belt

In processing my application for 501st, the GML is on the fence as to whether approve my leather belt. I made it from a 3 inch wide strip from Tandy Leather, dyed it white. simlar to what TK409 described here http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html

picture of mine:

oV0Suxq.jpg

I am not trying to apply for Elite status, just complete my first armor set to join the 501st. I understand it is not acceptable for Elite, nor actually screen accurate. I don't have the sewing skills to make a canvas one, and I really wanted to do this myself from scratch. I think the leather looks better than the ABS strips to make the belt, which interestingly are still allowed for 501st?

From the GML:

"do me a favor and make a post asking people's option about it on whitearmor. then send me a link and we will both see what they think. I will allow this discussion to sway me, but normally I would say leather is not allowed."

SO - what do you all think. Please be honest, I really don't mind getting a canvas one on one of the runs here ( or putting my wife's sewing skills to the test)

Other than that, I think I am almost set to be approved!

OK everyone, no need to be mean... I am Derek's GML.

I know the movies are using Canvas, and while some think the leather is better than plastic, I have not seen any approved TK's with leather belts myself. Hence this request.

Thanks for helping this trooper out!

My belt is exactly the same as yours. However mine velcroes together behind the ABS belt in the front therefore no seams. You might try that.

I like that idea! It is hard to fasten behind my back in armor! (hence the misalignment in the picture)

Derek

I have not seen any approved TK's with leather belts myself. Hence this request.

Mine is leather

I've been approved with it since Dec 2004.

The Leather belt has been good enough for;

"Epic Movie"

"Bones"

"Deal or no Deal"

The Rose Parade

several spots on G4TV

and even this guy didn't seem to mind

georgielittle1.jpg

Leather has been accepted for 501st standards for quite some time - I sure got mine OK'd in 2005 IIRC.

I'm not sure GL is a good judge of TK's - he seems to not be overly picky in that regard. To wit, he licenses the Rubies line just fine...

Hey when you get a moment stop by at the UKG, leather belts are very popular ;)

:duim:

Now don't you get me started you two!!! :lol:

If you connect it in front you might want to cut the length some. Mine has about 5 inches which is connected to the ABS belt on one side. Then it wraps around the back and about 5 more inches go behind the ABS belt on the other side and velcroes to it again. I covered the entire inside part of the ABS belt with the fuzzy part of the industrial velcro. I hoped that would add a little strength to the ABS belt for bending purposes....If that makes any sense.