Is this Matt-TE-thank you if so

Matt pulled the same crap with me all the time. In fact, the forming video that you posted was created just for the fact that (at the time) the ROTJ 2009 run of armor and helmet was going to be his LAST time making suits, so he decided to film it in tribute to it. Of course, he went on to produce more armor for 2010 and so on. I also bought the "mysterious" LFL cds from him only to discover that he was holding out on me.

Caleb

I remember that.

Doen't feel bad Joey. It wasn't that long ago that TE really was the pinnacle of trooper armor and the simply the most accurate you can get. I'd argue that the TE2 helmet is still that way today.

Heck, my first kit was eBay FX from costumejunkie. Ah, how things have changed. It's also a good reminder to never get too bent out of shape. What is the cutting edge today will be 501st base standards 5 years from now.

For what it's worth... I just added my 1st TE2 lid to my collection (now 5 lids), and couldn't be happier with it. I do admit that the armor in the video (especially the chest plate) seemed a bit flimsy to me.

I didn't realise my £700 TE HDPE helmet was made so easily :-)-bought directly from Matt as he told me he wouldn't be making anymore.

Sold recently for a lot less to a great guy in Austria.

That is not a moan as it was my choice but it is interesting to see.

I really really do appreciate this, good to see

Thanks again

regards

gra

All lids are made that easily, he obviously just hasn't invested in professional vacuum forming equipment. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the suit isn't any good. Do any of us even know what kind of equipment any of the makers use, I don't... And honestly I could care less... All I care about is that it looks great, it's not a recast of someones else's hard work, it's screen accurate, and it holds up while trooping. Look does a more expensive brush make someone a better artist? No! I'm really not trying to stick up for the guy... I'm just trying to Persuade us to think differently about all this.

Edited by TK 4702

No matter what we will all always be noobs ;)

QFT

The amount of "new" info on the ANH suit that has come to light in the last six months is testament to that. No matter how long we are involved with this hobby of ours we will always be in the position to learn something new and therefore be "newbies". B)

Edited by carbonitekid

Matt Gauthier. There is probably not anymore that I can say about him that hasn't already been said here before, that wouldn't be redundant. I think when it comes to Matt, it is a very sad tale that someone could become so self important over some plastic. He has actually cut his own throat by doing the things that he has done to the community that has supported him.

I think in his own mind he is God like. Since he was allowed to go to Lucas archives and was allowed to hold and view the original props, this somehow made him feel as though he is better than the averge person. Also, he felt that since he had moulds that came off of original props, that he was superior to everyone else. Taking all this into consideration, he got quite the "big head" and felt that he could do no wrong.

On a side bar, I know that someone would say this is speculation, but just watching his video, gives the impression that the man has some problems/issues other than just pretentious delusions of grandeur(and I am not talking about his bi-polar illness). He speculated that he had done an average of 30 suits a month over a 10 year period = 3600 suits (if each suit sold for $700.00 USD, not counting S & H). Anyone can do the math. That equals $2,520,000.00 USD......this is over and above his real job salary. Now if you look at his house in the video, it does not appear to be a mansion, but a very modest , older home. Since he works out of his kitchen and does not appear to have a shop that he rents or invested money to build, but to quote him a "ghettofied" way of making suits, where then did all this money go, if you get my drift.

No you don't have to have elaborate equipment to thermoform, but if you strive to do better then you are looking to invest and upgrade your equipment and methods of operating.

Also, if you are buying product that is color tone matched and authentic to the original props that can cost you more (special order), but a lot of what Matt was doing was in HIPS, which is relatively inexpensive.

I am no cheerleader for this man. He burned me, as well, a couple of years back, and believe me, the scar does not heal. I did get my money back from him and got him in some legal trouble. On a high note about Matt, he did provide some information that has helped us to go forward with more accurate props. But that is about all I can say nice about him.

There is a Latin term "caveat emptor" or buyer beware. We will all do well to keep this in mind when dealing with wolves dressed in sheeps clothing.

As I am soon to leave my present job, full time service to the crown, I will now have to get another job, as my wife has been doing for many years.

I will have to account for tax etc before I can budget my take home income, maybe the question should be how much profit that he has taken from us, has been paid to the taxes in the US.

I still have his address from my helmet box, would only take a phonecall, we all know what happened to Al Cappone and having seen the profit margins worked out I certainly would not feel guilty.

The way things are made is NOT my problem, the little concern he shows to the product when made and lies he told me to part with more money are. And many many more feel the same.

Merry Christma however to all others on FISD

Regards

G

Edited by tk7713gra30

Well we all know Matt never mad anywhere close to 3600 suits. If he made a quarter that many the face of the Legion would have been very different many years ago, it's all pointless boasting on his part.

I also received an email from him.

"Still spreading bû!!$h+t you sad little man. Merry Christmas!"

Nice eh?

I smell a mole.

:unsure::mellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WC9ShVj9lA&feature=related

:lol:

I had an email apologising for not sending out my lids and that he will send them to me in the new year!

After all it's only been 2 years.

Who knows maybe after all this time I might actually see what I payed for.

I thought he said he'd retired :lol::lol::lol: