TK ANH Stunt by CloseTheBlastDoor

On 2/4/2024 at 10:19 AM, wingnut65 said:

Sometimes progress forward needs a step backwards.   I think your eye will tell you when the layout feels right.

BTW, as a woodworker, I love all your tools and jigs! Your skills will be very helpful for this whole TK build. You will get to your comfort zone before too long. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm a bit of a woodworker myself, too. Jigs help me consistently make the same mistake :laugh1:

• Like 2

Well, the temperature in my garage is in the 50’s (Fahrenheit), and will be for quite some time. I need to have it at about 70 so the Testors primer will perform properly. So unless I build a small temperature-controlled enclosure (which is somewhat of a possibility), I’m going to put painting the TD aside, and move on to the biceps. I’ve watched the PandaProps vids on YouTube:

Anywhere else I should be looking in this forum? Any caveats with matching up the outside halves with the inside halves? Which side is the one with the thumbprint, left, or right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Well, the temperature in my garage is in the 50’s (Fahrenheit), and will be for quite some time. I need to have it at about 70 so the Testors primer will perform properly. So unless I build a small temperature-controlled enclosure (which is somewhat of a possibility), I’m going to put painting the TD aside, and move on to the biceps. I’ve watched the PandaProps vids on YouTube:

Anywhere else I should be looking in this forum? Any caveats with matching up the outside halves with the inside halves? Which side is the one with the thumbprint, left, or right?

Or if you have a portable heater, I've used one of those in the past.

Some makes of armor have their own way of matching pieces. Thumbprint is worn on the left, FYI some makes don't have a thumbprint, others have one on either side ;) 

Try to keep to standard sizing of coverstrips:

15mm Forearms, biceps

20mm thighs front & back and front of shins

25mm rear of shins

A nice WTF build to follow

and here

I indeed have a WTF kit, but I'm on the other end of the high spectrum (5' 3") so I'm sure your build will come with its own unique set of challenges! I can see though you have a high attention to detail so I'm sure you won't have an issue getting your kit together. If you have any questions, just ask!

4 hours ago, shashachu said:

I indeed have a WTF kit, but I'm on the other end of the high spectrum (5' 3") so I'm sure your build will come with its own unique set of challenges! I can see though you have a high attention to detail so I'm sure you won't have an issue getting your kit together. If you have any questions, just ask!

Thank you, Sha Sha!

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Or if you have a portable heater, I've used one of those in the past.

Some makes of armor have their own way of matching pieces. Thumbprint is worn on the left, FYI some makes don't have a thumbprint, others have one on either side ;) 

Try to keep to standard sizing of coverstrips:

15mm Forearms, biceps

20mm thighs front & back and front of shins

25mm rear of shins

A nice WTF build to follow

and here

Thank you for the tip on the heater, and for the links!

• Like 1

Taking a good look at the bicep parts, I’m noticing a few things that I hope are not a big deal. For one, there’s a lot of lumpiness that I’m hoping will get mostly cut out. Are most kits like this, where they’re not too smooth?
TLFindM.jpg

Second, I see lots and lots of surface scratches because all of the parts were in one big box, and not really separately bagged or padded. So from the east coast to here in California, they were just rubbing against each other in transit. I took some Novus to the scratches, and got it looking a little better, but not completely back to pristine. That I had to do this in the first place is not terribly pleasing. I will need to do this for practically all of the parts. Maybe I’m being anal, because I’ve worked a lot with acrylic before, but I feel like this could have been avoided with a bit more conscientious packaging.

3CrgcII.jpg

Lexan shears are still en route, so I'm going to mark cut lines on the return edges while I wait.

Just cut all the return edge from the biceps. They'll be much more comfy under your arms that way. Flat plastic is where it's at for all arm armor.

And that looks like non-armor area with the waviness. I think it'll get cut out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

there’s a lot of lumpiness that I’m hoping will get mostly cut out. Are most kits like this, where they’re not too smooth?

I noticed that in multiple areas on my kit. Much of it was in areas that ended up being cut away as excess material. I can't tell exactly from the really close-up photo, but the one below it (showing the scratches) shows lumpiness in the excess that will be cut away if you remove all of the return edge.

