X-WING & TIE PILOT HELMET progress pics

Almost finished.

Made in the correct color, gloss and thickness of ABS.

Still need to get decals made and tint the visor.

For the x-wing helmets, I plan to do a couple versions of x-wing helmet including both hero and background style.

For the Tie helmets, I plan to do a hero, background, and of course the AT-AT pilot (one of my all time favorites).

Here's some pics so far.

xwing_1.JPG

xwing_2.JPG

xwing_3.JPG

xwing_4.JPG

xwing_5.JPG

tie_1.JPG

tie_2.JPG

tie_3.JPG

tie_4.JPG

tie_5.JPG

I know a lot of you are already familiar with what differentiates a hero TIE helmet from a standard TIE helmet, but for those who aren't, here is a quick at-a-glance comp.

As far as I know there are 3 distinct hero helmets made for ANH. They started out as standard (background) helmets but were detailed and weathered for close up cockpit shots.

Every helmet I've seen in the film has the one metal greebly on each ear and that's it.

PS, there was footage shot for ANH of the standard TIE pilots running down the death star hallways and the hero TIE pilots in the cockpit that were used in ROTJ. All the TIE helmets were made for the ANH production, none were made for subsequent films.

tie_helmet_compilation.jpg

Here's an x-wing helmet compilation I put together to illustrate the different styles used in the films.

I'm sure that not all of them are accounted for in this comp, but it should have most of the important ones represented.

Hope it's helpful for those who aren't x-wingnuts. :lol:

xwing_helmets_compilation.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The TIE is clearly not cast from an original as Keith has rightly stated on the RPF. A picture speaks a thusdand words as they say. As a community I don't think we deserve to be lied to. Yes it is a great replica, but especially as you have said you will be selling these, you have a duty to be truthful with fellow collectors.

TIEcomp1.jpg

TIEcomp2.jpg

Joe

Thanks for the reference shots, Joe. All good material for my TIE project.

Just to make sure I know what I'm looking at; all three helmets which are pictured without a water mark are original screen-used helmets, right?

Yeah, I understood that, Joe. I just wanted to make sure that all the other helmets were indeed what I thought they were, i.e. screen used helmets.

In each case, the one with the water mark is the original poster's replica and the other three are screen-used helmets, right?

From what I understand, Gino is (I assume) stating that the rebel helmet and faceplate were casted from originals. However, his wording is elusive, and can easily be interpreted by some to be casted form an original tie helmet.

Gino, just be up front with us man, no need to confusion. Besides, your helmets our already top notch to begin with.

Edited by TKCaleb

From what I understand, Gino is (I assume) stating that the rebel helmet and faceplate were casted from originals. However, his wording is elusive, and can easily be interpreted by some to be casted form an original tie helmet.

Gino, just be up front with us man, no need to confusion. Besides, your helmets our already top notch to begin with.

It wasnt a rebel helmet as the didnt have the "ears" they were only used on the TIE & AT-AT driver i beleive??

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this, but real-life sometimes has a way of interfering with one's hobbies. :o

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): DO NOT BRING FIGHTS FROM OTHER FORUMS TO THE FISD. That’s not what the FISD is about and runs counter to the environment the staff is trying to foster.

The same rules of engagement apply to everyone – if there is a dispute, put forth the evidence and let the individual reader decide for himself. By bringing over posts from other people on other forums, a line is crossed. Furthermore, unless it is first-hand testimony from the verified owner and/or creator of said prop or prop replica (and by that I mean the owner/creator himself creates a post in the relevant topic on this forum), I don’t consider “expert opinions†to be in the same league as objective evidence – no matter who they come from. On the contrary, I consider it "hearsay". However, photographic comparisons are absolutely legitimate and are welcome.

Brian

FISD Provost Marshal

if there is a dispute, put forth the evidence and let the individual reader decide for himself.

Brian

FISD Provost Marshal

Ok sticking to the above rule - i hope, this is just something for everyone to decide on - im as far from an expert as anyone could get but this is something everyone can check for themselves very easily...

Ok it was stated that this was "all cast from original" (sorry have to quote from elsewhere to make the point) by that i take it as either screen used or the parts originally used to create them (I dont think it can mean anything else can it ?), it has also been revealed that a TIE helmet was NOT cast to create this, my point (or evidence) is as i have allready said the "ears" on the TIE helmet were only used on the TIE & the AT-AT driver helmets and were sculpted solely for those helmets.

Now if a TIE wasnt cast then where did they come from? there is only one known (original) AT-AT helmet out there (not counting the stolen one) did he have access to the only existing AT-AT to take apart and cast? if not then at least the "ears" are not original! if this is the case then what else is not "original" - Ok ive said my piece now decide for yourselves people. :)

As I said, it's all cast from original.

I'm not going into detail about exactly what came from where because I can't.

To say the parts aren't accurate is not only wrong, but ironic.

I'll be posting more pics soon so until then...

As I said, it's all cast from original.

I'm not going into detail about exactly what came from where because I can't.

To say the parts aren't accurate is not only wrong, but ironic.

I'll be posting more pics soon so until then...

Gino, I've not asked you to confirm your source. To some extent I can understand someone not being willing to do that (although clearly it prompts a problem within the community since in effect anyone can claim to have anything - but thats a different issue)

However, I've only asked you to confirm one single point, "My TIE helmet is cast of an original TIE helmet?". Thats a pretty simple question isnt it? Youre not giving anything commercially sensitive away by saying "Yes" or "no"

The fact is you know you cant say "yes" because you and me both know its NOT cast from an original TIE - which is why you're trying to play these silly games over the word "original".

Youve tried to misrepresent both RPF and now FISD and you've been caught out. Youve done precisely the thing you're attacked others for. Ironic huh!

Cheers

Jez

Does that ATAT lid pictured have chipped paint showing black plastic underneath?

GINO, you don't have to tell us the source (just in case we all go around there and take casted copies ourselves and then undercut you lol) just show us the pictures you took of the moulds you made from the original lid.

I know what I'd do if I ever got my hands on an original lid and the owner was kind enough to let my cast it.

I'd have a picture taken of me making the moulds, each step, and I think I'd even ask a local tattoo artist to draw them on my butt cheeks

You can't make claims like that anymore. You have to back it up.

Is this "all cast from original" in the same way your ANH TK helmet mold "touched the inside of a screen used" because that would explain alot :P

by your own admission you didnt cast a tie and we know parts of it didnt come from an AT-AT so i say straight out (as i have elsewhere)... sir you are a liar - prove me wrong, or you are just as bad as a re-caster who wont admit they have re-cast :angry: