Rick330's dual TrooperMaster TM build[*TM]

I see Paul labeled the ANH & ESB belts for you. Is there a difference in how the ANH and ESB belts should be trimmed out?

I don't think so (if anyone wants to correct me, feel free), I just think it was a case of marking the extra parts for the belt assembly.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another very constructive day. I was up at 6.30 am on my day off to start buildign straight away. I can't sleep when there's armour in the house! :lol:

The armour itself is very near finished, wtih all snaps and strapping in place. Just got to attach bits like the sniper plate etc. and get the belt put together. Then I'll be on to the helmet.

Back to work again tomorrow! :(

Sorting snaps, but the dogs are convinced they're some kind of edible treat!

DSCF9212.jpg

Progress pics ...

DSCF9211.jpg

DSCF9210.jpg

DSCF9208.jpg

DSCF9215.jpg

Well, it's official: I'm a skinny little b**ger! :lol:

Completed the armour and had a first test fitting. I nearly got downhearted for a moment but I think I've worked it out.

These are shots of my first test and my conclusions ...

DSCF9222.jpg

DSCF9228.jpg

DSCF9227.jpg

DSCF9225.jpg

DSCF9224.jpg

1. I could not be happier with the legs. The thighs and calves alike are perfect and I don't even need any trimming inside the back of the knee to walk freely.

2. The shoulders look a little large on me but I think any trimming would ruin the overall look of the pieces. No big deal; I'm just quite small and slim.

3. I need to lower my biceps a little (I'll add a new longer piece of elastic). Making the arms look longer may also help make the shoulders look less oversized.

4. I have managed to mount the chest so that it sits high and doesn't cover my buttons. As a result the neck line is too high and chokes a little. Need to lose a centimetre or so from the opening.

5. The biggie and the one that nearly got me down a bit: The torso is huge on me! It also puffs out the chest a bit making it look too large.

I thought for a moment I was going to have to start hacking off all my fasteners and trimming down the sides but I think I have my solution ....

I unfastened the snaps and pulled my belt tight, allowing the side of the armour to overlap (I was looking at some of Pablo's photos and it seems he's done the same - thanks Pablo!).

Here's (what for me at least) is the vastly improved look after letting the armour overlap ...

DSCF9241.jpg

DSCF9239.jpg

over0.jpg

I think I'm going to put in a second row of female snaps on the inside of each side of the abdomen so I can secure the armour with the overlap - nice and snug around my gut.

I really would welcome your opinions and suggestions on this and any other aspect the general fitting though.

Richard, it's looking fantastic! The size of the shoulders can give you a broader look, but when you put the helmet on it all works out. They may look big when you aren't wearing your helmet, but the helmet is obviously bigger than your head and balances the sizing out visually. I remember when I first put my shoulder bells on without my helmet, I thought I looked like an (american) football player!

Richard, it's looking fantastic! The size of the shoulders can give you a broader look, but when you put the helmet on it all works out. They may look big when you aren't wearing your helmet, but the helmet is obviously bigger than your head and balances the sizing out visually. I remember when I first put my shoulder bells on without my helmet, I thought I looked like an (american) football player!

You're right. I've already lowered the biceps and I think that makes the whole arm combo look better too.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

Hey Rich!

Mmmm, let's see...

There's a couple of things I see about your chest/back. (I'll use TK 300's web as reference)

In the following picture, it looks like the back is overlapping the kidney piece. I don't see most of the troopers with that overlapping.

DSCF9227.jpg

This is my back:

TK7388-back.jpg

And this, as reference:

back1.jpg

You can see that the upper "horns" (the part connecting the back with the chest) are way shorter than yours:

DSCF9239.jpg

So maybe you should put the back in an upper position and trim the "horns" a bit.

