Cultural Exchange section

Dmian

Hi,

I was wondering if there could be a Cultural Exchange section at the FISD with forums in other languages.

Right off the bat I'm thinking about German, French and Spanish, but others could be added if troopers or Garrisons ask for it.

The idea would be for one forum in your native language (if your native language is different from English) where we could guide troopers without English knowledge to threads and resources, and explain or translate some of the invaluable info that's available here.

I believe it could help encourage a lot of troopers to get into the FISD and reach EIB status.

I know a lot of people in my garrison could reach EIB status if they feel encouraged to do so and have info in their own language. And the FISD is the best place to find information about all things TK!

Anyway, I've asked the leaders of my garrison if they want to make a more formal approach.

I hope you like the idea.

Cheers.

having all the controls translated into those languages is as simple as adding the translator into the forum.

but adding the posts as translated content would require another extensibility.

for an example try this page in spanish:

the board in spanish

the board in german

the board in french

problem solved.

# Section d'échange culturel par Dmian Icône Aujourd'hui,

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I think Damián is talking about incorporating separate forums here with the actual original content in a different language (i.e. not just the skin).

I think it would work and be a great help.

To a lesser extent it is a fucntion that the separate Garrison forums already fulfil. Mainly, thanks to bilingual members like Damián, acting as a go-between and doing a lot of translation, the Spanish Garrison already receives some of the information posted here.

However, I think including different language sections here could bridge this gap more, make the "distances" travelled by the go-betweens shorter and give a lot of troopers who are not native English speakers more direct access to useful information.

I agree that the Spanish Garrison, for example, certainly has a lot of potential for more EIBs and any help to take down the language barrier would be a help.

I speak English, German, Spanish and a bit of French and would certainly get involved and help out if required.

Edited by Rick330

I think Damián is talking about incorporating separate forums here with the actual content in a different language (i.e. not just the skin).

I think it would work and be a great help.

To a lesser extent it is a fucntion that the separate Garrison forums already fulfil. Mainly, thanks to bilingual members like Damián, acting as a go-between and doing a lot of translation, the Spanish Garrison already receives some of the information posted here.

However, I think including different language sections here could bridge this gap more, make the "distances" travelled by the go-betweens shorter and give a lot of troopers who are not native English speakers more direct access to useful information.

I agree that the Spanish Garrison, for example, certainly has a lot of potential for more EIBs and any help to take down the language barrier would be a help.

I speak English, German, Spanish and a bit of French and would certainly get involved and help out if required.

Exactly! :duim:

Troopers helping troopers. :D

Vern, run a test for me ...

Have Babel Fish translate an English text into another language and then have it translate back into English. Read the results and that should give you some idea of the limitations of mechanical translation.

Babel Fish is a great tool for a rough aid to understanding a simple (e.g. for international eBay correspondance etc.) but when it comes to detail and some of the finer points more complex subjects, you need the human touch.

those links translate the entire board, not just the skin!

just create an interface that leads to any of the links on the

babelfish website and you have an instant interface with all the

posts translated WITHOUT adding anything or doing any work.

this is one happy trooper.

I've known about translating pages on the fly for a long long time!

it would be up to the staff to post the links in any fashion they would want.

it's just a simple URL that translates the entire board depending upon what you paste

into it.

a series of FLAGS and images could be added to the toolbar and you'd have instant post translation.

and you're correct... the translations are not perfect.

but it's a step in the right direction? isn't it?

I'd have to ask dimian to take a look at the links and browse around.

the translation of babel fish has improved quite a bit.

or you can do the test and produce the results yourself richard.

hope this helps take steps in the right direction.

for me, I see the entire board, posts, and everything

translated completely.

into the languages asked for.

Dimian can also prove the accuracy of the translations shown.

babel fish has been around for a long time, and translating threads in here

should be no problem.

or just add this code to the entire website:

Cut and paste this line of html into your page:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="UTF-8" language="JavaScript1.2" src="http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/free_trans_service/babelfish2.js?from_lang=en&region=us"></script> 

babel fish

post heading in dutch:

Aankondigingen

Aankondigingen van het Personeel, Webmaster, en Admins van het Bevel van het Detachement.

same post back again from that into english:

Notices

Notices of the staff, web master, and Admins of the command of the Detachement.

works fine

I think Damian's is a great idea. It will help bringing to the detachment people that cannot speak English at all or whose English is not so good and they were not attracted to the forum until now. Once they are in, they will become more involved with the other sections and activities of the detachment.

I don't think it involves any hard work at all, just create new sections of the forums and the content will be taken care of by the members themselves.

Damian, as GXO of the Spanish Garrison I have contacted the Detachment Leader and the XO to talk about this :)

I think Damian's is a great idea. It will help bringing to the detachment people that cannot speak English at all or whose English is not so good and they were not attracted to the forum until now. Once they are in, they will become more involved with the other sections and activities of the detachment.

I don't think it involves any hard work at all, just create new sections of the forums and the content will be taken care of by the members themselves.

Damian, as GXO of the Spanish Garrison I have contacted the Detachment Leader and the XO to talk about this :)

:duim:

Thanks for the official support Javi!

:salute:

How about a translator for "drunken fool" that is my native language at weekends and im pretty sure im not the only one lol :P

I'm pretty sure we can help with that too! LOL :D

I think the google tool looks much better than the babel fish tool. the babel fish does not handle the site's graphic layers very well.

if damian chooses to use any of these suggested methods for translation, google also allows original language speakers to provide a "better translation"

and that upgrades the google tool itself. so, in essence, the google tool can learn from human interaction.

the drunken language translator tool would look great with some empty beer cans and cigarette butts in the background graphic!

has anyone in this thread looked at how completely the tools suggested translate the entire board?

there is no need for a special section. just links on the forum to instantly translate the entire board

into the specified language.

a drop down menu box with the appropriate language links could be placed inside the header TPL of the IP board.

if a cultural section was developed, and users manually translated sections, then this would start to create

a huge server load of repeated data.

a cultural section in my opinion should have links provided to translate the entire forum.

not just individual human translated posts.

Vern, it's not just a problem of 1-to-1 translation of the forum contents or the forum's interface. It's more about filling that cultural gap that maybe today is preventing people with a poor understanding of English geting EIB status.

It will not be a full duplication of the actual forums in another language, but rather just a single forum for non-English speakers to get help in their own language.

I'm pretty sure it can be useful and that it may encourage many people in garrisons around the world to improve their armor and get a better knowledge about this hobby. :)

Sure, I think think this is great. I need...

What the forum category should be called, e.g. "International Assistance", or hopefully something more Star Wars in feel like "Galactic Embassies". Then just what each language specific forum should be called - I think each language can pick something fun, e.g. instead of just "Spanish Forum" something that highlights a Spanish language cultural touchstone.

Sure, I think think this is great. I need...

What the forum category should be called, e.g. "International Assistance", or hopefully something more Star Wars in feel like "Galactic Embassies". Then just what each language specific forum should be called - I think each language can pick something fun, e.g. instead of just "Spanish Forum" something that highlights a Spanish language cultural touchstone.

"Galactic Embassies" sounds nice! :duim:

I guess for each forum, something like "Help in ..." in their own language would suffice. For example, in Spanish it would be "Ayuda en español". Or maybe "Spanish forum" which would be "Foro en español" (in Spanish we don't capitalize languages names.)

As you see fit Paul. :salute:

Esta es una buena idea todo y me gusta el nombre de la Asamblea Galáctica o algo parecido:)

:D:duim: