Obi-wan lied as much as the bloke in the Patty Loveless song:

You've got a thing or two to learn about me baby

'Cause I ain't taking it no more and I don't mean maybe

You don't know right from wrong

Well the love we had is gone

So blame it on your lying, cheating, cold deadbeating,

Two-timing, double dealing

Mean mistreating, loving heart

I went through a big country phase in the early 90's.

Let me guess that came to a screeching halt with the release of Garth Brooks' Life of Chris Gaines.

Ive never liked country, but if I did that would have done it for me too.

Actually I felt it had started to sound too much like rock and roll for my taste and got kind of bland. That said, the past few years there have been some tremendous country acts that have surfaced that I enjoy tremendously.

I'm not a fan of most contemporary country music-- it all sounds like bad '70s arena rock to me, with the addition of a pedal steel guitar and some twangy vocals. Like awful Foreigner songs with a couple lyrics about pickup trucks thrown in. Yuck.

I like the old stuff though -- Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr., George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc.

The only new-ish/contemporary guy I like is Junior Brown. That guy is a MONSTER pedal steel player. I highly recommend checkin' out a song called "Peelin' Taters". I defy anyone to be in a bad mood while listening to it. Can't be done.

I do like a lot of alt-country, though -- Wilco, Old 97's, stuff like that.

I grew up on outlaw country (Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., David Allen Coe) b/c that's what my dad listened to and I'll always have a soft spot for that stuff. I like other older stuff too like George Jones, Earl Thomas Conley, Conway Twitty, etc. I still love George Strait, Alabama, and other stuff from the 80's. I'm mostly a hard rock kinda guy nowadays though. For me, there's TOOL, then A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, then everything else! LOL

Dont get me wrong, Classic country is good.

Anything by the Highwaymen, either together or on their own is great. I like the rock feel of new country. It is feel good rock with a positive message.

Country is real music. The subject matter is about the normal man, rolling through life. Good stuff.

Two of the greatest groups of all time...

Highwaymen

Traveling Willburys

I'm not big on Country music nowadays. I only really like older country. Johnny Cash is, and will always be, The Man. Willie Nelson is pretty good. Mike Ness from Social Distortion put out a pair of solo albums that have a great rock-country-punk vibe to them.

I find I like more "western" than "country". The people I used to listen a lot to included David Ball, Lari White, Suzy Boguss, Deborah Allen, Chris Ledoux, Dwight Yokum, Sweathearts of the Rodeo, Pam Tillis, etc.

Country is real music. The subject matter is about the normal man, rolling through life. Good stuff.

I'm gonna have to disagree with ya, buddy. Country *USED* to be real music, about normal people.

Now it's about glamor and artifice, and is basically pop music with different instruments. The vast majority of popular country nowadays is performed by a bunch of beautiful dilettantes, posing as people who are somehow relate-able.

The songwriters who ghost-write their stuff *might* be salt-of-the-earth and hard-scrabble folks, but the performers are largely just subtle variations on acts like Brittany Spears and the Jonas Brothers.

Shania Twain and Faith Hill have very little, if nothing in common with Patsy Cline, or even Dolly Parton. (Other than fashion, maybe)

Can you see Kellie Pickler in an unemployment line?

Think Carrie Underwood would last two seconds as a Coal Miner's Daughter? Coal Miner's Wife? Coal Miner's Next Door Neighbor? Do you think she'd even *talk* to a coal miner?

I look at groups like Rascall Flatts, with their friggin' girl-hair and their $500 designer jeans and I want to rip my own arm off... just so I have something to throw at them. :D

Everytime they get on stage, it looks like a Hot Topic exploded. Say, "CHEEZE"! :D

The material may be about working-class life... but I'm just not buying it from a bunch of preening pop stars, my friend.

Fess up, Nathan --

Waylon Jennings would stomp the living CRAP out of Keith Urban, and you know it. :P :P :P

I do like the Traveling Wilbury's though. How can you not?-- SO much talent in one band!

PS-- can you tell I'm *mildly* opinionated about music? :lol:

Oh yea... Keith Urban is a wuss. Two songs. Where the Black top ends and Song for Dad. Thats it for him.

Well... I am not a huge fan of Rascal Flatts, Although I have met them. (Long story, but it involves beer and a tour bus...) and Female country is pretty much the pits. Dont listen to much of it. I like Terry Clarke. Twain just looks good in leopard skin. No better than Spears or that crowd.

I know a cookie cutter song when I hear it, and my old Fav Kenny Chesney is churning out crud here as of late.

I guess I really like the ones that stick out.

If you saw my CD Collection I am pretty Eclectic. I do mainly like country, but my 700 CDs span from DJ Jazzy Jeff to Type O Negative back around to Bach. I have played in many a band, heavy to gospel.

Music is what moves you. Lately that has been a newer rock based rowdy country for me. I like the message and I like the wording in some of these songs.

Yea, most don't write a lyric. I am in Japan, No CMT, so I don't get to look at them on TV. I just get to hear the music. I preview it on Itunes, then head out to buy it. If its cookie cutter anything from any type it stays on the shelf.

Save for AC/DC.

They just rock. :D

Hehe -- I don't even know why I'm given you a hard time... I don't even really like Country music that much. It's just fun to razz you. :P:D

My iPod's kind of all over the place too. Everything from Claude DeBussy to Iggy and The Stooges to Woody Guthrie to Radiohead, to Dieselboy, to The Pharcyde.

And yes-- AC/DC does indeed bring the rawk. :D

I like Flatt & Skruggs, Hank Williams (the original), Jerry Reed, Tom T Hall, and some Grampa Jones. I'm from Bakersfield California baby, home of Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. Hee Haw and all other things that are good! Like they say, "If you don't know me you won't like me.....say you care less how I feel. But how many of you who sit and judge me ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?" B)

Just when you thought good music was dead a bit of refreshment pops up, Jr. Brown is pretty good, and we have some local bands here that really kick it up.

I have to agree, the new stuff is vomit. I'm embarrassed for those freaks.

If you like AC/DC try "Hayseed Dixie". They've been guests on the Bob and Tom show and they play a bluegrass tribute to AC/DC songs. Freakin hilarious!