Staying loged in

SuperTrooper

Hi Adrian,

V'Pier or Army Scout could say for sure, but my guess is it knows who you are from a cookie. That's different from being logged in, which then issues a different secure session cookie. Like when you go Amazon and it knows who you are, but you have to sign in to buy anything.

May be helpful to know your OS/Browser combo and your cache/security settings. My bandwidth is limited right now, but either of them may have the answer.

Paul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most forums don't show a person as gone untill they have been inactive for 10-15 minutes. It's the forum tracking users, not your computer or any security concern.

Update: Hopefully I've gotten rid of the bug that was causing my internet browser to act up. I haven't had any problems over the last 24 hrs, so we'll see if it lasts. Now when I log out, it shows that I'm logged out immediately. I'd never had that problem before where it wouldn't show that I was logged out, so it was certainly not a good sign when it happened.

As far as staying logged in, I was always under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to save any passwords to your hd, because it's easier for that info to get stolen. I never check the box that says remember me and or my password, I just don't trust it. Maybe that's just me.

If I'm not mistaken when you "log in automatically" the password is not saved to your HD, instead the site saves your IP address and logs you in when it sees that IP.

Even worse, I just don't allow any personal info to be saved if I can help it ya know. I do know that my browser has the ability to store private info as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest problem is that I have to erace the words "user name" and a bunch of dots in the password area every time. If I just click out, and then right back in again on the site I have to re log in. Nowhere is there an icon to save passwords.

BUMP

Found a problem with my web browser, got 'er fixed!

Have the same issue, mind sharing that recipe?

Sure. Having AOL, I had to go in and delete the temporary Internet cookies and this forum from my favorites. Then just logged back in. Had to redo passwords for other sites too but so far all is as it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, clearing out your private data/temp internet folder/cache will always be a route to go when troubleshooting these types of things. There was a time when firefox was a pretty solid browser, however nowadays, I'm not so sure about that. I've gone as far as to uninstall and reinstall my browsers to eliminate any lingering corrupt files, and it actually helped most of the time when it was an issue. The glitch I was having with my New Messages link was also corrected after archiving and deleting all my PMs and receiving a new PM. Everything seems to be all square now thankfully. B)

Even worse, I just don't allow any personal info to be saved if I can help it ya know. I do know that my browser has the ability to store private info as well.

It is actually done by your browser. There is a password security file that saves all this data. I am not sure how it works in IE, but in the Security tab for Firefox, there is an option where you can clear all privacy data, or you can view it.

Click Tools-->Options-->Security-->Show Passwords

Click view and it will show you a window with every web site your browser has log in information about. On the bottom of the window, there is a button to show passwords. It will ask you if you are sure, but if you click yes, you will see every login name and password, and the associated web sites it is used for.

Now if you are the only person who uses this PC, this might not be a big deal. If it is shared, it might be a bigger issue.

Just thought I would chime in and try to answer a technical question. I work in IT, so these things are easier for me than say, building a vacu-form table.

:trooper:

its still happens to me at random intervals...no other forums, no other websites...just this one

What browser are you using? Not sure if that will help, but always good to know exactly what is in place before troubleshooting.

BTW, I also have that issue, and it usually is once every few days. I have a bookmark that goes to the latest posts, and once every few days I need to log in. Might be a combination of a few items, but it would be good to know either the why, and/or if it can be corrected.

:trooper:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...