What's in a Name?

FIVE

So I've been finally watching "The Clone Wars"... and really liking it. One of the things I like a lot are the nicknames the clone troopers have. For those of you that watch it, you know exactly what I mean. They never call each other by their numbers — in fact there are episodes that talk about that very point — but, instead, by their nicknames.

I realized many of the guys on the forums have nicknames. Like "Skutch" (who I get to troop with now), "Dirty Boy", "Daetrin" and so on. Names that actually sound like characters from the Star Wars universe. Even "Rolf" sounds and looks like a trooper name to me!

When I originally signed up on my local Garrison forum I couldn't use a TK # or anything because I didn't have one... so I simply used my real name, "Noel," with the "e" removed. No'l

I always thought it looked "alien" or "sci-fi" like that. Plus, I thought then when people met me in person they would know who I was when I said my name.

The problem is a lot of people thought my name was/is "No.1"

And, people didn't know that my name was pronounced like "Joel" with an "N"... so neither worked.

Not to mention I never sign "No'l" when I sign autographs in public.

So, I started thinking tonight that maybe I should change my screen name to a nickname. Make it something that would "stick"... something cool... something I could tell kids in public, "My friends call me..."

I thought of "Roadblock," since I most often troop as the roadblock sandtrooper, "Cloud9," because I'm about to do an ESB build, "Sequel," because I liked Empire the best of all the movies, and a whole lot of others. But nothing seemed to really fit.

Then I realized... I HAVE a nickname!

It's a name that many people know me by in real life. In fact, at my first job as a character at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri everyone still calls me this when I go back to visit. It's a nickname I was given on my first trip to Australia in 1995 — and that you Aussies will recognize as such. AND it's a nickname that works, I believe, as a stormtrooper or sandtrooper nickname on a "character" level. The name is "Bluey".

"Bluey" is what Australians often call someone with red hair. And I got called it the first day I was there and it stuck. When I worked at Silver Dollar City they wanted to call me "Red" but there was already a (very popular) character there named "Red"... so I suggested "Bluey," explaining the origins of the name, and it stuck again. So I just sort of realized, "Why isn't this what I'm known as in the Legion?!?!"

I mean I have mugs, name badges, and all sorts things with "Bluey" already on it.

And for those of you who troop with me, you can start calling me "Bluey" in public... because I will answer to it!

So... that's it.

The name's "Bluey."

And yes, I probably think about this stuff way too much. :)

Hehe, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a new member introduction from a red headed Aussie.

Congrats mate, Bluey is a time honoured Aussie nickname. Wear it proudly :)

I'd never really thought about a nickname or even signing anything. An autograph? Really? lol must be a bit weird.

I've never had a nickname, not even at school. Everyone just calls me 'Rick'.

My forum name, which is usualy 'Venger' probably isn't something I'd sign or refer to myself as. Firstly, because most people pronounce it wrong "Wenger","Vengarr", "Venjur". I guess if you were around in the 80's you'd know how to pronounce it and know what cartoon character it is. Venger as in the evil one out of dungeons and dragons :)

So is it pronounced Blue-e, blue-eye or blue-why?

I guess it's one of those 'ironic' nicknames, like how you call someone with straight hair 'Curley/curly'.

Hehe, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a new member introduction from a red headed Aussie.

Congrats mate, Bluey is a time honoured Aussie nickname. Wear it proudly :)

Thanks bro!

I always have :D

So is it pronounced Blue-e, blue-eye or blue-why?

I guess it's one of those 'ironic' nicknames, like how you call someone with straight hair 'Curley/curly'.

Yes... "Blue-ee"

And yes, it's one of those things. I actually never got a straight answer from where it came from. But I sure got called it a lot... even by strangers... so it works well; I think it especially works for the whole "trooper name"... B)

I actually like your original forum name, No'l, and understood the derivation. But "Bluey" is cool too. Since it is a nickname that you were branded with a while back, I think it is a great choice for you. I will just have to get use to seeing "Bluey" instead of "No'l" :)

I have been called a lot of names in my life, a few of which I couldn't post here. B)

The only time I have had a nickname was when I worked on a movie set and somehow got the nickname "Knuckles". A lot of people that heard the nickname thought I was boxer or a mean SOB that liked to fight. On the contrary, I got it because everytime I did something on the set, I went at it with full force. But, I didn't keep the nickname after the movie was over.

When it came to doing my avatar here, I couldn't think of anything that stood out and I remembered I had made a funny pic a year or so before, with a Cylon hanging out with two TK's in a bar. I thought that would be my signature, but realized that people would question what is a guy with a Cylon as his forum name doing on an SW forum.

So, I came up with an elaborate back story that this Cylon was tired of chasing the survivors of the 12 Colonies and jumped ship and signed up with the Empire. Since it relates to the old addage, "a square peg trying to fit in a round hole", or someone who doesn't fit in, thus the name is Rogue or RogueTrooper.

Profile Pic:

photo-10238.jpg

I guess I thought about it way too hard also, like you did Bluey. Especially if you think about the fact that I made a back story just for my avatar. :lol:

...and its done..that was fast No' ...i mean Bluey!

I made the sig file one file for all the forums because I got so tired of having to change it 100 places if I changed it one.

Well... 3 places. :P

good to here Bluey. I'll be sure to remember who you really are. ;) Thanks for the story.

My nickname is and always has been Tray. Born Raymond D. Nichols III, my father named me after himself and his father just so he could call me Tray being the 3rd Ray so Tray has been my nickname since the very day I was born and I have never been known as Raymond ever in my life except on government documents.

Always nice to have a nickname. Some times I wish I could have one except that I am already one.

:)

Since we're on the subject of user names...no mine isn't what I sign while trooping. I use the callsign "Shadow" for my TIE pilot persona which is still under construction, and Cmdr Kyramla Goran for my ISB since there aren't any women ISB officers in the SW Universe.

In fact, the unofficial squad I belong to the 149th War Wolves encourages all its members to come up with nicknames and biographies. For those of you who don't speak Mando'a, my ISB name means "fatal" or "deadly metalworker" and in my bio I come from Mandalore.

As for tigger68 that one has been a nickname for years. I had a hard time staying still as a child so my mom called me her tigger and it stuck. Walt Disney introduced his cartoon version of the character in 1968 the same year I was born so it is a logical conclusion.

And yes I have thought WAY too much about it, but kids want autographs and I can't sign them "tigger" now can I?