My ANH to ROTJ build[*TE]

So here is the story,

I managed to grab a second hand TE2 from another person who didnt have time for the hobby any more for an amazing bargain, i mean freaken rediculously cheap. He had allready trimmed and assembled it and had painted it though not up to my quality but salvagable.

SOOOO ive decided to turn it into a ROTJ elite suit. Unfortunatly this is alot of work. Especially in the leg area which was too small for me as assembled (my legs are to muscular :D )

Basically i took the suit apart with a chisel knife, going underneath all of the glued pieces and cutting them loose. Im almost done with this but let me tell you it was one the the scariest experinces ever trying to cut two pieces of glued styrene apart i almost ruined the armor and killed myself multiple times but i was succesful.

Over the next week i will try to provide updates and pics as to my progress and welcome feedback.

back to the heatgun i suppose...

I used the heat gun to pinch the shoulders but the edging at the bottom and the swoops got a little bent in the process which i will fix next.

Basically i pinched them then used masking tape to hold them in the shape while i heated them up with the gun then tossed them in the freezer to quickly cool.

IMG_9370.jpg

im not quite sure if they are pinched enough..

WOW!! This is going to be an amazing project. Only one other person before has ever done an ROTJ Expert Infantryman (Bernard, some years ago).

It's not for the faint of heart, but it looks like you are already on the right track. Man, this is one thread I'll be watching with determination.

Im working on a ROTJ EIB trooper as well. I think the clone needs to get finished before I finish the ROTJ project though. Can't wait to see you progress Jonathan. :D

Ok i took the pinching of the bells a little bit further and got a perfect shape which matches the film version pretty well. I tried to go for the flat on one side and round on the other look at the top.

IMG_9372.jpg

bridges.jpg

the lip at the bottom is squished because...well thats what happens when you squease something. Im either going ot have to try to heat and and move it back (difficult) or just cut it off which isnt that big of a deal since ROTJ troopers didnt have that much of a lip on them anyways.

now i just gotta get rid of the swoops. Its hard because the plastic is allready stretched and its easy to stretch plastic and not so easy to squish it back so im going to fill the back with bondo and grind it down till i have the right shape and the swoop is gone.

Ill post pics when im done.

Ok i got an update with lots of photos of my progress. After a lazy 4th of July which ironically i spent playing the British Campaign in Empire Total War, ive resumed my work on the ROTJ armor.

I apologise for the clutter i work in the side of the garage which is a bit cramped <_<

So here are the shoulders, almost dont just need to do a little more filler work then bend back the lip. Ive just been trying to get rid of the swoops to fully ROTJ them.

IMG_9373.jpg

The finished legs minus the knee plates and box attachments. I know they are suppsoe to overlap instead of splint in the front but they wouldnt fit me if i did so i had to keep the splint but it prevented me from having to use ugly shims in the back.

IMG_9374.jpg

The torso stuff not much to show other then i reversed the ab buttons and im going to putty in the sides so it looks like it was molded into the armor instead of glued on like in ROTJ.

IMG_9375.jpg

The but and kidney plate reattachment. This is the saddest part for me since i never really likes one piece but we all must make sacrifices. Im just trying to get the seams to match at this point so they are just being held by the blue tape at the moment.

IMG_9378.jpg

Some of the arms. Since these were a bit wider i was able to go full overlap ROTJ style on them. One of the biceps is a little tight but its not too big of a problem though i might be able to wear them without any strap support.

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9377.jpg

so just wanted to share, ill be back with more later this week.

Wow - you are going full boat on this - way beyond what is called for but I believe you'll be creating a new bar for this version of the costume.

big :duim:

So here is a test of the edge trim i got. I could only get it in black at the local autozone but at 18' for $10 im not going to complain. I painted it quickly by sanding it and coating it with primer then two coats of semi-gloss just to see if it would bend and flex without cracking the paint. Luckily the paint held and flexed with it. Im going to paint the trim seperate from the suit because it has a tack in it thet lets you stick it on and pull it back off with ease so i can switch it out down the line if I want to.

The size is 3/8" though im wondering if 1/2" would be better. Here are some test fitting pics side by side with a screen cap let me know what you think.

IMG_9381.jpg

IMG_9382.jpg

vlcsnap-55435.jpg

Im in the final stretch now. It will be rdy to paint tommorow and i hope to get it painted this weekend after i finish up the helmet which aside from some work on the o2 canister and shoulders is the last of the project before painting. Im probably more excited than you are at this moment to see the finished product since i have no clue how it will look all together but im hoping it will be as ROTJ as possible.

I finished filling and sanding the ab plates gaps to the details look molded in instead of just glued on. I also finished the filling and sanding of the shoulders to get rid of the swoops for the most part.

IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

wish me luck on the painting, its allways the hardest yet most rewarding part. Essentially the trench run of finishing a costume.

wish me luck on the painting, its allways the hardest yet most rewarding part. Essentially the trench run of finishing a costume.

Great job thus far!

What paint are you using to paint the ab plate, armor and such?

If you need any ROTJ reference pics, I can email you a ton of screen grabs if need be.

Great job thus far!

What paint are you using to paint the ab plate, armor and such?

If you need any ROTJ reference pics, I can email you a ton of screen grabs if need be.

Thanks all

Im using the local favorite Pro Enamel from Rustoleum.

I think im good for screen grabs but thanks. Ive found alot online and ive been using my dvd copy from my computer to pause and look. Doing this ive found quite a few troopers dont have the o2 tanks on their belt. wonder if that was intentional?

So I began painting today at 2:30PST and finished at about 7:30PST because it was getting too dark and the insect fleets were starting their takeoff procedures. However at 25 min a piece ive only completed about half of the suit <_< .

Everything has been going well so far ive only had a couple drips mainly my fault but nothing that my endor weathering wont conceal.

I started with a coat of rustoleum painters touch white primer then waited five minutes and applied 3 coats of rustoleum pro enamel each about 5 minutes apart as mike has advised. No wet sanding or breaks just straight 4 coats five minutes apart.

Some pics of things ive done so far. i apologise for the darkness this is in my garage which is now sealed tight to prevent the little insectoid monsters from attacking my paint job. While I was painting i had one land in the paint but then was able to escape and my next coat covered his tracks. whew..

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

My index finger is about to fall off but i will be finishing tommorow...hopefully