HOWTO: Sound System

Wyatt's system takes care of the feedback.

However, most other systems need something behind the speakers if they are near the amp. A great solution is great stuff foam spray.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mouth continues to salivate in anticipation of having this rig in bucket. I feel like homer Simpson at the Duff brewery...

Can those speakers be used with any aerators? For instance, can I use the aerators I already have?

I received in the mail today, a set of stomper Hovi mix. With quite a bit of modding I was able to fit them to my sound system. I first drilled out the screw and then comletely hollowed them out to 3/4" they now act as caps for the front of my speakers.

So yes they can be used with my sound system.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh s***! I hope it's not like the movie with all the hype that flops at the theatre :unsure:

I don't think it will be that way though.I found a source for a super scensetive uni mic. I just need to sculpt a mic base that is part of the chin switch assembly. Right now the prototype is built from an exhisting mic and base, but I want to fabricate all my own parts.

Hi Wyatt,

I do not know, if I already mentioned it in an earlier post, but please put me on the list, as I definitely want one of these awesome babies!!! B)

Hello,

earlier on I asked about compatibility with a RomFX and it seems like, that the Mic has to be connected to the RomFX directly in order for the RomFX to work properly.

So in order to incorporate the RomFX into your system it seems to be necessary,

1. to connect the "Line-out" of the RomFx with your Amplifier and

2. your Mic directly with the "Line-in" of the RomFX.

I fear that could get complicated.

Do you thing it could be done?

Unfortunately I do not have a sound board yet, so I can just think about what I read online.

Best regards,

Alex

Upon closer inspection of a romFX, I have come to the conclusion that we are dealing with apples and oranges. At first I thought the rom was just a sound board that you hook up to an amp, but now I know that it is an amp like mine, only it converts the sound into digital output. Mine is anolog. So, there is no mixing and modding; you use one or the other.

My Bommar rocks for sound, but it's just not the same type of sound as the romFX. It just looks better and comes finnished with built in fans.

I'd like to get my hands on a romFX so I can build a box for it. I could make it look like my Bommar. So far the only setups I've seen look jerry rigged with wires, tape and hot glue.

I'm vac forming parts this weekend. Wish me luck.

I'll have to get another. After listing to a lot of sound systems the Rom still comes out on top. That said, making a 100% helmet contained solution is not fun/easy, so being able to mate one with your rig would IMHO be the best of all worlds.

... so being able to mate one with your rig would IMHO be the best of all worlds.

@Daetrin:

I definitely fully agree to that! This combination would be perfect!

@Wyatt:

Thanks for looking into the possibilities of mixing your system with the romf/x.

It is a pity that they are not compatible right away.

But perhaps, if you can get your hands on someone´s RomF/X (unfortunately I do not have one yet), you could think about offering a compatible setup later on?

Or how about just offering the parts of your set piece by piece (speakers with housing and 3.5mm jack plug, housings for the board and batteries, your switch-assembly with fans), like a plug-and-play kit where everybody can decide what to incorporate.

That way everyone can buy the parts they need and incorporate their RomF/X themselves with just a little building.

I think my suggestions are asking of too much, but that is only the case, because I am a totally technical-noob and therefore I guess I can not even imagine how much work that would be.

I hope you do not get my suggestions wrong. I do not want to push you in any directions, I as technical-Noob am just trying to think about possible solutions.

Many greetings

Alex

Or how about just offering the parts of your set piece by piece (speakers with housing and 3.5mm jack plug, housings for the board and batteries, your switch-assembly with fans), like a plug-and-play kit where everybody can decide what to incorporate.

Hmmm... an interesting idea. I have actually been waiting to see if that device described in Butah Fett's thread ever materializes, cuz that sounds like it might be better than the rom-fx (or at least easier to set up)... so I am not willing to rush into anything just yet...

I have actually been waiting to see if that device described in Butah Fett's thread ever materializes

Are you speaking of the trick toys amp? I myself would like to check that out. Eventualy I'll get a digital amp, but that's a chunk of change I just wont spend right now.

Are you speaking of the trick toys amp? I myself would like to check that out. Eventualy I'll get a digital amp, but that's a chunk of change I just wont spend right now.

Yes that's the one. I must admit I am a bit sceptical, but it did seem like it might be worth the wait...

The biggest problem with going digital is the dew point in your bucket. Salt acts as a conductor. I surmise that was the problem they had at C4; It worked for a while and then quit.

The biggest problem with going digital is the dew point in your bucket. Salt acts as a conductor. I surmise that was the problem they had at C4; It worked for a while and then quit.

Yup. And I usually have a lot of moisture in my helmet during a troop... is there a way to effectively seal those things?