MR CE Hero mod

TKTrev

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice.

I'll shortly be getting my AP armor, but I already have a MRCE helmet that I was planning to modify. I've noticed that just about everyone here seems to modify the helmet to look more like an ANH Stunt helmet. I like the idealized look of the MR CE with the symmetry etc, and since the brow is already low I thought it might be easier just to modify into a Hero helmet.

If I wanted to do this Hero mod I would consider bubble eye lenses, reducing the ears, and that's about it. Am I missing something? Is it just personal taste that leads most people to make it resemble a stunt helmet. I'd rather not have to alter the brow. The ears look tricky enough! Has anyone modded this to a Hero style?

Thanks!

Yes... it's just personal taste. Plus, to do it really well you need to strip it all down and fill in the gap with putty then repaint it... and I think that step alone has led people to go ahead and do the brow. Again, preference, but the idea of, "Since I'm doing all THIS work... might as well..." creeps in I think.

You will fill "the gap" on the frown, right?

I don't know of anyone specifically that's done the MR CE into a Hero... but I'm SURE there has to be SOMEONE!

Good luck, and post pics when you do it!! B)

If you are going to modfy your MRCE, to improve the look of the bucket, you might change the total ears out and not just modify them. I think it looks more authentic .

You can do it :duim:

here is a good tutorial:

-----

and you might wanna look at this too:

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

I'm still on the fence about the whole thing... I'm a little less than confident about my skills in doing a big mod, (mostly the painting), but not enough to stop me from learning! I had always liked the Hero look and I think this helmet lends itself well to an albeit symmetrical version of that. I do plan on doing the ears... (I hadn't thought of replacing them altogether though. Where should I get replacements?) I'm not sure where to get the bubble lenses I would need. I had considered just heating up some flat lenses as best I could and trying to maybe mould them a bit. I don't know. I'll definitely fill the seam! And work on pimping out the inside too!

If it goes well I'll post some pics. I may just give up and make a stunt mod with the brow etc though... It's growing on me! And raising the brow doesn't seem to be as difficult as I first thought it might be.

I have an as yet unfinished AP too though for the stunt look! Hopefully I won't mess that one up!

The MRCE is a great bucket to learn on. I was in the same position as you when I started mine. Very unsure about my abilities and not sure how far I want to take it. I pretty much went for broke and did it, and just had to learn as I went along. It helped a lot to boost my abilities and to gain that confidence.

If you like the Hero look, I say go for it. I think the MRCE would make a great Hero lid.

Here's how mine came out

C0MHiMV.jpg

Hi Vern,

Thanks! Your helmet looks great there! That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind for mine! I think the MRCE looks like it would make a good Hero version. I'm interested in how you did the bubble lenses... I haven't figured out how I'm going to get around that yet. Is that AP armor you have on there? If so, the paint job on the helmet matches very well! Did you use caulk for the exterior of the seam in the front?

Thanks for the offer of help! I'll need it and I'm sure I'll have lots more questions before I get finished!

PM me and I'll give you the inside track on how to do this mod.

• 3 weeks later...

The MR CE is a fun helmet to mod. It's good practice and it's kind of fun to see a symmetrical helmet idealized this way in my opinion.

I have an AP to fix up standard ANH stunt style too, so best of both worlds! ;)

It's all personal preference, but I think the MRCE looks horrible. Back when they were first appearing on ebay, they were around 80-100 dollars. Now they're getting a little rarer, around the 200 dollar mark, which is a little ridiculous and a bit too much for me to spend if I'm going to end up cutting it up and just practicing modding on it.

My 2c.

alexisrosado said:
ok, is there somewhere on here that has all the different types of helmets next to eachtother and what the letters stand for? lol

Here are some common acronyms:

MR CE stand for Master Replicas Collectors Edition

TM TroopMaster

ATA, Affordable Trooper Armor

TE2, Trooper Expert Generation 2

PT, Pirate Trooper

AP, Authentic Props

Here is a link to help you with more common acronyms-----

Edited by gmrhodes13

RogueTrooper said:
Here are some common acronyms:

MR CE stand for Master Replicas Collectors Edition

TM TroopMaster

ATA, Affordable Trooper Armor

TE2, Trooper Expert Generation 2

PT, Pirate Trooper

AP, Authentic Props

Here is a link to help you with more common acronyms -----

thanks man!

Edited by gmrhodes13

Lots of people have the MRCE, but that's mostly because they were really low in price there for awhile. However, the prices on them are going back up. It's not worth it, if you want a helmet for trooping. You can get better for the same price or cheaper. If you just want a lower priced display piece, the MRCE is reasonable.

Honestly I would go for an ATA if I were you trevor. Its not as expensive as the other helmets, only 100 for the lid kit. I got an ATA kit and I think the helmet looks great but you can juge for yourself. I also had no experience whatsoever of building a helmet. I turned out it was pretty easy to put together however. Heres a picture.

-----

Found this Master Replicas lid...Lol. Its worth a look and a laugh

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13

alexisrosado said:
ok, is there somewhere on here that has all the different types of helmets next to eachtother and what the letters stand for? lol

Here are the fan made helmets: -----

Here is a page on the Master Replicas helmets: -----

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...