Regarding the chest, I did exactly the same as you: I cut a deeper neck curve, to be able to put the chest piece higher, so it won't cover the buttons:

TK7388-front.jpg

And yours (cutting pending :lol: ):

DSCF9222.jpg

I see your shoulders OK. If you want to make them look "smaller" just put them closer to your neck, by shortening the elastic that joins them to the shoulder strips. (I'm going to do that too)

Look at my shoulders, and they are as "big" (or maybe bigger/longer) than yours:

TK7388-frontH.jpg

I can say nothing about the sides. I knew TM had larger sides than the AP. If you're not skinny, the AP barely gives you room to play witht the sides. It's either you're skinny or add a shim. :angry: But you can trim the TM as much as you need! :duim:

I consider that a plus of the TM. :)

But ask someone with a TM for that part (Pablo might be a good candidate).

All in all, it's looking great! :duim:

And you're going really fast! :blink:

Cheers.

Edited by Dmian

I think the overlap on the sides looks just fine.

I would suggest removing some plastic away from your neck line as you say and also try bringing the back plate up higher too. Get the tabs on the top of the back plate to touch the ones on your chest (under the shoulder straps). You might need to trim the plastic away from the tabs on your back plate in order to bring it up higher but that's no problem.

Also, don't be affraid to go the 'Luke' route and trim a bit off the lower edge of your chest and back plate. Just follow the original lines and go parrallel from there. You can trim the edge off the wrist if the forearms feel too long.

Hi Damián,

I agree with the points you make but I don't think I can do much about the back overlapping. I'm an inch or so smaller than you and probably a good 2 to 3 inches smaller than the actor in your screen grab. To be honest, I don't mind the overlap so I won't leave too much sleep over it.

There are a couple of shorter troopers to be seen in the first Star Wars film and I'm sure if we look at them from the back, they'd have the same ovelap.

If I get really ambitious, I suppose I could cut the (internal) shoulder straps shorter and raise the whole thing a bit. Hmmmm ... maybe ... :D

You can see that the upper "horns" (the part connecting the back with the chest) are way shorter than yours:

I think I'm just thinner rather than the armour being cut any different. I could trim a whole lot out of the side, that's true but I'm going to try the overlap thing first. It looks great on Pablo (if indeed I'm seeing right) and it means if I put on a load of weight, I can still wear my TM without shims! :lol:

To give you some idea how slim I am, this is me in AP:

tkrich3.jpg

I trimmed it to its natural lines and it fits like a glove with room to spare at the sides. As I say, "skinny bugger". :D

I've done most of my modifications already anyway. On to the helmet next, and before you know it, we'll be trooping together! B)

I think the overlap on the sides looks just fine.

Thanks, Paul. Really glad/relieved to get your feedback on that.

I would suggest removing some plastic away from your neck line as you say and also try bringing the back plate up higher too. Get the tabs on the top of the back plate to touch the ones on your chest (under the shoulder straps). You might need to trim the plastic away from the tabs on your back plate in order to bring it up higher but that's no problem.

OK, so now ther's two of you. I consider myself well and truly outvoted. I'll make that my next project. I'd never considered having the tabs meet and automatically left a gap. So, it should be an easy fix.

Also, don't be affraid to go the 'Luke' route and trim a bit off the lower edge of your chest and back plate.

You reckon? I've really been trying to avoid trimming the chest plate, hence the high positioning. And I think I just about got it hight enough to show enough of the buttons without chopping off the return edge.

I'll see how high I and get the back plate and then decide whether I need to trim that.

You can trim the edge off the wrist if the forearms feel too long.

Forearms are great so far. I'll do a final check when I suit up with the biceps lowered.

Thanks, lads. Really appreciate the feedback.

I'm an inch or so smaller than you

Really?

I'm 174 cm (5'9), same height as Mark Hamill ("too short for a stormtrooper") :lol:

See? Paul agrees with me about the tabs under the shoulder straps! :lol:

But do as you wish, really. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with it.

I did the same as you with the chest, and I'm pretty happy with it. The only real problem is that, if I lean forward, sometimes the chest gets the button part and you can hear a clear "clack!" :P

I'm not too keen of the Luke look, and I think if I wanted to do that, I'd go for a Hero look instead, to be coherent. :D

Looking great mate! :duim:

Edited by Dmian

I thin I've pretty much sorted out all the little issues. Probably won't get round to a proper suit-up until the weekend but here's what I've managed to sort out so far ...

I trimmed a little bit off the back plate tab and added a new snap to the webbing to raise it a good 1-2cm. Seems to have worked a treat.

DSCF9244.jpg

DSCF9245.jpg

I also trimmed out the neck opening and can now breath just fine! :D

I added two more rows of female snaps inside the abdomen and have got that area nice and snug with an overlap.

DSCF9247.jpg

DSCF9246.jpg

Really minor, simple modifications but really effective. Thanks again, Damián and Paul. These little thinsg make the difference between and OK build and a really great one!

Oops, seems our posts crossed ...

Really?

I'm 174 cm (5'9), same height as Mark Hamill ("too short for a stormtrooper") :lol:

Yep, 1.72 m (just short of 5'8").

See? Paul agrees with me about the tabs under the shoulder straps! :lol:

But do as you wish, really. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with it.

I agreed in principle, don't get me wrong, but it took Paul to point out how simple it is to alter.

I'm not too keen of the Luke look, and I think if I wanted to do that, I'd go for a Hero look instead, to be coherent. :D

I plan to get a hero helmet done some day and convert the AP to a full Luke-style suit with grappling hook and comlink but that's another project for another day ...

Other than Richard and Conny (TK 6043), our GML Ben (TK 285) is from Las Palmas. Also gianco (TK 3379), from Tenerife. And Adeious (ID 2365) is going to get a TK soon. :)

And there are a couple of guys with armors, but not members of the 501st.

Nice build! You're doing a neat job!

BTW I'm 1.74, so almost 5'9"

Things I did to improve the overall looks and make it fit my frame better:

- trimmed an extra cm from the ab plate and kidney plate

- heated and bent down the shoulder horns on both the back plate and chest plate, to force them to sit higher

- I put a foam ring around the neck that sits over the shoulders and raises the whole armor by almost an inch

- I put a piece of foam inside the top of the shoulder bells to make them sit higher too

- I put extra padding inside the top of the helmet to make it sit higher too

The last three "cheats" really help!

I'd follow TM's advice to trim away the return edge from the front of the forearms, it's screen accurate and really helps mobility and comfort, I'm considering doing that too.

Edited by TKDUEUNO

Looks great Richard. Curious, are there many other TK's residing on the Canary Islands?

Damián pretty much named them all I think. We do have a Biker Scout in Tenerife too.

Other than that there is a small group of other costume fans (3 or 4 stormtroopers) getting together with the local 501st members to do unofficial troops.

One guy with Rubies armour and an MRCE helmet signed up with the Spanish Garrison forum recently to ask what modifications he needed to do to join. He didn't seem very receptive to the help offered though. :rolleyes:

I think it's mission accomplished with the armour. I'm going to trim a bit more from the forearms for comfort and freedom of movement but as far as the fit is concerned, I think it's all looking pretty decent.

I even had a shave! :D

DSCF9258-2.jpg

DSCF9257.jpg

DSCF9255.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

DSCF9251.jpg

Thanks, Paul. It's wonderful armour, I spent a lot of time adjusting it and got great advice on this forum last night.

It wouldn't look half as good without the FISD!

Looking at the pictures again, I'm actually going to have a look at raising the back plate a little more at some point. It seemed to sit higher this morning .. :huh:

Anyway, I'm ready to tackle the helmet next ...

Bar a little bit of white paint on the screws and a chunk of foam inside, the helmet is done.

Just waiting on my holster and then I'll be ready to sign up with the Legion and go for EIB.

ANH version to follow after that too.

DSCF9270.jpg

DSCF9279.jpg

DSCF9277.jpg

DSCF9276.jpg

DSCF9273.jpg

DSCF9271.jpg