Replacing the Velcro / Sticky stuff removal

synaptyx

Argh! Well this day had to come. My velcro has been melting due to heat and sweat for a long while and finally gave up the ghost at Collectormania in Glasgow. I've stripped it all off in preparation for putting on new, industrial Velcro. Unfortunately I've been left with globs of sticky mess on the inside of the thighs and calfs that I could really do with getting rid of before I stick on the new Velcro.

Any idea how I get this sticky gunk off the armour before I apply the new stuff? Bearing in mind that I'm in the UK when it comes to recommending chemicals. ;)

Cheers guys! :)

On my model making / costume work, I usually use packing or masking tape in a donut shape (sticky side out), rub this down on to the "goo" and pull the tape off quickly, this will remove most of it.

For the remainder, I use stuff called "Goo Gone", it's designed specifically for removing sticky residue left by price tags, etc. I just take a soft terry cloth, place it over the bottle and give it a shake to dispense some fluid into the cloth. Rub this on the goo to remove it.

Sometimes you might need to apply more just to soften the residue. After it's softened, just wipe it off. If you're going to apply something to same spot, I'd suggest cleaning the area with alcohol before doing more work to that specific location.

Hope that helps!

---------

Lighter Fluid

Its brilliant for this and a million and one other uses such as Refilling ya Zippo, Removing magic marker,

Starting up ya barbie and ofcourse reenacting scenes from Tarantino movies :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Billhag said:
----------

Lighter Fluid

Its brilliant for this and a million and one other uses such as Refilling ya Zippo, Removing magic marker,

Starting up ya barbie and ofcourse reenacting scenes from Tarantino movies :D

I use charcoal lighter fluid; Same stuff, a whole lot cheaper. You're right about many uses. I also use it to remove price tags. It also conditions ABS quite nicely.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed