E-bay "makerofthings" TK armor

Darth Voorhees

Came across this today..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-ANH-Stormtro...=item45f01dd5c1

i always check out what armor is on fleabay, mostly for a laugh, but this one seem intriguing to me. im looking for a less expensive set of armor for my sandy and was thinkin this may be a decent alternative. I just cant remember if .60 styrene would be too thin. What youguys think? i can swapout the ab section if need be, but the rest dont seem that bad honestly. I noticed inhis feedback that his older listings said TE stormtrooper armor,but he's since removed that. So im thinking maybe this is a recast TE? Anyway for the price it seems like a steal, just want to get some opinions before i make a decision. thanks guys!

Hey Lou,

Maker of Things is a re-caster of TE2's armor which is not condoned. What I have read about his stuff is that he doesn't have the necessary skills and the armor is poorly made. For what my opinion is worth. stay away!!

0.60 ga is thin for armor, will not last many troops. You want to look for armor made from 0.080 to 0.090 ga. material. My suggestion is to look toward some of the people on this forum like TE2, AP, and TM....

You can read more about this re-caster at this link of the forum:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=7235

thanks..thats what i wanted to know! ....and if he re-casts TE2 that is beyond forgiveable!

yea i have AP armor now and messaged TE2 about a set of armor but havent heard back from T yet. Dunno when he's pulling again. Was just curious about this as it was so cheap and looked accurate-ish.

thanks again....ill stick with waiting for T to get back to me!

I just wanted to add that he states the cracks in the helmet which were a result of vacuum forming are in fact the result of a bad craftsman. Anyone who pulls a helmet (or anything) and damages the plastic on mould removal obviously has no skills in mould making or vacuum forming.

I just wanted to add that he states the cracks in the helmet which were a result of vacuum forming are in fact the result of a bad craftsman. Anyone who pulls a helmet (or anything) and damages the plastic on mould removal obviously has no skills in mould making or vacuum forming.

heh yea i noticed that..i was like, funny....none of the helmets i ever had were like that lol

Glad i posted about this,so now others will stay away!

Question though...is makerofthings and piratetrooper the same guy? the link posted in the first response was a thread about PT being a recaster,which i already knew. Just wondering if this guy was found to be the same person.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an older thread, and there is really not anything new that can be added about staying away from this guy and pretty much armor on ebay in general.. (Still wish I had found FISD and my garison prior to buying my armor) Anyways, I was doing some digging and I came across my orignial big brown box.. and while granted its not concrete, but a little deductive resoning and I came up with the fact I bought my armor from makerofthings! before he became maker of things. Only redeeming factor is I gave about half of what he is asking now for it. Same city and state, same pictures used in his ebay description. From personal experience avoid it like its coated in radioactive waste. I doubt that he has gotten much better at making them seeing as how he is still using super thin styrene. They are way too thin, there are cracks, lots of "wonky-crooked" parts, my left bicep was basically flat, the helmet and face mask have so many folds and cracks that it looks like someone that has had too many face-lifts and requires so much bondo putty that it wont be started till im finished with everything else. I have a feeling that some of our better builders would be pulling out hair trying to make it look good. Not something recommended for a first-timer in my opinion. Its simply not worth the savings. You would rack up much more in heart ache and grief with it. I will get off my soap box preaching, I know I was a little long winded, but I have to admit it felt good to really vent about this guys product finally and this was the perfect place to do it.

• 5 weeks later...

Even as a newbie, I can state STAY AWAY from Makerofthings! I "attempted" to assemble a helmet kit I got from him recently as my 1st helmet build, and well, it ended in a horrible mess. The helmet cracked at rivet points, ( from thin product ). And once assembled, the front mask was found to be horribly moulded out of alignment. So please, PLEASE, avoid his kits like the plague.

On a personal note, I've since ordered a nice kit from a person on here, ( ABS80 ), and hopefully, once he catches up on shipments, I'll get mine and get to start on a "quality" designed kit. I hope everyone can reccomend ABS80 as a good seller. Like I said, I'm new to this, and I've heard some good things about him from people on here.

Anyways, stay away from MOT, and do a little research. It will save you headaches, pain, AND money in the end! Best of luck, and keep trooping!

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2 ;)

Even as a newbie, I can state STAY AWAY from Makerofthings! I "attempted" to assemble a helmet kit I got from him recently as my 1st helmet build, and well, it ended in a horrible mess. The helmet cracked at rivet points, ( from thin product ). And once assembled, the front mask was found to be horribly moulded out of alignment. So please, PLEASE, avoid his kits like the plague.

On a personal note, I've since ordered a nice kit from a person on here, ( ABS80 ), and hopefully, once he catches up on shipments, I'll get mine and get to start on a "quality" designed kit. I hope everyone can reccomend ABS80 as a good seller. Like I said, I'm new to this, and I've heard some good things about him from people on here.

Anyways, stay away from MOT, and do a little research. It will save you headaches, pain, AND money in the end! Best of luck, and keep trooping!

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2 ;)

I feel your pain.. I still have yet to attempt my helmet from him...every time I start to work on another piece of my armor, I think wow i could have avoided this pain, had I just found the FISD 2 weeks earlier... well you know what they say hind sight its always 20/20...... but the one good thing.. provided I can get this one up to snuff... im thinking.. its going to make my next build a breeze..

• 3 weeks later...

What's wrong with it? He did a great job on the paint. I have had several helmets from Gino F. VT,TE, CAP, CAP W. DA etc etc. They all went together the same for me. Yes some are softer in details and some are thinner or cut in a tad more. But I was commenting on the paint and I think he did a great job on it. I would say the same about all the builders if they looked like that.