Microphone vs. fan placement

Got my sweet new Aker mic and speaker set up. Just tried it out and because my fans in my helmet are right at the mouth level, the microphone picks up the humming sound of the fans. So I'm guessing I need to place my fans somewhere else in my helmet. I really like where they currently are because they keep my lenses from fogging up. I've heard that some people put the fans in the back of the helmet to keep the circulation going, but my question is this. How well do the fans do in the back? Or is there a better place I could place the fans?

Is the mic omni or uni directional? I did Vader last weekend at a library and borrowed an amp because I had to read a book. I've got an 80mm fan right in the chin vent and the the mic didn't pick up the fan at all. I doubt the two were a inch apart.

I just tried it again, and the mic most definitely does pick up the noise of the fans. I'm thinking that it's probably not going to be a problem once I am out in public. When I did a sound test with my old speaker system, it sounded nice and loud while testing it here at home, but once I got to the event, the ambient sound totally drowned out my speaker and no one could hear it at all even with the sound turned all the way up (hence the reason I upgraded to the Aker set up). So I am thinking that being out and about, no one will hear the humming sound of the fans vs. when I'm testing it in a totally quiet room with no other sounds.

I just tried it again, and the mic most definitely does pick up the noise of the fans. I'm thinking that it's probably not going to be a problem once I am out in public. When I did a sound test with my old speaker system, it sounded nice and loud while testing it here at home, but once I got to the event, the ambient sound totally drowned out my speaker and no one could hear it at all even with the sound turned all the way up (hence the reason I upgraded to the Aker set up). So I am thinking that being out and about, no one will hear the humming sound of the fans vs. when I'm testing it in a totally quiet room with no other sounds.

Another way around the fan noise issue is a Push To talk Cable. I have four squirrel fans in my bucket so a PTT cable is a must.

• 6 months later...

I run a cable down my arm to my hand.

I know this is old, but how do you guys work the PTT? Is there a button on the helmet you push? Do you run a wire down to the hand and push it there? Thanks!

I'll try to post some pics tonight, but I have two of tk 4261's in my bucket, right at the mouth.

What I find the best with the Aker is cut the head portion off the mic and tape it right to the inside of the mouth. Also, Aker mic is unidirectional so make sure the white dot is facing your mouth. Should work fine, but if you're still getting some noise place the mics a little further away.

• 8 months later...

I am currently trying to set up a wireless unit. It's the memorex wireless unit and the AKER mr2200 unit. I am a little leery of the PTT deal as I am afraid I will keep forgetting to push the button everytime I talk. Is there a reason that you don't just leave the mike hot all the time? Is it because of fan noise? I also notice my unit is very sensitive even picking up my breathing.

I have my fans set right under the screw for the ears, this placement cools and keeps the lens with no mositure.

I am currently trying to set up a wireless unit. It's the memorex wireless unit and the AKER mr2200 unit. I am a little leery of the PTT deal as I am afraid I will keep forgetting to push the button everytime I talk. Is there a reason that you don't just leave the mike hot all the time? Is it because of fan noise? I also notice my unit is very sensitive even picking up my breathing.

We don't want every slave leia to hear our comments, now do we? :laugh1:

I run a hot microphone. If you start to get feedback, it is difficult to get it to stop. A PTT setup should help if this were to happen randomly.

I also had a fan noise issue. To solve this, I molded a piece of ABS over a fan with a the round end of a box wrench on top. When removed, three of the 4 sides of the fan were sealed creating a squirrell fan and directing the air to circulate around the inside. ----------- Get a PTT! Run it down your sleeve to the tip of your finger. I keep it on my finger with a small piece of elastic. Just push it against your blaster to talk.

WARNING!! If you are wearing rubber chemical gloves and you sweat a lot like I do, the PTT WILL short out and need to be replaced. The PTT unit must be protected. If anyone has suggestions for this please contribute. I tried a balloon----didn't work. I tried silicone caulk, it broke through.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 2 months later...

I also had a fan noise issue. To solve this, I molded a piece of ABS over a fan with a the round end of a box wrench on top. When removed, three of the 4 sides of the fan were sealed creating a squirrell fan and directing the air to circulate around the inside. Get a PTT! Run it down your sleeve to the tip of your finger. I keep it on my finger with a small piece of elastic. Just push it against your blaster to talk.

WARNING!! If you are wearing rubber chemical gloves and you sweat a lot like I do, the PTT WILL short out and need to be replaced. The PTT unit must be protected. If anyone has suggestions for this please contribute. I tried a balloon----didn't work. I tried silicone caulk, it broke through.

Are you putting the PTT in your glove or outside of it?

• 8 months later...

I have my fans set right under the screw for the ears, this placement cools and keeps the lens with no mositure.

That's a good idea. I will have to try that out when I get my fans!

I asked this on another thread and no one answered so I will ask it again here--how exactly are you running the PPT wire from you AKER to your hand? Are you going from the unit up and into the collar of the undersuit and then down your arm? Or from the unit down to your waist and then up under the bodysuit (if two piece)?

It almost seems like there needs to be a hole in the undersuit somewhere to run the wire. In the chest area or underarm. But I'm sure that would rip your body suit. I'm just trying to eliminate as much excess wires as I can.

I asked this on another thread and no one answered so I will ask it again here--how exactly are you running the PPT wire from you AKER to your hand? Are you going from the unit up and into the collar of the undersuit and then down your arm? Or from the unit down to your waist and then up under the bodysuit (if two piece)?

It almost seems like there needs to be a hole in the undersuit somewhere to run the wire. In the chest area or underarm. But I'm sure that would rip your body suit. I'm just trying to eliminate as much excess wires as I can.

Darrel,

I keep my aker and icomm in my back armor. I then run the PTT cable up my shoulder and then down my arm and into my glove. I leave the cable outside of my under suit but under my armor. It really is no big sea lfor me since the wire is black and blends in with the suit color. I also run a mp3 cable to my wrist so i can control TK chatter playback from a iPod shuffle. At my shoulder i use a velcro strip to hold the PTT wire at the shoulder so that it travels straight down the top of my shoulder.

Hope that helps...