How were ANH tube stripes done?

The original tube stripes were painted on as well. I'm sure they had some sort of "mask" they used... but you can see how wonky they are in the pics on SWH.

And yes... in ANH all the traps were hand painted as well.

ESB went to decals... as you probably know.

(love that sig btw! hadn't told you that yet...)

Ditto!

No said:
The original tube stripes were painted on as well. I'm sure they had some sort of "mask" they used... but you can see how wonky they are in the pics on -----

And yes... in ANH all the traps were hand painted as well.

ESB went to decals... as you probably know.

(love that sig btw! hadn't told you that yet...)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Were the tube stripes really hand painted, or airbrushed using a template? Looking at the pictures on Starwarshelmets.com (picture borrowed from there for reference)...

------------

I find that the individual stripes have very sharp corners. This would be crazy to try and achieve with 50+ helmets for a film production on a short time frame (note, I’m a traditionally trained artist, so I know how to handle a brush, and it’s hard to get the lines that sharp freehand).

Also, I know the individual blue lines themselves have an organic, hand done look to them, but the “row” of stripes (the actual width) is very consistent, which leaves me to believe at least some masking tape or stencil was used.

Does anyone know the actual process used? Were they maybe brush painted with masking tape to mask the rows, and then a brush stroke was done to paint each stripe? Or was a mask / template used and the whole thing was airbrushed?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I think I read somewhere that they were silk screened. If they pattern would have been hand cut, it would explain the irregular, "organic" look.

There must be also an old thread here, where TE said that he had found some painted on with an plain ball point pen.

K.

The helmet detailing was done by Bob Walker on the original ANH helmets, all by hand.

Are you sure Mark? These are certainly not hand painted and look like decals or at least pen or paint on paper then stuck on.

EDIT: The SFS photo above looks like they are stuck on too, see the white edges to each curved blue line.

Looking at the originals and from painting my own tube stripes, they appear to have been masked along the top and bottom, but I am still to be convinced all were free hand painted as the tube stripes are all similar curves, even though their individual thicknesses differ.

The other side though is the speed/roughness they were painted up, and would they have spent time on making up stencils...as all differ.

JoeR said:
Are you sure Mark? These are certainly not hand painted and look like decals or at least pen or paint on paper then stuck on.

EDIT: The SFS photo above looks like they are stuck on too, see the white edges to each curved blue line.

I just said who did the work and by hand. Meaning free hand. I didnt say by what means and or if a stencil was or was or wasnt used ... Its quite possible he used a curved cut out piece of card board or any other item to aid in getting the same curves, i dont know im not an artist.

I have seen people doing old style sign writing on vans with out using any aids and at the end it looks as clean and neat as a decal or printed so its not unimaginable.

I remember the thread my TE now i will have to re read it..

I can see some point in it, but this helmet is built entirely different from other ANH helmets and it did go through hell from filming. But, the one key thing is the riveted on ears. Yes, the ears are riveted on and not screwed on. We do know that this helmet was used for the falls. I spoke to one of the stunt actors and he described the interior of this helmet to a 't' when I asked basic questions about it. I think that this was done as an on set quick repair, of course not done as the helmets were first done by Freeborn's crew. Never the less, it does make it unique and I rack it up to THE stunt helmet in my book. I also found the armor that went with this helmet. Again, the stunt man that wore it described what happened to it to the letter and it is in the same condition today as when it was pulled off of him back in 1976.

I know opinions will be all over about this helmet. thats cool... Everyone in the least can look and enjoy the shot.

T*E

To clear up the possible origin of the helmet with decals for those who wont bother clicking on the link...