FISD Service Medal

TK:TK

To scratch a creative itch, I used Photoshop to create a possible digital FISD Service Medal.

Perhaps, if reduced down enough (about the size of an infant's fingernail), it could be displayed under the bearer's name.

But if there's going to be a medal, today's militaries want a ribbon version too. So with a little more Photoshop magic, I created a ribbon.

(I see the militaries' point: a ribbon is a whole lot more space-efficient than an actual medal, and it doesn't flop around and get in the way either.)

My extensive internet research of military medals (about 15 minutes), yielded a lot of different color combinations. However, I didn't see any that were maroon and gold, so a bit by default, that's what I came up with.

Paul (Daetrin) suggested that I run this by everyone to get input to see if: 1) this medal looks too much like an existing one 2) if there's any color combination that might have special meaning to TKs and the Empire.

So, let me know what you think. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

post-356-1250908472_thumb.jpg

post-356-1250908494_thumb.jpg

Intresting!!!!

i was just wondering about the colors.... any razon to go with the ones u did? or is that what u ment "by defualt" :)

i would suggest to used blue and gold to keep up with color beening used in patches,rickets etc etc!!!!

Very cool!!!!

One more question: what are the blue bars with a mg-34 over our names ??? arent these Ribbons?

Actually it's neat to have a non blue/white scheme. Next step - oak leaves for multiple awards :)

Next step - oak leaves for multiple awards :)

I dont follow.....?

TK-2126_MD said:
Next step - oak leaves for multiple awards :)

I dont follow.....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_leaf_cluster 150px-Bronze_oakleaf-3d.svg.png

A bronze oak leaf cluster is worn to denote award of the second and subsequent awards of the same decoration.

A silver oak leaf cluster is worn instead of five bronze oak leaf clusters.

For instance I'd put one on my Army Achievement Medal when I got a second one.

Alternatively there are service stars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star220px-Silver_and_Bronze_Service_Stars.PN

A service star, also referred to as a battle star, campaign star, or engagement star, is an attachment to a military decoration which denotes participation in military campaigns or multiple bestowals of the same award. Service stars are typically issued for campaign medals, service medals, ribbon awards, and certain military badges. Service stars are different from award stars, which are issued for multiple awards of meritorious and combat decorations.

For instance, my Dad had two (or three, I can't recall exactly) service stars on his southwest pacific ribbon from WWII, as he was in several engagements in that campaign.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_leaf_cluster

For instance I'd put one on my Army Achievement Medal when I got a second one.

Alternatively there are service stars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star

For instance, my Dad had two (or three, I can't recall exactly) service stars on his southwest pacific ribbon from WWII, as he was in several engagements in that campaign.

Got`cha!!!! Gracias

I just discovered that I've been awarded with one FISD service medal and I'm flattered!

Thank you guys! Can I ask for what precisely? ;p

For the blaster build you did - it opened up a lot of people's minds to what could be achieved and set a new bar in what was possible.

I just discovered that I've been awarded with one FISD service medal and I'm flattered!

Thank you guys! Can I ask for what precisely? ;p

Well thats a first!!! Never met a humble Italian!!!! :D

Iam joking!!! like Paul said it was mind blowing what u did!!!! I never formally thx u for naming me in your Video!!!! Thx!

Great comments and suggestions. Thank you!

Joey (TK-2126 MD): interesting questioning about the Expert Infantry designation. My first thought is that they are not ribbons because they have text and an image, and don't quite work as the visual shorthand of a military ribbon. But asking the question begets another question.... should "Expert Infantry" be codified as a medal? Paul????.....

Martin (tatooine): I see the similarity, but the National Defense Service Medal has two thin blue stripes. Is the distinction too fine? Let me tool around with some extra elements and create something more unique.

Richard (Dargas): Interesting idea. It would help tie in with other FISD elements, but it seems that overwhelmingly military medals are all stripes and patterns.

Paul (Daetrin): I'm digging the idea of oak leaves. I'll generate some....

Manny (TK 6918): Hmmmmmmm..... that could be kind of cool. Let me create a grey/black version. Since we'll use oak leaves to denote multiple awards, I'll try the cog as a titanium-grey-black thing.

Pablo (TKDUENO): Congratulations. The blaster is great!

Give me a few days to generate some revisions....

Expert Infantry is not a medal at all, it's a badge. See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_Infantryman_Badge250px-Expert_Infantry_Badge.svg.png

Edited by gmrhodes13

For the blaster build you did - it opened up a lot of people's minds to what could be achieved and set a new bar in what was possible.

Thank you guys, I'm honored!!!!! :D

Here is the latest from Kevin (who is not able to post more pix)

Here are some revised versions.

I thought the grey & white idea was interesting. I carefully created greys in Photoshop, turned the Imperial cog into something metalesque, but at the end of the day it just looked as though I had switched the file to greyscale in Photoshop. A little underwhelming...

To increase the distinction between the FISD medal and the National Defense Service Medal, I added a purple stripe in the center. Hopefully that will do the trick. I think the ribbon version works better....

Do these work? Do we have a few keepers, or is it back to the drawing board?

FISD_ribbon_1.jpg

FISD_medal_red_yellow_1.jpg

The downside of a diagonal is that it doesn't lend itself well to a ribbon version. I think works really well:

Objections? Other suggestions?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Daetrin said:

The downside of a diagonal is that it doesn't lend itself well to a ribbon version. I think works really well:

Objections? Other suggestions?

Where do we get maroon again? Why not Blue and white with Gold... Or did I miss a memo... :P:huh:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

The maroon goes with the Emperor's "winter" complexion.

OK, maybe not. Nothing would....

The maroon is a bit arbitrary, but there are several important rationalizations.

1. In order to be an award of distinction, it should visually break away from the usual suspects of blue, white, and gold.

2. The medal/ribbon should not resemble an actual, existing medal. Given the wide array of colors and pairing used in actual military medals, this was kind of a tough needle to thread.

3. Back to the Emperor, his Imperial Royal guards are all decked out in red. It's plausible to think that if there were a scale of color/loyalty, red/maroon would be pretty high up.

That's my $0.02.

The maroon goes with the Emperor's "winter" complexion.

OK, maybe not. Nothing would....

The maroon is a bit arbitrary, but there are several important rationalizations.

1. In order to be an award of distinction, it should visually break away from the usual suspects of blue, white, and gold.

2. The medal/ribbon should not resemble an actual, existing medal. Given the wide array of colors and pairing used in actual military medals, this was kind of a tough needle to thread.

3. Back to the Emperor, his Imperial Royal guards are all decked out in red. It's plausible to think that if there were a scale of color/loyalty, red/maroon would be pretty high up.

That's my $0.02.

Ahhhh welll with that back story its easier to swallow..... ill buy that. ( not crazy with the color) but the story fits.

Don't mean to crumble biscuit into the carpet. I love the concept and still think it's special with greys and blues. :)

FISD_medal_grey-white-blue_silver.png.93eea96495402b0861078af16a5676d1.pngFISD_ribbon_grey-white-blue_silver.png.0022eb3092133fa58772ea1b18db7704.png

Edited by gmrhodes13