interior strapping

Hey everyone,

I'm currently building my AP armor. I'm 6 feet tall and I'm doing the strapping method. I've been browsing threads and searching and I haven't found what works for me.

Can I see how a lot of you guys have done this? Measured it? How do you get it to line up right? I've seen some guys do the shoulders and arms seperately. If you've done that, how do you measure the distance?

I've tried for a month by myself but everything keeps comming out crooked or funky looking.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Oh btw. Should I use webbing or elastic?

My current fx is using webbing and suspenders but I've seen people just use straps without suspenders.

Edited by vecspeed12

I have my suit similar fireblade. But for the sides. it feels tight and I'm a really skinny guy with a 32 waist. Also for my chest and ab. When I put it on. Its crooked. I feel like I'm waisting snaps.

I don't have that adjustable thingymajig either. But I don't know how to make that.

Mark, if "this was very comfy and worked well, never needed to adjust anything" then why are you going with a different set-up in your new suit?

I ask solely out of curiosity.

I'm finalizing my ideas on ow to strap up my kit and so I am curious.

Accuracy - the eternal strive for accuracy!!

Also people always use elastic and not nylon webbing. Nylon webbing has no give whatsoever and will lead to costume malfunction and it's not comfy :)

I was asked earlier this week before starting my new build what would I do differently this time?

The answer was nothing, it all fitted perfectly. But this time I wanted to do everything as close to the original - so I will be changing a few things :)

As I look at the strapping for keeping the shoulders and arms separate from the main torso I see that a strap of elastic runs across the back of the wearer's shoulders, connecting the shoulder bells to each other. Does this strap pull the shoulder bells backward at all? It seems like it would. If not, I assume that the straps around the biceps hold the shoulder bells in place.

• 1 year later...

I found on bell would twist backwards if I raised my arms above head height, so added a snap to the shoulder bridge strap to keep things in check.

Do you have an image of this? I too have the strap over my shoulders from one bell to the other and am having the same problem.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My issue is I see these "clam shell" methods and the front and back are almost together. I'm not fat but when I fit my pieces, well let's just say if my armor looked like that I wouldn't fit into it. Do you just make the strapping longer to wrap around to the back half, Or the Velcro longer?

• 2 years later...

As I am reading this I am actually putting this strap procedure on my armor right now! I think I left it on the strip methods and this one looks the cleanest and the best for travel and durability. Although pretty much most of the straps methods look pretty durable. Thanks For the post Mark !!

My entire kit is held together with snaps/elastics. No strapping or braces at all. 

Here is an old photo. Ive got even more snaps attached now for alignment purposes...

GxiaKc.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/9/2011 at 10:11 PM, James said:

Do you have an image of this? I too have the strap over my shoulders from one bell to the other and am having the same problem.

this was driving me nuts at my last troop

------------

my bicep strap popped causing my shoulder bell to do this, right when I got about 1/2 a mile from my truck. Ive since done away with the across the neck shoulder bell strap, I found it to be very uncomfortable, now I have then strapped to my strap that attaches my front and back plates. I like it so much better. have much more movement and can now throw a pitch at a Marlins game coming up since are vader lobbed one only about halfway last year lol 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020