The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Thanks Locitus...as I do further research I am considering ATA. While I realize you guys do not endorse any particular brand of rig, the difference in price could basically cover the cost of my DLT-19 or a pack from Dirty Boy or QM. It may also enable me to do a second build for the GF. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Thanks Locitus...as I do further research I am considering ATA. While I realize you guys do not endorse any particular brand of rig, the difference in price could basically cover the cost of my DLT-19 or a pack from Dirty Boy or QM. It may also enable me to do a second build for the GF. Any thoughts? Thank you.

In that case I suggest ATA. But be prepared for a long wait. The waiting list is quite long now I hear. So you can spend that time working on the blaster or pack in the meantime.

hello finally I choose this helmet, Jedi-rober seller told me in an e-mail: The helmets are based on the Shepperton Hero Helmet.

my question is: is valid for 501?

Yes, but jedi robe is perhaps the biggest rip off there is. You would have saved a lot of money a also gotten a nicer helmet by contacting one of the makers in the first post.

Yes, but jedi robe is perhaps the biggest rip off there is. You would have saved a lot of money a also gotten a nicer helmet by contacting one of the makers in the first post.

To save me IS A LITTLE MORE MONEY, NOT YET PURCHASED, forgive my English is TRANSLATOR

Pick one of the vendors from the first post. Most of them sell helmet kits separately for those that just want a helmet. Some can even build it for you for an additional fee.

Thanks very much for this thread. After years and years of wanting to own my own stormtrooper armor I am finally ready to take the plunge.

After reading through the whole thread I have a few questions that I'll leave up to the experts.

I am 5'8 and a stocky 190 lbs, looking for a good entry level suit, complete with a fairly accurate helmet. I dont mind trimming and fitting pieces together as Im usually pretty handy. Cost is a concern but my ultmate goal is to join my local 501st in Virginia.

Anyway I think thats it, Im looking forward to everyones advice.

Is a Shadow Stormtrooper (Special Ops) just a Stormtrooper in black armor? Who provides the best options for a Shadow Stormtrooper? A friend of mine (5' 11"...225 lbs) is interested in getting a kit.

Rob - ATA will probably fit, among others. Be sure to sign up on the Garrison Tyranus boards as well - www.va501st.com

Tony - yes. I think ATA pulled kits in black but I'm not sure if he still does. I imagine the new AM will be offered in black too.

Mike - I'm going to bet the armor is recast, though I can't tell from the pictures exactly from what. I bet Mathias will know...

I'm going with ATA just wanted to know. If Mathias doesn't know maybe someone that also does Clone Trooper may know.

Also just got an email from ATA. They listed black for an additional price, but available.

Edited by Deadpool

Searched the forum but didn't see anything about a place called Armor-Depot.com. Anyone know of them or heard good/bad?

I remember them from another thread. I'm pretty sure it is recast TE2 and judging by their pictures it is extremely soft pulls, lacking a lot of the definition.

And that is why newbs(such as myself) should come here before laying down that hard earned cash before buying anything. I was almost among those that make that mistake, but I have a really bad(?) habit of researching something before I make that jump. Burned way to many times!

And that is why newbs(such as myself) should come here before laying down that hard earned cash before buying anything. I was almost among those that make that mistake, but I have a really bad(?) habit of researching something before I make that jump. Burned way to many times!

It's a good "bad habit" to have, Mike. With the information so readily and easily available there's NO excuse not to research anything, ESPECIALLY a high dollar purchase these days. I'm the same way especially with regards to high dollar items like armor and electronics. You found the right forum.

Rob - ATA will probably fit, among others. Be sure to sign up on the Garrison Tyranus boards as well - www.va501st.com

Tony - yes. I think ATA pulled kits in black but I'm not sure if he still does. I imagine the new AM will be offered in black too.

Mike - I'm going to bet the armor is recast, though I can't tell from the pictures exactly from what. I bet Mathias will know...

Thanks NoVaTie Just got an email from ATA and going on the waiting list for a complete kit. Also signed up over on the Garrison Tyranus forums as well.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the new line of AM armor (that I actually just ordered) is to be called "NE" now? Supposed to be way more screen accurate than the original AM, with a completely different helmet and all other pieces are modified except for the thighs. Personally I am super excited and while I can't make the call yet on exactly how great it is, here's the link I recieved for my order in regards to the new pieces!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! First off I gotta say you people and this site are FRACKIN' AWESOME! What kid didn't want a suit of 'Trooper armor after they saw Star Wars? When I got to school on Monday the teacher asked me "What are you making for your art project?", ME "Stormtrooper armor". It turned out alright but it's really small now and won't meet 501 spec. Ha ha! Speed up to modern day and I remember "I always wanted a badass suit of 'Trooper armor" so I googled it and found 501 and FISD. So here's what I got so far....

Boots: sourced

Gloves: Rubber/chemical - got it.

Bodysuit: got it.

Neck seal: making it. (pretty easy and many online look too crappy for the price.)

Tailoring skills: got it.

Craft skills: got it.

Armouring skills: got it

While all this stuff seems to be what alot of people have trouble getting it was no problem for me but the armor is my problem. I am a real stickler for a good look and fit. It just looks crappy and uncomfortable when people seem to be swimming in costumes that should fit. My big problem appears to be fit.

I am 5'7"(171cm) tall, 140lbs.(63.5kg) weight, 28'(71cm) waist, 38'(96.5cm) chest. My torso is flat/wide/short rather than round/thick. My limbs are long/ropey muscled not long/straight. So there in lies my quandry. I have read on the forum that some armors are better for smaller people and some are better for taller people but I am kinda stuck in between with an odd combination of measurements. So my questions are....

Is ABS heat workable after it has been formed into 'Trooper armor?

Does heated shaping post manufacturing ruin the finish?

If so is it repairable with refinishing?

Any troopers out there with body types like mine that have input on which armourers make/can get closest to our shape?

Any armourers out there that sell peices by the part? (I have found with medieval armourers that if they make a good greave and gauntlet that is a good guage of their sizing and work.)

Was this the right forum to post these questions in? (I have been reading this forum and 501 for almost two days and A little overwhelmed trying to find all the info I need.)

Thanks and cheers!

P.S. While the expert and centurion badges are great I would really rather go for a white armor or a commander armor that looked like it fit and had a visual flow to it rather than looking like some 'Troopers I have seen at costume events who go for total authenticity "and fit and function be damned".