Gos's ATA Armor Build![*ATA]

The only thing that could get me outa bed that fast was the beautiful ring of my phone.

It was my dad letting me know my armor was delivered to their house. So here it is!

The Glory!

post-9683-1251945093_thumb.jpg

This is gonna be a blast to paint!

post-9683-1251586432_thumb.jpg

So I've just started to pencil in the lines to where I want to cut. I must admit since this is my very first armor build I am a bit over whelmed. Trimming everything down seems like the best thing to start with.

Um so that's all I have for now. I will post more as this project gets moving. Don't worry, there will also be questions heh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey how do you like this armor so far?

well since this is my first set of armor I really don't have any comparison to anything else. I must say that the armor is thicker then I thought it would be. Also its not as dull grayish as I thought, it almost looks like I can just polish it up really good.

. Also its not as dull grayish as I thought, it almost looks like I can just polish it up really good.

YA!!! my helmet got here still waiting for the armor ( monday) but i have to say that its whiter then my FX or AP, greanted it doesnt have the shine but is bright then the abs ones i have!!! ATA said that he would suggest to paint and then weather ( for TD) but i dont think thay would be needed...... but i will go AHN stunt so i will Paint.

Very cool GosHawk!!!!! dont forget pics man many pics!!!!

Are you going with the TD version?

yes im going with the TD.

well after a tiring day of heat and sitting the the garage for 7 hours, my dad and I finished all the trimming. Not having the good tools I should have I jus did the ol'scoure and snap on EVERYTHING, omg I must say I have a grater appreciation and respect for everyone in this hobby lol.

Next step putting the bucket together! YAY!

noon mistake I trimmed to much off the ears oops going to take me a bit longer to finish the bucket lol.

Question on the bucket:

Am I suppsto glue the black brow and the neck trim(right wording?) ?

you're going to need to paint it. I'm just about done with my ATA build, and trust me, you're going to need to paint it. At very least, your going to need to clear coat it, but I don't think it'll look all that good. I have most of my pieces painted, and the difference is amazing. I'll get some pics up soon.

you're going to need to paint it. I'm just about done with my ATA build, and trust me, you're going to need to paint it. At very least, your going to need to clear coat it, but I don't think it'll look all that good. I have most of my pieces painted, and the difference is amazing. I'll get some pics up soon.

yeah I came to that conclusion earlier today. I want to take more pics but every time Im working on it, it totally slips my mind. last thing I did was trim out the eyes and teeth of the bucket.

I made a mistake and cut out the 5th hole on each side....ok so thats two mistakes so far, Im keeping a tally. Anyone have any good ideas on how to repair it? My dad and I came up with the idea of gluing some bits of plastic on the back and filling the hole with caulk.

More questions!

How would I reinforce the plastic, the eye sockets are a bit shabby and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Im going to hopefully get the face attached to the back cap tomorrow I'll try and remember to take pics.

re-enforce with super glue and strips of tee shirt. do it outside, and use tweezers. the vapors will kill ya, and it gets hot as all get out. to fix a mistake, I used testers model glue and some trimmed off plastic. the model glue will melt the plastic, so get a piece, trim it to fit the hole you cut out, and use a little bit of model glue to melt the new piece back in place. practice on something else first, but with a little practice, you should be able to repair just about anything you do wrong. Also, for something like teeth, or facial mistakes, look into getting some epoxy putty, it's 2 part, and dries hard as rock.

Small update.

Haven't gotten the new set of ears yet but looks good I think. Lighting's making it look yellow.

Picture005.jpg

Does it look like I need to trim the bottom of the back cap?

Picture004.jpg

Im not to worried about the gap, the ears should cover it up and Im also going to glue some extra HIPS back there. And the hole on the side of the face plate will also get fixed.

Picture003.jpg

I might need to sad down the teeth a bit more but I like it so far.

Comments?

Question:

I'm probibly going to start on the actual armor today. From my weak test fits of me just holding the thigh prices togeter I might need to trim. How/where would I trim? I'm afraid I might need to trim alot.

yeah I tilted it forward a bit and it looked better.

So I did the test fitting and marked where I need to trim......I'm really REALLY skinny so I have to do quite a bit of it. Foam will probably be my best friend in the coming weeks.

Looking good!

I just started my armor and bucket, I would like to suggest using curved lexan scissors for trimming. They have been working great for me, I think your hands get sore either way. I have marked my trim lines and cut outside of that to allow me to fine tune the trimming, so that i don't overdo it. The body armor pieces I trimmed at or near the line and then used dremmel sanding wheel and hand sanding.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work B)

Christaan

I agree with using curved lexan scissors I found some at a small hobby store the next city over.

Building this seems like its going so slow. usually every other day I get to work on it for only about 2 hours. Just finished sanding the edges of my armor today.

oh well gives me a chance to look at stuff on here and make sound choices on how/what to do next. Sorry for the lack of pics, just nothing really to show yet :(

Eric, the important thing is, don't rush your armour build.....so what if you can only spend a couple of hrs on it a day... just take your time coz once you trim it, you can't get it back.... so trim a little, test fit, trim a little more.... and so on... and has a previous member said, using masking tape to put the armour together and test fit it....

Eric, the important thing is, don't rush your armour build.....so what if you can only spend a couple of hrs on it a day... just take your time coz once you trim it, you can't get it back.... so trim a little, test fit, trim a little more.... and so on... and has a previous member said, using masking tape to put the armour together and test fit it....

Those are some wise words...

On my last TK, I let my enthusiasm get the better of me and slopped through things I later came to regret. (Hence the purchase of another set of armor... pppfffft)

He's spot on-- you can always trim a little more, but you can't put stuff back.

I have the patience and attention span of a gnat, so I struggle with it a bit, but I'm telling you, Shiv's giving us great advice.

one step closer lol.

comments and suggestions please.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab72/Ki.../Picture006.jpg

Picture006.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab72/Ki.../Picture007.jpg

Picture007.jpg

as far as the armor goes, I glued and put velcro on one of the shin parts and it fits really nice lol!

now I see everything coming together and its really exciting!

Just a question on sanding and polishing:

since this is going to bea TD I don't want to paint, I was told to sand and then polish. I wanted to use t-cut color polish white however it's not available in the states. Does anyone know of a polish that's just as good that I can buy in the US?