Why I didn't make it to CIV

john danter

Several of us from the UKG were due to arrive in LA for CIV last month. Unfortunately I was turned back in Minneapolis. :(

Even I myself have heard some variations of the thruth so here goes why.....

Basically I bought a deactivated Sterling from Ebay about 3 years ago. It arrived and I gave it to my mate to fix up for me. He's a clever chap and knows a little about it (he'd also build you a space shuttle if you asked him nicely) anyway he was busy and said to save time I'd need a receiver housing tube (long tube which everything on our beloved L2A3 is attached too)

I surfed the web and came across a chap named Earl Webb in the US who had a template for them so I paid him for a tube.

It was late arriving, some 2 months late, but he was adamant he'd sent it.

He had.

What happened was the chap was busted by FBI shortly afterwards for re arming guns for drugs gangs/robbers etc.

How was I to know that?

Anyway, your guys in the US gave the UK police my details, warning them to watch me as I'd bought stuff from him. They got the part from customs and decided to watch me for a month or two before moving in.

They came to my place of work and questioned me, took it all off me and after showing the pictures of us in the UKG and me as a TK, they spotted MG34s etc and started to love it. They laughed, said I had a cool costume ;) but that I'd have to give up the gun and the tube and have itmelted down. They were really nice and gave the name of a UK based Sterling expert to sent me one quite cheap. Good stuff

but........

When you enter the US you fill in a green form. One of the question is, have you ever been arrested. I said no, which is true.

In Minneapolis airport homeland security pulled me to one side and asked me why I'd lied on the form and asked me again. Jetlagged and half asleep I asked what have I have been arrested for then? the reply....

'We're not at liberty to tell you what info we have on you other than we do and your co-operation would be welcome'

I still said no. I couldn't think and got a bit shirty with them as they were being slighty overhanded with me and being out of order. I said well give me clue. They wouldn't, I was told to collect my luggage and then questioned in depth about my life and why I was coming to the US. I had a DNA swab, retina scan (no rubber gloves), photos, fingerprints and just sent me home for trying to enter frauduntly.

It just so happens the guy who picked on me was a total c*#t and his attitude didn't help. I asked to speak to someone from the UK Emabassy but I wasn't allowed. I was just sent back home on the next plane.

All the time they never mentioned the firearms stuff as they weren't allowed to say what they had on me. It's only half way back across the Atlantic I clicked what it may have been about.

I've spoken to the US embassy over here (?1.50 a minute!!!) and they've said it could be the firearm thing and because I didn't confess to it they thought I had something to hide so took no chances.

I came to the US withmy resin E11 which was scanned ok and let through the UK ports, so please don't worry about that. If you plan to come to CE just declare it on your way out of the US and have scanned with you present. That way it's cool and you can answer questions on the spot. they then tag your bag and off you go. Simple

I'm gutted I got to miss some of you guys as i was really looking forward to getting a 'wordly' feel of how cool, big and global this hobby of ours is. Meeting people from a different country who share the same hobby as me would have blown me away.

I've posted this under guidance from the CMD staff as a warning to all of you who want a deac firearm. Be very careful who you get them from, try to use firms rather than individuals and don't let the b#%^ards get you down :)

John

Sorry the US has become so locked down John. It's a real pain when good folk are turned away at our borders for this kind of thing.

Bloody sorry to hear about that!

Glad your not letting it get you down.

When the Imperial forces finally take over this planet you should have no trouble with customs..

See you on the Darkside...

TK-6044

Cheers lads. I was a bit miffed at first but it takes a lot more than that to get my down. In an effort to cheer myself up I asked if I could have female accompanied strip search. No such luck.

And no US dude should feel ashamed about how protective the country is. I'm no bomber/terrorist, but they were just taking no chances, plus that guy was a total ~$^&

no US dude should feel ashamed about how protective the country is

It's a front. Airports are no safer than before. Nothing has changed but the way they treat passengers. Terrorists don't like being hassled while standing in long lines, so it might deter them.

Airports are the only place in the US that I feel my rights are stretched thin. My mouth doesn't help me in those situations either:/

Sorry that you did not make it John. We will have to meet on some other front.

The FBI maintains a "Terrorist" watch list. If you have any affiliation with a know terrorist or perceived terrorist organization you can be added to the list. When any law enforcement organization runs your name through NCIC it will pop up with basic information about your possible connection and instructions for how to handle the situation. Like whether to detain and question or to simple ID the person or to immediately contact the FBI. The agency that detains you is not allowed to disclose if you are on the list or not. If that agency discloses that info they will be severely punished with heavy fines and loss of access to NCIC. I'm not sure if the information is placed into INTERPOL or not. This would be my guess on what happened and it is most likely in connection to the gun incident.

:6:

It happens..... Even though i have a US Passport, i get and have had the whole body search thing EVERY TIME i have gone to the States. You get use to the questiones, the search, and over time you can see which is the best way to answer the questions depending on who asks them ( good cop/bad cop ) so that it ends quickly .What i enjoy asking then after every thing "Do i fit some profile???" " because i always get searched" "No sir its a aleatory choosing system"

I just smile...... US Passport or not, if you come from Bolivia..... get ready to spread them :D

O well Jhon sorry to hear that. Would suggest you talk real good with the Embassy so that you know what status you are for future traveland stuff.

