film questions

kiyotei

In the original release of ANH is the term "Clone Wars" used by Obi Wan when he tells Luke about his father? I don't have a copy of the original release of ANH so I can't check it. I do know that in the edited version Lucas released later on he does refer to the Clone Wars.

I do believe that while Obi Wan simply aludes to the time period when he knew Luke's father, Anakin Skywalker, as "before the dark times; before the Empire", Luke picks up on the allusion and attempts to confirm by asking, "You fought in the Clone Wars?"

If I'm not mistaken this reference to The Clone Wars has been intact ever since the 70's theatrical release.

I recall as a 9 yr old and for many years after that wondering, "what in the world could the 'clone war' be?" Until AOTC's release that is... ;)

It goes back to some of the first script drafts.

LUKE

You're General Kenobi?!? The Jedi

knight! The commander of the White

Legions?

BEN

I'm afraid it's been a long time

since the White Legions roamed the

stars. But I have the memories.

Luke drops to his knees and bows before the old Jedi.

LUKE

I should have recognized you.

The old man rubs his beard in wonder.

BEN

I don't see why. I don't believe

we've ever met.

LUKE

I am the son of Annikin Starkiller.

The scruffy old Jedi smiles at the kneeling boy.

BEN

I know who you are. Stand up so

that we can talk properly. You're

embarrassing me. I'm not that

important.

LUKE

But you are... I know your 'Diary

of the Clone Wars' by heart. My

father...

that's good to know. I wasn't sure I was recalling it correctly from my childhood. I do recall wondering what the "colonial" wars were. That was what I thought he said. But after so many years I wasn't sure I inserted that thought after seeing the edited release of ANH.

I've always wondered in this scene if Obi-Wan says, when talking to Luke about Anakin, "And he was a good friend" or "Ani was a good friend"

Nice one I hadn't thought of that before.

I've always wondered in this scene if Obi-Wan says, when talking to Luke about Anakin, "And he was a good friend" or "Ani was a good friend"

I think he said "and he", not Ani. I can't see him saying Ani. Did he ever refer to Anakin that way in the prequels?

I would have referred to him as Anney the Whiney Emo Kid if I were Obi Wan... as in:

"You were The Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force; not leave it in darkness... Anney, you Whiney Emo Kid!" ;)

For confirmation of this you can check here:

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/scripts/the...h_draft_jan.htm

This site has all revisions of all the scripts.

BEN

That's what your uncle told you.

He didn't hold with your father's

ideals. Thought he should have

stayed here and not gotten involved.

LUKE

You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN

Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight

the same as your father.

LUKE

I wish I'd known him.

BEN

He was the best star-pilot in

the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.

I understand you've become quite

a good pilot yourself. And he was

a good friend. Which reminds me...

Thought I might throw this one in here, sorry if I'm derailing your thread ;)

I have a couple things to say/ask about ESB....

I was watching the original release about 2 weeks ago and a couple things had me intrigued, The first thing I actually figured out myself (who's a clever boy!) and that is..... Why does Darth Vader and Boba fett torture Han for no reason? "Han: They didn't even ask me any questions" this has always had me confused but never figured it out until now! Vader tortures Han so Luke feels his pain through the Force and knows his friends are in trouble! OMG it's taken me 30 years to works that out :P

now the one that still has me confused and I'm sure it's related to the above comment I made but here goes.... just before Han gets frozen in carbonite, Chewie gets made and knocks 2 TK's off the platform, Boba Fett raises his gun to shoot Chewie but Vader stops Boba, therefore saving Chewies life!!?

Why would Vader save the life of a beast that attacked 2 of his own men? I cannot make sense of this for the life of me! :(

I'm gonna go with...after the first shot fired by Boba the rest of the stormtroopers would chime in with their blasters and the ensuing firefight could kill Leia, Chewie and 3PO. Then Luke would have no one left to try to rescue and spoil the bait for Vaders trap. But then again he could just have a soft spot for wookies.

It's also possible that with all that equipment in close proximity he didn't want stray blaster shots ruining his plans. Maybe he also had a soft spot for protocol droids? Chewie WAS carrying 3P0...

This is true, and not to mention Vader built 3PO as a child. One thing that always bugged me about the trilogy and the prequels is that Kenobi and Vader had no recognition of R2 and 3PO.

My guess is that these are common droid types and thus not really distinguishable. One is an astromech which seem quite common, the other a protocol droid which we see over and over again. Both got quite beaten up over time and 3PO was wiped - at that point he was a different droid really.

I hate how the updated orginals have the holo-images of the "new" emperor...its been a long time since Ive seen the original originals so i cant quite recall how he looked.

also I always wondered since EP 1 came out if the actor who plays the emperor is the same as in the originals.

Ian McDiarmid played the emperor in 1-3 and 6.

He was edited into 5SE but the original used Clive Revill for the voice and had some special effect compositing of a chimpanzee and an old woman for the face.

This is true, and not to mention Vader built 3PO as a child. One thing that always bugged me about the trilogy and the prequels is that Kenobi and Vader had no recognition of R2 and 3PO.

Kenobi could have been a little senile. I would imagine living in the desert by yourself for 15 years could make you a bit loopy. You know those crazy old wizards...

I know 3PO had a memory wipe and that explains alot, but still he should have been recognizable. How many gold plated protocol droids could there have been. I can see R2 getting overlooked tho.

I know 3PO had a memory wipe and that explains alot, but still he should have been recognizable. How many gold plated protocol droids could there have been. I can see R2 getting overlooked tho.

There was an acclaimed expanded universe comic in an issue of Star Wars Tales a few years back, that addresses Vader recognizing C-3PO on cloud city. I really like this comic, actually. Here is a page:

Thank_the_Maker.jpg

More info can be found here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thank_the_Maker!