Progress report on "XLTK"

Hey everyone, has been hot here this weekend so have been spending the week end indoors in the A/C working on a TK. Scott, (TK4149) coined a name for this project a couple months back when I was just ready to toss in the white flag and put it on e-Bay. Scott was over at the house one night and I was telling him that I just thought that I was just to darned big for a TK and I just should stick to my Vader. Now, understand that I'm 6'4", size 15 boot, 280 LBS. Scott had left to go home, and after about an hour later I checked my PM's before turning in for the night. He had gotten on the board and sent me a note telling me again as he did at my place not to give up on project "XLTK".

So, not to write a book here. This post is to say thank you Scott for kicking me in the pants and not letting me give up!!! Am in the homestretch now and I figure that it is over half finished as of tonight. In the photos the left and right thigh and calf are just taped together in the back so everything is just about ready to drop to my boot tops. And the butt and kidney plates and a few other small parts are still unfinished. Have to extend the height of the lower back piece 3 1/2" still and leaving a 1/2" gap to the upper back plate.

KentsfirstTKPic.jpg

Kents2ndTKpic.jpg

GOOD FOR YOU

GREAT CALL SCOTT ( now thats what i call a Deployment Officer) looses no one:)

I think suit looks good!!!!!!!

Hi dirty white boy.

I too am a big bugger. 6 foot 7 13 extra wide shoe.And getting fatter by the day after turning 40!

Im having a stab at making a tk from scratch minus the helmet which i already have.#

People dont realise how hard getting anything not just to fit but also look good.

IMHO youve Achieved both perfectly.

Well done for sticking with it.

cheers dude

Thanks guys! I too am knock'n on the door of 43 years soon. And it is very true that getting this stuff to fit, (with alot of help from a heat gun), and look presentable has been tricky. Haven't done much to it since Sunday as my wife still hasn't forgiven me for "ingnoring" her the whole weekend and super glueing her fingers together. :P

Armor looks great, nice job!

Don't forget about the AB plate buttons, assuming you are going TK versus TD based on your left knee. Keep it up :duim:

Yea, as well as your right hand plate. Need to make sure we get it all right, if you are to receive deployment status!!!

:trooper:

Yup, going for TK on this one. May do the TD someday but for right now just want to be shiny.

Have a few more pix of the mods that I have had to deal with to get this "UP" to standards.

The first is the Ab and cod area. As you can see it is not anything surprising to cut this piece here and just lower the belt a smidgen.

100_0402.jpg

This is the right thigh piece with a 5" down to 2" shim glued into place. Still have to wait untill the glue fully sets up to trim off the excess.

100_0401.jpg

And the tough piece to pull off without just making a new buck and formming a new one is the lower back. I ordered up some ABS of the same gauge, (0.90) as the rest of pieces and cut a chunk out about an inch and a half taller than really needed. Easier to trim it down than add to it. Have allready started forming by hand the center ridge area. Will add a 2" wide backer to this and butt joint the two together. A bit of sanding and filling, then will have to paint just this one piece.

100_0400.jpg

Thanks ED.

Everything when finnished will undergo a session with the buffer. Still am looking for a way to seal the edges of the plastic where they were sanded. Have found that dirt loves to hide in the 600 grit sand scratches. Any ideas?

Still am looking for a way to seal the edges of the plastic where they were sanded. Have found that dirt loves to hide in the 600 grit sand scratches. Any ideas?

:blink: Hmmm, what about a very very thin layer of hot glue?

Thanks ED.

Everything when finnished will undergo a session with the buffer. Still am looking for a way to seal the edges of the plastic where they were sanded. Have found that dirt loves to hide in the 600 grit sand scratches. Any ideas?

You could try brasso or t-cut to polish out the fine scratches then you would maybe need to buff afterwards as it may dull down the finish a little.

I tried using some brasso last night on a thigh piece and it did work nicely. Then just had to go over the whole thing with it as well. It did bring up a nice shine but has a bit of haze to it still. Have a small asortment of 4 inch buffing pads that I use on a mini buffer that are easy to handel with small parts.

Let me pile on here to also congratulate you on seeing this through! We need more "big and tall" troopers around here! I am 6'6" and LOVE to have tall guys to troop with. It just makes the TK all that much more imposing! Hang in there! You look AWESOME!

Thanks Steve. Six foot six?,.. I'll bet not to many Vaders want to stand next to you :lol: But hey, thats their problem.

Here are two pix of the extended lower back now in white epoxy primer. The stuff can be tinted just about any color and is nice that if the top coat paint is scratched it will show as white all the way down to the ABS.

100_0403.jpg

100_0404.jpg

Thanks guys.

The Wife works tommorow and I am off Wensday so I will have nearly 20 hours to spend down in the, "Man Cave" to work on this project. Hoping to have it all done except for maybe just the helmet fans and sound system.

More latter :rolleyes:

So, OK! After many late nights working on this dang thing it is now ready for submission! It may never be really finished, but for now I would not be afraid to go out in public with it. So without further delay, here it is.

100_0409.jpg

100_0416.jpg

So, off I go to submit these to Scott :P