all be trimmed, strapped and everything" to "Nothing fits properly. You didn't really finish anything. You didn't give me any spare ABS for shims and only 1 piece of extra velcro? Half the parts which SHOULD have snaps and velcro arn't there. The middle ab buttons are mirrored, the helmet ears were bumpless, despite me asking TWICE if the helmet would be a stunt. You used velcro instead of rivets. the ammo boxes and ABS belt were so poorly 'bent' I'll have to re-do it all."

who dyou buy it from?

on my suit specifically, i know i have to kind of tuck the boot in a little when putting my shins on. not a big issue on mine though, but similar in concept and i wear size 10 TKboots. if you have too much of an issue finding sheets of ABS PM me your address and i'll ship you a sheet. i think the dimensions are about 10X6. i'm not too sure, but i'll measure them when i get home this afternoon and let you know. if they'll work to help you out i'd gladly ship you a sheet. :)

Who did you buy it from?

Jedi Robe?

Ok little follow up to answer a few questions.

I bought the armor from CHIMERA BESPOKE. Not sure if anyone is familliar with that name.

I registered over at the UK garisson website and posted in the 'mentors' thread. They've had a load of new people join so the ratio of exerienced metors to mentees is out of proportion. John Danter has offered help and I'd be more than happy for any assistance he could give, but I wanted to make a start on the armor so if he did indeed pop over he wouldn't have me just hand him a plastic box full of armor and say "Here you go, help me!" At least if I made a start it wouldn't be such a task.

I'm still determined to do the upper body at the very least.

I'm currently waiting on a canvas belt from firebladejedi. So for the time being I'll sort out the shoulders, biceps and forearms. Also I can make those snap plates to be glued on later.

I'll post some pics later of the boots and half th shin piece so to better illustrate the problem.

I'll also add measurments of the boot width and the gap width of the shin armour at the bottom.

I really apreciate the help and advice. :)

VERY familiar sadly.

But I can say no more. :angry:

Ah, say no more. From what I've pieced together from replies to previous posts about my armor, it's a recast helmet and recast armor (the BAD kind of recast). I believe the armor is from germany or something like that.

Again, I can't say anything for sure as I have no real evidence. All I will say is buyer beware. I'll be sure to reply to anyone asking for recommendations on armor.

Hopefuly with some mods and cutting etc I can make it look decent. Then I can think about getting some quality stuff from a good armourer.

Ah, say no more. From what I've pieced together from replies to previous posts about my armor, it's a recast helmet and recast armor (the BAD kind of recast). I believe the armor is from germany or something like that.

Again, I can't say anything for sure as I have no real evidence. All I will say is buyer beware. I'll be sure to reply to anyone asking for recommendations on armor.

Hopefuly with some mods and cutting etc I can make it look decent. Then I can think about getting some quality stuff from a good armourer.

Ah sod it, what the hell.

The armour was recast F/X and the lid was recast SDS. Looks like he is ripping off some else's work now.

The guy who make the kits used to run a well know costuming group in the uk ( NOT the UKG ).

I now await yet more threats of legal action for deformation of character and libel. :rolleyes:

Edited by carbonitekid

Ah sod it, what the hell.

The armour is recast F/X and the lid is recast SDS.

The guy who make the kits used to run a well know costuming group in the uk ( NOT the UKG ).

I now await yet more threats of legal action for deformation of character and libel. :rolleyes:

Ahh right. I had a feeling it was something like that after a few people mentioned it was a recasted SDS lid.

If he does come back with some legal action BS, then he can shove it as there's photographic evidence that it's clearly not what it should be. I didn't see any mention in the ebay listing that it was recasted FX armour. If I'd have seen the word 'recast' in the listing I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot barge pole. He also didn't mention it in a reply to a question I asked prior to buying it. I still have the email and I've posted the reply below. If there's any problems mods. Feel free to edit the post. Don't want to get anyone into any trouble here.

"The 501st don't like mass produced armour.. this is made in someone's garage down south.. certainly not mass produced!! I assemble the best kits I can find or that the customer specifies according to their needs.. :)"

I'm very thankful for the help given and offered here on the FISD. Even if it takes me far longer than expected. I'll get this armour to fit me and look decent. At least then if/when I come to sell it, I wont feel any guilt for misleading someone.

CVOMjoL.jpg

lqb5ySt.jpg

yAODAqR.jpg

R7M4J8p.jpg

Just a few pics and a slight update.

As you can see, or hopefuly see from the new pics. The shin bottoms are about an inch shorter wide than the boots are wide.

4" for the armor and 5" for the boots. I guess this is why they wont fit over the boots.

I'll have a try at heating them up and see if I can make them a little wider.

The bottoms also look very uneven and don't mirror the opposite side when pieced together, but that can be sorted out with some trimming and sanding.

Don't really think there's any more I can add to this topic for now.

Thanks again to everyone who posted help and advice. :)