Question: Rivets, shims, and EIB

Hey guys,

I want to just ask here before I go ahead and do this mod. I don't have a camera to take a picture, but I did a doodle in photoshop to help me explain better what I'm asking.

I needed to shim the back of my thighs, so I cut a piece of a white trashcan to size and currently it is held into place with velcro on both sides of the shim (as represented by the red in the first image)

For what ever reason, I'm guessing an oversight/accident when making my kit, the back of my RT-Mod thighs only have one raised edge (on the outer most pieces) rather than the normal two. Now as a result where my shim is velcroed into place where there is a raised edge missing (inner thigh pieces) looks very sloppy/unproffesional, and does not want to stray together when I walk (even though I have industrial grade velcro).

SO to the real question. If I riveted the shim into place on the one troublesome side (see second image as represented by the blue dots) would that hinder me getting EIB status? I know none of the screen used suits had rivets in those places, but I am afraid E6000 wouldn't hold up to these high stress area and would eventually come apart.

Thanks!

shim.jpg

Well for what it's worth, E-6000 will hold up believe it or not. But the rivets will not interfere with your achieving EIB. Just make sure to paint the heads white.

I'd really recommend against visible rivets, and disagree with Terrell. I don't think we spell out that they can't be there, but they do detract from the visual appeal and typically glue holds just fine. Remember, they're not supposed to be stressed after all, just stay shut.

I'd really recommend against visible rivets, and disagree with Terrell. I don't think we spell out that they can't be there, but they do detract from the visual appeal and typically glue holds just fine. Remember, they're not supposed to be stressed after all, just stay shut.

Luckily it didn't need to come to riveting the shims in place. Everyone was right and the E6000 is holding up fine enough on its own. So, crisis averted :D