John, this is a lousy thing to have happen to anyone, but any interrogation is serious business to these guys, no matter how snotty they may appear to be. In the end, they hold "all the marbles" and leave NO wiggle room. I agree that you should see what you can do to "clear" your name for any future travel to the US.

Hello John, I'm sorry to here about what happened to you. Speaking from personal experience I kind of know what its like. I too have had altercation coming through customs. Although not nearly as bad as you. I have had dealings on more than on occasion in Toronto. I'm sure there are good hard working people doing this job but the guy I had an altercation with at the airport was a real peice of S__t. Its too bad this unjustfied paranoia is so prevelent in North America society today ( Canada and the USA )

John, sorry to hear about your ordeal. The paranoia that has been fueled in the states makes it difficult for honest people like yourself to enter into the country. They should have also let you contact the UK embassy to get things cleared up.

The terrorist watch list is a joke anyway. Most of the people they have on there have no connections to terrorism or terrorist groups. What tends to happen is they put regular people like you and I on that list 'by accident' and make our lives hell at the airports.

Just goes to show you how flawed and screwed up TSA really is.

Hopefully you can get to any event in the states in the future.

That sounds like what happened to me in 1990 in Canada. I tried to come across the border to go adn play some paintball with a few buddies. We declared our weapons: hunting knives and paintball guns. So off to fill out the forms and be on our way.

Well I got lost and some cheesedick that wanted to toss his weight around tried to make me look stupid and be an an impolite person. So off we went with him to immediately search the car. They tore it apart and then I realized the deep crap we were going to be in. My buddy had broken the guns down for storage and decided to place them in .50cal US military ammo cans. Worst of all the guns resembled m16's... Oh dear.. (thats not what I said, not even close).

The guy shaking lik e a little girl rushed them off to the logistics team. After an hour with my new car torn apart, and our stuff getting soaked in the rain they tried to scare us into cnfession by saying the drug dogs were coming. Fine I said, bring em on. (I am 19 at this time) So after another hour they saw we were not scared of them and decided to let us leave and not enter the country. Fine I said, gimmie my stuff and we will go back. I wont enter your $hit assed moronic country after this anyway. So off I went and they only took my license down and faxed it all over the borders of Cananda. After the 1 finger salute letting them know their customs people were #1 in our book, we left and drove back to Seattle and found a hotel.

Fastfroward to 2 years ago. I wanted to take the wife somewhere special in Canada near Vancouver for a retreat. So I called for ferry times and also costs and the like. The wife said, should we call and see if everything is kosher now? It has been almost 20 years.. Lets just make sure. Thats a good idea!

So I called the consulate and gave them my name and my license number and state I was from at the time. The voice on the other line said: "Um, Yeah... well... lets just not have you try to enter the country and save us both some time. But thanks for calling."

So becuase some morons back in 1990 had no clue what a paintball gun was, I am banned for life so far from Canada.

I feel your pain. Sorry you had to go through this as well.

T*E

Matt that's pretty buzzing too dude.

ah well, a boring life would be, well boring :)

I will sort this out the US embassy as I was thinkning of coming over to DragonCon but I can't be @rsed at the moment.

I'm enjoying a break from work (self employed) and don't need to drag myself down with 'serious' stuff for a while

Killing Germans on COD3 and riding my bike everyday will do me fine for a month or two

thanks for all your kind words on this guys. Thought I'd post up as I heard a rumour about some chap myself, and I thought...sounds familiar LOL

It also serves as a warning to anyone else getting deacs. Be careful where they come from

Matt that's pretty buzzing too dude.

ah well, a boring life would be, well boring :)

I will sort this out the US embassy as I was thinkning of coming over to DragonCon but I can't be @rsed at the moment.

I'm enjoying a break from work (self employed) and don't need to drag myself down with 'serious' stuff for a while

Killing Germans on COD3 and riding my bike everyday will do me fine for a month or two

thanks for all your kind words on this guys. Thought I'd post up as I heard a rumour about some chap myself, and I thought...sounds familiar LOL

It also serves as a warning to anyone else getting deacs. Be careful where they come from

COD3! My screen name is trooperexpert there too! Send me a friend request! I work from home as well and play all the time when I can. We gotta play! Yes, be aware. I play as a murderous German with the KAR98. Best kill records: 181-18 as a german 262-100 as an american at rouen in battle mode ( 6 minutes left and the game kciked everyone out. :( )

Yes, it sucks you didnt make it. Would have been cool to meet!

Send that friend request and I will swear at you in German! LOL!

T*E

COD3! My screen name is trooperexpert there too!

Send that friend request and I will swear at you in German! LOL!

T*E

Lol, thanks dude :)

Friend request sent! Looking forward to it. Mine is TK8456 for anyone else reading this and fancying trying to take a head shot

I will get it sorted yes Seth, as D'con sounds cool. But we'll see. Red tape is a biatch at the best of times.