storage cases

Eric

ok so im not totally sure if im posting this in the right area, but i do have a question... i'm still very new to all of this.

ok so once i put all of my suit together and stuff, whats the best way to store it? i dont have a mannequin, nor do i plan to any time soon... so when im not trooping or just doing w/e at random with my outfit, whats the best way to store it? just a suitcase decked out just right? or...?

what do you guys use or know of? any thoughts would be great :D please and thank you :P

I store mine in my armor bin. Sometimes I store it where I took it off last. Or sometimes laying all over the work bench in my shed. B)

In other words, it really doesn't matter where. It's gonna be pretty tough and as long as you're not shoving it in a box and putting it under a dripping faucet in a moldy basement it will be fine.

Not a dumb question at all though dude!

I remember wondering the SAME THING!

I just got a large wheeled rubber maid tub.

Like this, but with wheels

---------

You can find them cheap at Fred Meyer and the like.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I take the armor off, let it dry / wipe it clean inside if necessary. Some people like to keep the outside clean and polish it, others like to leave their armor naturally weathered with scratches and scuffs, its up to you.

I store my gear in a large hockey gear bag. Everything fits in it.

I store mine in a big plastic tot that I got at Walmart for $7.00! Everything fits perfectly. The only downside is that the tot doesn't have wheels on the back like some do, so I bought a luggage dolly for about $28 at Staples to haul it around. I had to get the smaller sized tot so that it would fit in the back of the small trunk of my car.

Here is another place:-------------

The Stor-It-All (42 gallon)trunk is what I have, and is now $49.00. Fits perfectly my TC or TK, you can stand on it(I'm over 200 lbs) and has wheels. Very well made. Lockable but breachable.

If you want to store 2 armor, there a bigger cart. HomeDepot has a 50 gallon one, very well made, but unless you have a SUV and don't plan to travel with it or plan to pay the extra air fee, a great cart.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Not a dumb question at all though dude!

I remember wondering the SAME THING!

thanks guys. thats kinda along the lines of what i was thinking.

i figured it was a decent question but same time i was like, man i feel like a total goof asking. :P

so im guessing this is the right spot for random questions like this? lol

lol. i'd be lil worried bout checking it. :P but along the flying lines... i've been wondering if you'd be able to be in the outfit and get through airport security... sure check the blaster just because its a gun (of a sort) but still. lol

lol. i'd be lil worried bout checking it. :P but along the flying lines... i've been wondering if you'd be able to be in the outfit and get through airport security... sure check the blaster just because its a gun (of a sort) but still. lol

Pelican makes real good waterproof cases, with the option of the pluck and pull foam interior. They costs a little more but worth every penny in my opinion. Some even have a built-in handles, with wheels. I use one for all my photo gear, when traveling.

Pelican makes real good waterproof cases, with the option of the pluck and pull foam interior. They costs a little more but worth every penny in my opinion. Some even have a built-in handles, with wheels. I use one for all my photo gear, when traveling.

now that sounds cool. lol. i'll look into that.

but still though.. anyone try flying in their outfits? lol :)

On 2/16/2010 at 1:07 AM, Eric said:

now that sounds cool. lol. i'll look into that.

but still though.. anyone try flying in their outfits? lol :)

No. I don't know if "they" would be cool with that. They would probably consider parts of your armor to be questionable. Sharp edges and things of that nature. But that's just my opinion.

---------

nice case. but expensive.

Jess

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the safest most secure way to get my armor (once completed) from Los Angeles to Orlando. So has anyone experienced any problems with checking their armor or do you just divide it into two carry on bags?

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the safest most secure way to get my armor (once completed) from Los Angeles to Orlando. So has anyone experienced any problems with checking their armor or do you just divide it into two carry on bags?

FedEx / UPS. Let them pack it and ship it... it's there when you're there. A bit more $$ but secure, insured, and no worries.

If you're traveling with Vader armor you just wear it and tell the flight attendants that you have oxygen and have to wear the suit.

On 2/16/2010 at 3:05 PM, cobra said:

I've heard that some troopers are using this--------

Does anyone use it??

Actually YES!

I looked and looked for that online earlier to post on here.

That's what I carry my sandtrooper in. The entire thing, minus the helmet, fits and I strap the pack around the handle and am good to go.

Gun, shoes, everything. And I have my sides riveted together! B)

Great bin.

Small... but big.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I use something very similar to this...

--------

I got it at Wal-Mart a few years ago for less than $20, although mine is blue. I have since added steel cables on the hinge side and a lock on the lift side. It holds all my TK stuff with room to spare.

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 2/16/2010 at 9:16 PM, SithTrooper said:

I use something very similar to this...

--------

I have since added steel cables on the hinge side and a lock on the lift side.

B) smart man

Edited by gmrhodes13

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q5LZT4/ref=asc_df_B000Q5LZT41032250?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000Q5LZT4

I have two of these bins. Don't worry about the price. You can buy them at Home Depot for between $50-$60. The nice thing is the lock. We have had troop events where our changing rooms were broken into and gear was damaged and things were stolen. It happened at the SWIC at the Cowboys stadium. My bin was not touched because it was safely locked....

So just to end my somewhat thread hijacking, is it pretty well established that the best way to transport armor internationally for cons and such is shipping it via UPS or FedEX? Not flying with it?

I personally would never fly with my armor, I'm actually planning on driving from Oklahoma to Florida for Celebration simply to avoid shipping armor.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q5LZT4/ref=asc_df_B000Q5LZT41032250?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000Q5LZT4

I have two of these bins. Don't worry about the price. You can buy them at Home Depot for between $50-$60. The nice thing is the lock. We have had troop events where our changing rooms were broken into and gear was damaged and things were stolen. It happened at the SWIC at the Cowboys stadium. My bin was not touched because it was safely locked....

I bought some cheap (sub $20) tubs from hardware store and drilled 4 1/4th holes in it and use pad locks. Sad thing about any crate you get (be it $5 or $100) if it's made of plastic a knife is going to cut it right open.

If you have to fly, be sure to secure your bag with a TSA approved lock and extra padding for your armor. I've travel domestically on Southwest, no extra charge for extra bags. TSA will examine anything that appears to be a weapon, explosive, or contraband. I recommend separately wrapped everything in clear plastic containers or zipper bags for easy accessMy link.

For your blaster/lightsaber/helmet- remove all batteries and separate them from the holders. I personally do a carry-on with my helmet.

I've heard a lot of nightmare stories with stolen items(baggage handlers), TSA- lost,damage or destroyed their stuff. Only good thing about FedEx and UPS is that it's less likely to be opened, "mishandled" as much and the above mentioned. The only problems I had with TSA was them not correctly putting back my stuff and nearly damaging my armor & jumppack. Thank ABS for be flexible and padding protected from damages.

Good luck in finding the best container for you. The 50 gallon is nice, but it's humongous...

So just to end my somewhat thread hijacking, is it pretty well established that the best way to transport armor internationally for cons and such is shipping it via UPS or FedEX? Not flying with it?

haha. its totally cool, i dont mind your somewhat hijacking one bit... fine point brought up. :P it seems its personal prefferance. though i dunno what i'd do. if going internationally... it seems shipping is safer...

once i checked some luggage that was some figurines and there was a fragile sticker on it... yeah i actually saw them through the lil window (i always get window seats just behind the window though the furthest back is safest) they threw that bag onto the lil conveyor thing... pissed me off. but luckily i had them very well packed... i too travel southwest