Dr Martens Boots for Trooping?

Hi! I'm new to the board and this is actually my first post. I'm putting together a ANH costume, have the armor on the way, and a blaster, and now I just have boots and gloves left.

I've seen the posts about Caboots, but I was wondering if these would work as well:

post-9816-1249618470_thumb.jpg

They are Dr Martens "Patrick" boots. Found them on their website.

Would I have have to paint the soles black to get a screen accurate ANH look? Dr Martens are good boots (had a few "goth" friends in high school back in the day who swore by them ) and at $110 not too expensive if they will last and last.

Thanks!

I'd be worried about the color white I saw on some online stores. Also seems that they are a ladies boot.

----------

But if the color really is white, and you make the sole black it should be an acceptable boot. They even class it a Chelsea boot.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I think they'd be fine for 501st acceptance but it's a hard call. Not for EIB, though I guess we don't say there, huh?

Mainly it's due to the sole. I think if you painted it black it may work. For $110 though you could get a pair of black johdpur boots and have a cobbler paint them white.

But it would be cool to troop with Martens..... good for kicking ewoks and other vermin!!!!

Dan dont forget to go to the new members area and say hello, tell us a little about your self, what makes u tick, dog person stuff like that :D

SuperTrooper said:

Also seems that they are a ladies boot.

------

As with alot of Dr Martens, they are supposed to be unisex........

There is a Dr Martens specialty store near me, I was gonna try to go this weekend and check to see if they had them, and if not see if they have a better idea about the color.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Turpulus said:
Hi! I'm new to the board and this is actually my first post. I'm putting together a ANH costume, have the armor on the way, and a blaster, and now I just have boots and gloves left.

I've seen the posts about Caboots, but I was wondering if these would work as well:

post-9816-1249618470_thumb.jpg

They are Dr Martens "Patrick" boots. Found them on their website.

Would I have have to paint the soles black to get a screen accurate ANH look? Dr Martens are good boots (had a few "goth" friends in high school back in the day who swore by them ) and at $110 not too expensive if they will last and last.

Thanks!

Cheaper here ---------f they have your size.

I looked at them too (search function is helpful... I asked the same question back in May)

I ended up with some darkside trooper boots, used off of ebay.

if you do get them, post up some pics!

CAboots has a decorative stitch down the front, and it is still allowed. I am not clear why this Doc Marten would not be ok, if the sole was colored black.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I think ROTJ boots should be ankle high Chelsea/Jodhpur black riding boots with large U-shaped elastic, painted white (with black sole), Chelsea white boots with black soles (CAboots) or white Elvis boots (zipper instead of elastic) with tan sole... (for EIB, that's it.)

But the requirements just say "Stormtrooper boots".

This are Elvis boots:

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Dmian said:
I think ROTJ boots should be ankle high Chelsea/Jodhpur black riding boots with large U-shaped elastic, painted white (with black sole), Chelsea white boots with black soles (CAboots) or white Elvis boots (zipper instead of elastic) with tan sole... (for EIB, that's it.)

But the requirements just say "Stormtrooper boots".

This are Elvis boots:

---------

Those boots I've never seen in any of my screen caps. Is that a tour suit?

I have seen the boots that look like the standard "stormtrooper boots". i.e. Jodphur etc. Just like the above Docs.

In the Endor scene when they are dragging Solo out of the bunker, the TK's on the left are definitely wearing the Jods with white soles. At least on the side. Not black sole-sides like those ANH TK's. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

JSmails said:
Those boots I've never seen in any of my screen caps. Is that a tour suit?

I have seen the boots that look like the standard "stormtrooper boots". i.e. Jodphur etc. Just like the above Docs.

In the Endor scene when they are dragging Solo out of the bunker, the TK's on the left are definitely wearing the Jods with white soles. At least on the side. Not black sole-sides like those ANH TK's. :D

I guess the picture was taken from some kind of tour suit, but the tan sole boots, according to TK-300, are used in the Endor scenes:

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

LOL some picture! We're quite far gone as we're looking at a guy tumbling over and all we're interested in are the colors of his soles.

Being a Star Wars geek rocks! :D

This hobby totally ruins the movies for you... :P:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It's a real good question, though... do these Doc Marten's work for an RoTJ stormtrooper? By and large, they look right. And considering the brand they ought to hold up well.

I would also consider the size of the ankle part of the boot, bear in mind it has to fit under the armour, Caboots look to be much narrower in that department than the DMs. It would be a shame to invest so much only to find they are not practical. I did this with a pair of Chelsea boots I intended to dye, I tried them and they were way to big to sit under the calf armour comfortably, fortunately they are nice boots so I just wear them as regular boots I'm not sure white DMs would work for regular daywear though. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still really liking these Dr. Martens as a RoTJ alternative. The big difference between these and screen-used boots, though, is the additional stitching on the boots. It's been noted, though, that CaBoots have a bit of additional stitching as well.

Has there been an answer as to whether these Dr. Martens are EIB acceptable for an RoTJ stormtrooper?

As an additional note, I've only ever found these boots in a maximum men's size of UK 9, USA 10.

I have recently e-mailed Dr. Martens to see if these boots have ever been made in a larger size. I'll post any response I get here.

I didn't think of myself as a Bigfoot with size 11s and I'm a bit surprised to have not found these boots in my size.

Zappos had my size (13US) as of my writing above. When I went to buy them today, gonzo. So, yes, these Doc's did come in big foot sizes too.

I'm sure they've been discontinued, thus the closeout prices at Zappos etc.

Saddened by this, someone is reselling what look to be Caboots on Ebay for $60 + $8 shipping. Being it's a buy-it-now, I hopped on my Live/Bing.com cashback account, searched Stormtrooper boots, then hit the auction on Ebay getting 8% cashback ($4.80) and $1.20 in ebay bucks.

Caboots delivered for about $62 all told? Sweet.

Now I'll just have to wait for them to arrive and figure out a GOOD way to whiten the black side sole. I'm sure spray-painting will be the most screen-accurate way to do it.

Anyone have an idea what paint would stick well to the side of a Caboot sole?

Thanks.

You're right, these were made in larger sizes.

I actually found a pair of these in my size a short while earlier today. I found them online in a UK store.

I had to laugh when I found out that they won't ship internationally, though. So the search continues.

Don't know whether it would help but if you shipped them to me I will always forward them to you, I'm not sure what it would cost but would be happy to do it for you.

Thank you for the offer.

I heard back from the Dr. Martens web site in regards to these boots in my size. I was told that they were going to get a few pairs of these boots in stock in my UK size 10.

They showed up in stock a short while earlier today and so I bought a pair in my size immediately.

If anyone wants a pair of these in the U.S. they're available up to a UK size 13.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed