FX vs AP Helmet Question

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while. I found the 501st while looking for resources for a TI and have now decided that I'd like to go the TK route instead. I'm looking at an FX kit, but I am wondering if I should go with the FX lite and source another helmet. From the pictures on here I think I would be looking at an AP (the smallest of the major options right?), but I wanted to get some info on pricing. I know we probably can't have prices out in the open so I am looking for an estimate here. The FX lite would save me around $200 over the full FX kit. Is this enough to get me into an AP lid, or am I better off getting the full FX with helmet liner, holster, etc.? From what I've seen I don't mind the look of the FX bucket and as long as it's 501st acceptable that's what really matters. However if I can go more accurate for less or the same amount of money I'd like to do that...

Go for the FX lite and source out a different helmet. You'll be happier in the end.

I agree with that too! There's different buckets out there you can get besides AP if you're worried about a big enough size but don't want FX. Besides giving most people a bobble head look, I think it can sometimes give people a 'cartoonish' look. It reminds me of when you see Mickey Mouse at Disney World for the first time. It's like 'Whoa! You're bigger than I remember on the TV!' :o

But in the end, you have to go with what makes YOU happy! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe an AP second is something I should look into. I'm 6' about 180 with an athletic build but I don't have a big head so it looked like the AP might be right for me. Based on when I'll be buying the armor it will probably serve Halloween duty first and then trooping after that. Elite status is not something I'm really concerned with, I'd like to get a TK # and the FX armor price is what I'm comfortable with. I guess it's time to search for the helmet makers on here...

A lot of new troopers nowadays are opting for the FX-lite kit with the MRCE bucket. An MRCE is more accurate than the FX, costs less than an AP, they are readily available, and Legion-accepted.

Well, the MRCE is not quite Legion acceptable out of the box, as there are some alterations that need to be done first. It's not a bad alternative at all to the FX bucket if you're willing to put a little work into it.

With the AP, the only part that I'm not sure about are the aerators - they *might* have to be changed out. I don't know if they do or not because I didn't use the ones that came with my AP, as I put in a pair of Stomper's great Hovi-mics w/ speakers and wired up an in-helmet sound system.

I vote for AP too! It's a beautiful bucket. Easy to assemble, too, much easier than the FX. ;)

The strapping and holster you get with the regular FX kit isn't that good anyway, the holster is too sturdy for my taste, so you hardly get your blaster into it. The strapping is all velcro, while you want snaps most places.

Ah, ease of assembly is definitely something to think about. And the information about the holster is good, I was wondering if it was worth the "extras" in the FX kit and it seems like it's not. Do the MRCE helmets have more of a "hero" frown or am I just looking at the picture wrong? I like the look of the wider frown on the AP.