Armor Trivia

Daetrin

Actually, the bump/texture is still there, just not as pronounced as some others we'e seen.

Ā 

What you are seeing is a ripple texture that sort of does look like a bumpy surface, but it is a by product of vacuum forming with this material. On the inside there is no indication of any bump patterns. So, a texture is dead on the money, but it has nothing to do with the molds. But is a true observation, and a good point Gino!

Ā 

It is more than apparent that this helmet has been made from a mold that was either resurfaced or POSSIBLY another mold was made. Your thoughts?

Ā 

Either way, it is exciting to see this helmet

Ā 

T*E

Yes, it is good to see pics of this helmet, and despite our differences, I am glad that you've shared them.

I would say that the texture you are seeing is not caused by the hdpe, it is because of the mold. The texture and bumps are there for the same reasons. The texture is pretty specific and has a directional pattern that is identical on every cap/back. Like I said before, some helmets have it more pronounced then others and this one is particularly soft.

Getting the HDPE too hot when forming will give an orange peel effect to the surface, but that is not what we are seeing when we are talking about the texture. The texture from overheating is totally different than the texture caused from the mold. One is random, and the other is very, very specific.

Yes, it is good to see pics of this helmet, and despite our differences, I am glad that you've shared them.

I would say that the texture you are seeing is not caused by the hdpe, it is because of the mold. The texture and bumps are there for the same reasons. The texture is pretty specific and has a directional pattern that is identical on every cap/back. Like I said before, some helmets have it more pronounced then others and this one is particularly soft.

Getting the HDPE too hot when forming will give an orange peel effect to the surface, but that is not what we are seeing when we are talking about the texture. The texture from overheating is totally different than the texture caused from the mold. One is random, and the other is very, very specific.

Ā 

I will say it is a possibility, fair enough? In my forming with the hdpe I have gotten the same pattern every time. The cap and back is severe as you know to form, meaning the height and angle of the form itself. So lines/waves/rippling yes! Bumps, no. I am going to do some more testing of other parts with the material and see what we get, molds almost the same height.

Ā 

I will be able to post some more once I get some work done around here. Wait til you see the chin strap! It is hilarious and total proof that the stunt helmets were rushed out the door!

Ā 

Just a small tidbit of info for now. The red colored material on the inside of the cap and back is a rust colored primer.

OK, here's a question: in ANH how were the thighs kept in position:

Ā 

A) attached to the cod/ab plate

B) using a belt/garter system

C) none of the above

it was definatly a belt and here is the picture with a stormtrooper actor sleeping in a corner of a street...

;)

Ā 

stormtrooper_actor_sleeping.jpg

looks like me after a long night out :D:pint1:

1.Bubble lenses vs. Flat

2.Ear caps were slightly different due to the no. of pulls from initial stunt helmets to when they pulled the hero's.

3.Single screw on hero ear cap instead of two

4.shorter frown on hero

5.fewer teeth on hero

6.HDPE on stunt vs ABS hero

7.Stunt helmets were painted

8.Neck trim sizing was different, hero had larger opening due to materials flexiblity

9.No bumps on hero

10. Not sure about this one, but I wanna say the hero had stickers, as I know they were using them in ESB and ROTJ.

11. Can't believe I almost forgot to list this one as it's possibly the most important aspect of the Hero version that I like, and that's the lower brow trim.

Ā 

Is this question exclusive to ANH?