naatsirhc's ATA build[*ATA]

naatsirhc

With my blaster mod almost completed, I just had to start on my armor. It just kept calling to me!

I would like to thank everyone one who has contributed to the various build threads which I have found most helpful. If I am doing something wrong or if you have any pointers, please let me know.

The first thing I needed to do was go to the hobby store and get some lexan scissors, while I was there I decided to try the modeling putty( for whatever ).

ata1.jpg

I then layed the armor out pairing up the pieces

ata2.jpg

Next, penciling score lines and cutting

ata3.jpg

ata4.jpg

ata5.jpg

ata6.jpg

ata7.jpg

ata8.jpg

I finished first round of trimming, I still need to trim where parts meet and cut strips.

I could not help but work a little on the bucket ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, now a little bit on the helmet.

Penciled in trim line for eyes on the inside of face plate

ata9.jpg

Marked teeth

ata10.jpg

Neck trim

ata11.jpg

Then the sides

ata12.jpg

Cut right and left sides

ata13.jpg

ata14.jpg

Trimmed neck area and dryfit seal

ata15.jpg

ata16.jpg

Next, is to jump back on trimming the armor :D

I finally got back to my armor. Trimming the ends where the armor goes together was causing some delay. To be honest, I was stressing about it. Talked to TK-4261 about it and checked his build thread, which was very helpful. After getting off the phone I grabbed my forearms and went to work.

I started off trimming the ends on left arm 1inch from the seam on the inside. I then did a test fit

ata17.jpg

ata18.jpg

ata19.jpg

I then marked a 1/2 inch from the inside and then scored and snapped

ata20.jpg

taped and test fit, A little snug, but I will fine tune after gluing

ata21.jpg

ata22.jpg

left side, started with marking and trimming ends. I found that just using pencil line on armor and then scoring was easier than when I used tape. 1/2 inch tape would have provided a line for me to follow

but I am out.

ata23.jpg

ata24.jpg

The right side is a little bigger, so fine tuning is required

ata25.jpg

ata26.jpg

later today I will test diff epoxies on scrap to see what won't warp and start biceps

Not much for today, I was able to get the biceps trimmed. Still need some adjustment, but I have a good start. I was not able to get to the store and buy some weld epoxy to try. I have been using E-6000 on my blaster mod, it is great stuff. I just want something stronger to hold the armor together. I plan on running strips on the inside too. So here are my biceps, using the same method as I did on forearms.

ata27.jpg

ata28.jpg

Going to be away this weekend, but I hope to start on the legs Sunday Evening.

Thanks for the comments and questions :D

• 2 weeks later...

Got back to the bucket today. Cut out the eyes and teeth. I used an exacto to cut everything out, I then filed with small file. After that, I sanded everything down with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Here are some pics! B)

ata29.jpg

ata30.jpg

ata31.jpg

ata32.jpg

I have decided to put my bucket together and get it ready for paint. I trimmed the cap back area and the sides a little. I have been reviewing tk-4510's tutorial and I think I have it ready to assemble. I reinforced the hovi areas with superglue gel and old sock. It is common for these areas to be softer, the right inside was my main problem, but I did both to help support hovis and be uniform. I have not decided about a black interior, I hope to assemble tonight. We will see how that goes!

I like the lower brow

ata33.jpg

Superglued sock

ata34.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement. It makes me feel really good to have you guys that know your stuff give

me a little boost here and there. B) I have completed my bucket, it by no means was easy to assemble. I definately struggled with this, the ears drove me crazy. I wanted some gaps for screen accuracy, I hope I did not do to bad a job. I will have a much easier time on the next one.

I painted the inside of face plate and part of the back cap with plastidip black paint.

ata35.jpg

ata36.jpg

After letting it dry all night I began my assembly, attaching both sides.

ata37.jpg

ata38.jpg

I then went for the ears, spent a lot of time trying to get them right. Let me know if I need to change anything. TK-4510 makes this look easy in his tutorial. I had the most trouble with the bottom screw.

Look close and you can see where I had issues with the holes, I need fill in my boo-boos

ata39.jpg

ata40.jpg

Front view and neck trim

ata41.jpg

I had to do some trimming to get my head in, I have to do the screw on/off method

ata42.jpg

You don't realize how assymetrical the helmet is until you assemble.

My first bucket, I hope it looks ok :huh:

Now it is back to trimming the legs!

