Armor Trivia

Daetrin

1.Bubble lenses vs. Flat

2.Ear caps were slightly different due to the no. of pulls from initial stunt helmets to when they pulled the hero's.

3.Single screw on hero ear cap instead of two

4.shorter frown on hero

5.fewer teeth on hero

6.HDPE on stunt vs ABS hero

7.Stunt helmets were painted

8.Neck trim sizing was different, hero had larger opening due to materials flexiblity

9.No bumps on hero

10. Not sure about this one, but I wanna say the hero had stickers, as I know they were using them in ESB and ROTJ.

11. Can't believe I almost forgot to list this one as it's possibly the most important aspect of the Hero version that I like, and that's the lower brow trim.

Is this question exclusive to ANH?

Good answers, let me add this:

3 molded stripes on the ears, as stunts had 4. Not due to too many forms, it is a totally different piece used and different sizes per ear

Heros dont have stickers, still hand painted.

Hero helmet had a larger opening only due to how much the cap and back had to be trimmed to get it off the mold, kinda a flexibility issue

hero helmets dont have rivets holding the helmets together, only screws.

ears have only two screws per ear, middle one is missing

bumps is not an issuse as there are stunts with no bumps but there are pinholes all over the hero helmet in the archive due to moisture

T*E

great answers! i think Bacta-back-Bacharach wins!

@ matt

if you don?t mind i?ll pass the next question to Bacta-back-Bacharach, you?re kinda out-off-competition because you?re knowledge of screenused helmets is almost unreachable for other members here... ;)

great answers! i think Bacta-back-Bacharach wins!

@ matt

if you don?t mind i?ll pass the next question to Bacta-back-Bacharach, you?re kinda out-off-competition because you?re knowledge of screenused helmets is almost unreachable for other members here... ;)

I was actually looking forward to having T*E give us a really good armor question. Something that the majority of us might not know, as it's always cool to find out new inside info. If you really want me to though, I'll post a question in a little while after I think of something.

I was actually looking forward to having T*E give us a really good armor question. Something that the majority of us might not know, as it's always cool to find out new inside info. If you really want me to though, I'll post a question in a little while after I think of something.

Gonna have to beat you with a stick Rocko! LOL, just kidding...

OK, here is a good question:

What two types of plastic are used on the ANH stormtrooper suits?

Bonus question:

what are the thicknesses of these plastics?

T*E

Were they 1.5mm instead of 60 gauge. A caliper could be off that much, but they were make in England and they use that silly metric system over there. :lol:

Guest T*E
Were they 1.5mm instead of 60 gauge. A caliper could be off that much, but they were make in England and they use that silly metric system over there. :lol:

Could be! No, the main armor is .060. It did thin on some parts, shoulders and some chests I saw. But there is one other plastic used. SUPER DOOPER TROOPER bonus points for being able to list the type AND parts that had it.

T*E

Guest T*E
Looks like some kind of synthetic padding material to me, like a tumbling mat sort of idea.

Ok, no one got the questions 100% right so I will give the answers:

The three plastics and thicknesses used for the ANH suits:

ABS: main suit parts except for the hands and triangle knee is: ABS .060

ABS: glossy and really thin for the triangle knee: ABS .020

Styrene: YES, polystyrene matte finish in .040 for the main belt body

It has been known for years about the hands being a cast rubber and not a silicone rubber, it was black and more than likely RTV, again not all hands were made of this but on the standee, it has these hands.

Now, the ROTJ photo posted is a great testament to how they made and used ANYTHING they could to make the suits work.

Answer: TAPE. It is first aid cloth tape. Nothing more. I saw this all over the ROTJ arms mostly and yes even on some thigh armor. It was done as a quick fix or as a way to make someones overly large arms or legs fit into the suit.

T*E

the word 'silicone' just sounded cool. :) They'd be all jiggly if they were silicone. :lol:

yeah, like Jello Hand plate's :D , that's got to be pretty comfortable though :lol:

Yeah, but its not about what the armor looked like in these impromptu spit second scene's...it was what GL's real vision of what the armor was suppose to look like...when you work in films you notice all the corners that are cut during productions to save time/money and to make the armor work for that day of filming...so, I am not surprised at the corners that were cut...these suits were made to reflect a vision, and to last a month or two...And these suits went through ALOT of wear and Tear...when you do film production you shoot and re- shoot a scene over and over again...as they say "back to 1" :lol:

LOL.... yeah well don't be surprised if you see some wise-butts submit to Thomas S. and local GML's and try and say, "hey... here's three visual references from OFFICIAL sources, you HAVE to approve my duct tape and medical gauze!!" :lol:

LOL.... yeah well don't be surprised if you see some wise-butts submit to Thomas S. and local GML's and try and say, "hey... here's three visual references from OFFICIAL sources, you HAVE to approve my duct tape and medical gauze!!" :lol:

I'm still suprised no one has tried it with Mr. No Stripes. He is in the movie, promo poster, action figure photo, and the origional action figures had no stripes either.

Thomas' response will be along the common sense lines of "bloopers don't count". He's repeated that mantra in the GML area several times.

OTOH, it made me not feel so bad forgetting to add the lines on the tears/traps during my last troop =:-0

Thomas' response will be along the common sense lines of "bloopers don't count". He's repeated that mantra in the GML area several times.

I understand bloopers don't count, but Mr. No Stripes was not a background trooper, had quite a bit of screen time in multiple scenes, and was used in a promo poster. As a rule of thumb, promo posters tend to be perfect.