TD / HWT Armor Build for my 9 yr old

Got this kit about a week ago and have been working on it like crazy to get it ready for Halloween.

Surprised my boy with it. He is totally syched!

Building this just like a full size suit with all the same strapping techniques.

Body armor is .060 ABS and bucket kit is HIPS.

Even built a mini TD backpack for him.

Please ignore the red Under Armor and PJ bottoms! LOL

Here are some pics...

AJSandtrooperArmor001.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor005.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor004.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor011.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor012.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor013.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor014.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor015.jpg

Wow...very impressive! He'll have the best costume in the neighborhood for sure! When my son is a little older, I'd love to do something like that for him...right now, he's two and enjoys swinging a lightsaber at everything.

Have fun, and post more pics!

John, the back pack looks great! How old is your son? I have a 6 year old that might fit that armor, but I'm afraid that he wouldn't be as interested in it as I would! I'm sure once he realized how hard it is to move around in it and also see, that he wouldn't wear it that often.

John, the back pack looks great! How old is your son? I have a 6 year old that might fit that armor, but I'm afraid that he wouldn't be as interested in it as I would! I'm sure once he realized how hard it is to move around in it and also see, that he wouldn't wear it that often.

Hey Ryan! My boy is 9, but he takes after his Mom and is a bit on the small side.

The guy I got the kit from is over on the Legion boards, but he said he is taking a break for a while with pulling kits until after the New Year. He doesn't do many kids kits and I think I got the last one he was doing for awhile.

The kit is made to fit someone up to about 4' 5" and max 50-55 lbs. It fits him perfectly so he will only get maybe 6 mos to a year out of it. We'll see. I really enjoyed building it. I would do another if I could find a kit this nice but a bit bigger for him as he grows.

Edited by Quartermaster

Build Update!!

Helmet is basically done. All painting done, tube stripes installed, Neck and brow trim installed, metal mesh in frown, hovis and mirrored green lenses. The hovis are resin cast sceen accurate, but they stuck out way to far so I sanded/trimmed the ends off a bit to shorten them up. Just gonna put some padding in there and if I have time a small fan, maybe a cheap mic and amp.

Here are a few pics next to a full size MRCE Bucket.

AJSandtrooperArmor016.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor017.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor020.jpg

Thanks for all the great comments on this! It has been a fun build!

Finished the inside of the bucket.

Padding installed. Even put some thin padding around the bottom of the lenses (the boy was complaining that the bottom edges of the lenses were touching his face just below his eye).

Also installed a squirrel fan, switch and 9v batt.

AJSandtrooperArmor023.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor024.jpg

OK everyone. The boys gear is completed! I am going to wait to due some weathering until after Halloween.

He wants to be a "Shiny" for his school parade. He is also going to be entered in a Costume Contest this Friday.

He won 1st place last year with a vintage Robot costume I built for him.

And now for the unveiling.....drum roll please........................

AJSandtrooperArmor029.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor026.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor027.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor028.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor034.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor035.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor038.jpg

Couldn't find any TK boots in a size 2, so for now I picked up a cheap pair of mostly white sneakers from walmart for about $8 and spray painted them with Krlon Fusion Gloss White.

Had a real rubber tubing neck seal that I got awhile back from Rom/FX that I was able to cut down to his size.

Also managed to put an SEA Small Talk Amp behind the chest plate and hot glue the small mic in the frown.

Got it off Ebay for $9!

AJSandtrooperArmor040.jpg

Edited by Quartermaster

Thank guys! He is really stoked about it.

Special thanks go out to Pandatrooper for the screen accurate orange pauldron he made special for my boy.

It came in today and it is amazing!!!!!!!

I will have him suit up again (which won't be too hard) and get some new pics with the pauldron on.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post some more recent pics of the boy suited up with his custom pauldron. Special thanks to Terry, aka Pandatrooper for the awesome job on the pauldron! I am planning on bringing him on a future troop with me soon. Got the OK from my CO. As long as it's not a Canon or LFL event, he can tag along. I will have to post some pics of that when it happens.

Also got some kids sized TK boots on the way! Should be here in a few days.

AJSandtrooperArmor041.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor042.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor043.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor059.jpg

AJSandtrooperArmor057.jpg

Edited by Quartermaster

Awesome "mini-me" armor you got for your son, John. :duim: Are you going to keep it clean (HWT) or go dirty (TD)?

dude that came out fantastic!! you gotta bring him down to troop with me and Logan, or we'll try to get up there one day. I am going to start on Logan's TK soon, gonna be my winter project, hope it comes out as good as yours hahahaha

I think he looks fabulous. :)

Have you decided if he'll stay clean as a mini-HWT or have him go "dirty" and be a mini-TD?

Hey Terry. Thanks for the Kudos. Right now he is liking the HWT title. We are gonna go full TD with it and weather it up, just not sure when yet. I am still planning on taking you up on the weathering. Got his TK boots a few days ago. Now I just have to trim and taper the shins a bit.

BTW...I still owe you a Beret. Let me know what size you are and I'll get one to you my friend!