I began working on the lower legs, I could use some advice here. Do I have the pieces assembled correctly? It looks right but i am not sure. Also, are you supposed to taper the trim toward the ankles?

Please take a look and let me know!

Test fit left leg

ata43.jpg

both legs taped

ata44.jpg

Your help will be most appreciated! B)

Wow! My 100th post.

I think you're right on the money. You don't want them to taper -- you're going to have to fit boots inside them, and you want a little bit of wiggle room so you can pivot and walk, etc.

For my $.02, what you have looks correct!

I think you're right on the money. You don't want them to taper -- you're going to have to fit boots inside them, and you want a little bit of wiggle room so you can pivot and walk, etc.

For my $.02, what you have looks correct!

Thanks for the advice doug, much appreciated! :D I hope to get my trimming done tommorrow and prep for assembly this coming week.

Christaan

I had mine tapered when I assembled them, after my first fitting, they were the first thing to get the dremmel. you'll see quickly that they will pinch in and be uncomfortable. best to open the bottom up, but again, do what's most comfortable for you. If you're going to take some off, do a little at a time, and test fit. looking good so far!

Thanks Eric for the much needed advice!

I have another question for you guys, regarding the thighs. I have trimmed them down to were I have a 2 inch ridge front and back. They seem to fit my leg build very well like this. My question, am I allowed to have this much space. I will be adding the required 7/8 inch strips. Or, does the front need to be about anch wide w/ 7/8 inch strip. I am assuming they are not supposed to be real tight, to allow for movement. I am getting ready to glue things up and not sure about this ridging on the ATA. I have look at alot of pics of other builds and there is variation in the ridge spaceing.

Here is a pic of the front view of my thighs

ata45.jpg

Please let me know! B)

I defer that question to those more qualified to answer. I will say this: it is your armor, you will be the one wearing it. Do what you feel is best, and what you will be happiest with. That being said Paul or Terrell, any of the vets here are always a good sounding board for opinions.

I defer that question to those more qualified to answer. I will say this: it is your armor, you will be the one wearing it. Do what you feel is best, and what you will be happiest with. That being said Paul or Terrell, any of the vets here are always a good sounding board for opinions.

Thanks Eric, Terrell has been kind enough to help out with this issue.

I know it sounds like a broken record, but i would like to thank you guys again for your help.

After getting my ridge question answered by Terrell( Thank you ) I have trimmed everything except my thighs to the correct size. So, I will be gluing up some pieces today.

Here are a couple of pics showing what I did to make the strips. I used a cheap little ruler guide to set my measurements and transfer to the flat styrene provided in the kit.

ata47.jpg

I then cut all the strips: 7/8 inch for legs, 1 inch for calf backs and 5/8 inch for the arms.

ata48.jpg

I am getting close now, I am looking into having a relative do a professional auto body finish. I think this will look better and hold up longer.

Well,

I am getting closer to completing my build. I did a lot more trimming and brought all the ridged areas to their correct spacing. This was very time consuming, but well worth the effort. I decided to glue support strips on the inside, I started with the arms.

ata50.jpg

ata51.jpg

ata52.jpg

ata53.jpg

I then glued strips to the inside of the front of the calves. My wife took a shot of me working on the thighs.

ata54.jpg

My thigh pieces are gluing up right now. I am using a devcon 5 min epoxy for insides and will use plastic weld on the face strips. After a 24 hour cure on the forearms I filed and sanded the ridge lines flat, to cleanly accept the strips. I will spend much of tommorrow gluing on the strips. Here is what my arms look like assembled and prepped for strips.

ata55.jpg

I met with my wifes cousin( who does body work and paint) to talk about having my armor shot with professional paint and clear coat. I gave him my bucket, he will paint on Monday and meet with me Tuesday. If the color looks good then I can finish my lid and have him shoot the rest of the armor.

I am totally excited to see how this turns out! :D

I should have pics up tommorrow evening of assembled armor

I have finished gluing all the arms and legs, here are some pics of the legs and my ab plate. I will be making my snaps next and working on my det tube, chest plate and prepping for paint.

I tried on my calves with my boots to make sure they were good before gluing back strip

ata56.jpg

I then decided to see how the legs looked

ata57.jpg

Here I have clamped the back strip on calves

ata58.jpg

My ab plate fully assembled

ata59.jpg

I will try to get some more pics up soon!

Question: Does the knee and sniper plate go on before paint or after? I was thinking of installing the sniper plate before paint and installing the ammo pouch on knee after. I would really like to hear thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

Christaan