TheRascalKing's Heavy F-11D Build Thread [T5H]

I've had some parts drip, drip, drippin' over the last couple weeks... more to come soon.

ZBcyWwD.jpg

LLFBNVA.jpg

tbae9zU.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nairy said:

They look so smoooth :jc_doublethumbup::wub:

They are! I'm printing at 0.05 layer thickness with Anycubic ABS-like Resin Pro2 and they're really great. I'm seeing print times between 8-12hrs per batch and they only really need the marks from the supports sanded off, but not much more. Parts that can be are hollow/lattice inside to save weight and resin, but most are solid and have been able to be printed vertically or near it to minimize supports. I'm going to paint everything anyways so that it matches my suit more and isn't as affected by UV, but still nice to not need to post-process as much.

I can't believe people did these in FDM and sanded smooth. And it's incredible that so far everything, even for the giant Heavy version of the blaster, has fit on my print bed.

Black parts are up next!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

LKNx0tz.jpeg

First run of black parts - magazine and the main barrel tubes!

I recently purchased a second build plate for my machine as well, so I can have less downtime while cleaning in between prints, so hyped for that.

8 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Anycubic ABS-like Resin Pro2

Just got some of this in black for my build and have so far been very impressed. I tried to snap off the front sight pin and couldn’t with my hands. 

• Like 1

NPwA55M.png

All black and white pieces are done - just the silver left! The size of this thing is really becoming apparent when laid out.

I'll do the silver bits in grey resin and then spray them, but the general idea is that if a part scratches, the resin underneath is a similar color. I'll be spraying it the Behr Premium Satin Black and Gloss White I've used elsewhere on my suit.

• Like 1

That is huge! Any indication of weight?

How did you print the flat parts like the hengstler cover? I just printed mine flat to the bed and they have warped quite a lot.

Looking like this will be a great build.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 12:29 AM, themaninthesuitcase said:

That is huge! Any indication of weight?

How did you print the flat parts like the hengstler cover? I just printed mine flat to the bed and they have warped quite a lot.

Looking like this will be a great build.

It clocks in at about 4.5lbs or 2kg before hardware, electronics, paint, and assembly! About a pound of that is in the rear stock and central support pieces alone though, so there may be some opportunity to reprint those hollow or with better drainage. Still, it's called Heavy for a reason!

5RCdetY.png

I mostly print flat parts like the Hengstler cover near vertical, supported on the bottom edge but some small pieces straight onto the bed as well.

Wet sanding and paint will be the time consuming part but assembly should be fun! I plan on having lights but will be as simple and low tech as possible.

• Like 2