HOWTO: Sound System

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out the hard way small moulds should not be made of plaster. I have to start from scratch all over. I'm going to Seattle this week, so I'm picking up the proper stuff to make proper moulds. I sent my prototype to someone we all know and love, so hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my prototype to our fearless leader to give it a shot

After much inspection he sent it back. It seems that I need to scale it down just a bit more to accomodate the trooper with less headroom in his bucket. Though it's a perfect fit for me, I also want it to be a perfect fit for all of you too. I am now in the process of new moulds yet again.

I'm sure Ed will expound a bit further on this sound system. I'm anxious to know what he thought of the loudnes and overal sound quality of this particular analog amp.

Bommar made it back home safe and sound yesterday. It will most likely spend the remainder of it's years in my bucket:)

I'll post pics of my progress. My new moulds should be done by the weekend. ooops scratch that-busy this weekend:/

A big thanks goes out to Ed for his time and effort in helping this project along.

Hi Wyatt,

I completed my evaluation of the Bommar unit yesterday. The unit does a fantastic job of canceling out feedback so Bommar does a great job in its primary function. Its also very well put together (sturdy) and the added logo's are a nice touch.

The reason I am returning it to you as a size problem with my head. As we previously discussed Bommar is small for an FX helmet. So I installed and tested it in my new RT bucket. However, it was very tough going on and getting off. The RT without Bommar (and without padding) just fits. With the Bommar electronics my face is pressing into the buttons on the chin and the fans are very close to my eyes / cheeks and I have no where to go backwards.

The size of the battery boxes, though small are necessary to be small in any other bucket besides the FX. So you definitely have the right size choosen for those boxes. The buttons where a bit awkward to press since my chin was so close to them. I'm assuming this is due to improper fit since my noggin was taking up most of the space.

I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to review the Bommar, it was fun. If you are comfortable with this review I'll post it on the board for the population to read.

I've been trooping with an FX and enjoying the bucket is so large that it enables me to have everything wired into the helmet. Feedback has always been a pain that I lived with since its all in there (fans, sounds systems, boom mic).

But, I'm also getting tired of the big helmet and thus RT came into my life. RT just fits so I was bummed that bommar + RT would not squeeze onto my head.

However, Bommar rocks! I've never played with a all in one unit where I had the mic and speaker touching each other turned all the way up and no feedback. Its a very clean setup and having the mic positioning in front is better than the book mic typically used.

High points for a clean design, rock solid feedback shielding and compact design.

I'm surprised it didn't fit considering it fits into Wyatt's so well. Did you take pictures so he could have compared padding issues?

I'll donate either my TE2 or AP for the next set of molds.

Yeah I know. I'm just wondering why Wyatt is able to easily wear it in his RT but you can't, e.g. what's the difference in builds of the RT buckets.

A turning point is the best place for a fulcrum.

I can scale Bommar down another quarter inch, but that's about it. Any smaller and the price will go up.

I'm also looking in to a smaller fan. Interfan makes a nice 25mm fan with low dcb's and high airflow. Interfan uses the sealed bearing unit which out lasts sleeve bearing fans 3 to 1. Kind of spendy though.

I'll donate either my TE2 or AP for the next set of molds.

Thanks Paul, but if I'm able to scale it down I shouldn't need a model. I'm thinking once I make the low profile chin switch assembly, Bommar will be good to go.

This is not an item that I will take orders for. I will post them up once I have ten or so in hand. Too many things can happen when you're setting on someones money. I doubt I'll have any problem getting off of them.

I'm contemplating making a video on instalation, though it's pretty simple.

Yeah I know. I'm just wondering why Wyatt is able to easily wear it in his RT but you can't, e.g. what's the difference in builds of the RT buckets.

I think it's head size. Ed's head wobbles when you bump it :lol:

I also need to design it a certain way that I can extend Bommar for FX buckets.

Hey Wyatt, and please do not forget the "Romfx"-Users with or without FX-Buckets :rolleyes: !!!

Good luck with your new molds and once again thank you very much for your great underarmor (I just love it, makes me look more muscular B) ),

cheers Alex

As far as I know you can hook up the romFX already. Bommar has in and out jacks. From what I understand though, you need a powered mic to do it.

The price just went up again :lol:

My question is this: Why would you want Bommar if you have a romFX ? Is it the package that Bommar comes in?

I could design a kit that makes a romFX setup look sweet.

Let me round up $300 and I'll send one to you for integration. ;-)

Yeah, the static burst and the sound effects come to mind.

As far as I know you can hook up the romFX already. Bommar has in and out jacks. From what I understand though, you need a powered mic to do it.

The price just went up again :lol:

My question is this: Why would you want Bommar if you have a romFX ? Is it the package that Bommar comes in?

I could design a kit that makes a romFX setup look sweet.

I've never toyed with a romFX or Hyperdine, so someone please school me on this. Can you buy a romFX and use it as is, or do you need to hook it up to an amplifier?

I've never toyed with a romFX or Hyperdine, so someone please school me on this. Can you buy a romFX and use it as is, or do you need to hook it up to an amplifier?

Hi Wyatt,

you can use the RomFX as it is out of the box (just connect micro and speakers to it by 3.5mm jack plug), as it has an integrated amplifier (so no extra amp needed).

Here are the technical specifications:

http://www.yourmovecreep.co.uk/romfx/techspec.htm

http://www.romfx.com/

I prefer the RomFX because of the sound effects (static burst, voice modulation), but would love to combine it with Bommar (or a similar setup) because of the nice Imperial look and the integrated fans.

So if you could really build a kit for my RomFX that makes it look as nice as Bommar and has fans incorporated, I would be more then happy to purchase it from you :D .

Greetings,

Alex