• Like 1

I left some return edges as I have pretty skinny arms and it helps to give the full appearance. I have noticed on the WTK kits there are a few more bumps and lumps in places, normally where they aren't really seen so I wouldn't worry too much. Scratches may be because of transport and not individually wrapped. Wait until you see the underneath of your forearms after a few years trooping, you'll see lots of scratches, you tend to rub on other armor or even your blaster (and younglings heads :laugh1:)

• Like 1

FYI if you need to make any ABS paste acetone is used for that (some add between the bottom ridge on the thighs) ;) 

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpggallery_12157_15_1150.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

FYI if you need to make any ABS paste acetone is used for that (some add between the bottom ridge on the thighs) ;) 

Wow, I had no idea you could do that! I worked with acetone quite a bit in my last job. I am embarrassed to admit that I think it smells kinda good, haha. Could explain my behavior :wacko:

• Like 3

I trimmed away the excess plastic, and got to work on one of the biceps.
PpwyjwJ.jpg

Test fitting them shows quite a misalignment on one side. Seems like I would have to trim back a lot for it to line up:
12Xc0Ck.jpg

Because I haven’t gotten over my fear of overcutting the plastic, I trimmed out the round edges quite conservatively, and plan to sand and trim more as I go:

LgrTgpB.jpg

KGgLf1R.jpg

A few questions here. I tried a loose fitting on my arm, and I notice quite a gap between my arm and the outer bicep half on the top side:

GqhAlyB.jpg

YUUseFp.jpg

Is it supposed to be that way?

Related to this, there are raised ridges near where the bicep halves come together, am I meant to keep them parallel (brackets in red the same size)?

eLt8iX3.jpg

zNw7quA.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

I tried a loose fitting on my arm, and I notice quite a gap between my arm and the outer bicep half on the top side

That gap will be reduced as you do further fitting for the biceps. Ideally, those raised portions will be cut down to just wide enough to fit under the cover strip (any extra amount beyond that depends on the size of your bicep), so the ridges on those raised portions should be slightly beyond the edge of your cover strips. I had to go a couple of milimeters beyond due to the size of my biceps. You should end up with something like this immediately after gluing (I cut my cover strips longer than needed, so I trimmed off the excess once I was happy with how it all came together):

rLS77Jn.jpg

17 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Related to this, there are raised ridges near where the bicep halves come together, am I meant to keep them parallel (brackets in red the same size)?

Yes, as parallel as you can keep them.

• Like 2

I think you may have the outter upside down, looks wider at the bottom, may just be your image though, and the curve seems to go outwards. 

GqhAlyB.jpg

zNw7quA.jpg

Other side looks ok 

eLt8iX3.jpg

A small block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around can give a nice flat surface to straighten trim lines.

I love using a dremel for trimming, much more control ;)

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I think you may have the outter upside down, looks wider at the bottom, may just be your image though, and the curve seems to go outwards. 

The photo does indeed look weird. The opening on the top of each half is larger than on the bottom, though. I also noticed that there is curvature on one outer half, but not on the other one. See these two photos for comparison:

Side in question (curved):

zusMtB1.jpg

Other side (straight):

uxz75ia.jpg

So I think it's OK orientation-wise, but there is a question of quality/consistency here.

Which Dremel attachment do you use for trimming? The rotary saw, or the sanding drum, or something else?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Which Dremel attachment do you use for trimming? The rotary saw, or the sanding drum, or something else?

I use 3 rotary tools, I hate changing the bits when I'm on a roll, I use a quick change cutting disc, debur/drill tool and sanding drum,.

• Like 2

More biceps!

I am starting to worry that since I have so many questions about what is the simplest part of the armor, it’s going to get worse going forward! :blink:

Still working on the fitting, following others’ suggestions to get the return edges down. Following @gmrhodes13's excellent suggestion of using a Dremel (at lowest RPM, wearing PPE) to work down the edges, I got them down some more, and sanded everything. I’m sure some of you will say that I should get them down even more, but I’m still chicken about this.
SEhJSbA.jpg

I sized the halves to my arm as best I could, but I’m really confused about why there are ridges near the abutting edges. Other vids and threads I’ve looked at do not seem to have this. What I’ve got right now is ridges quite far apart from each other, where a 15mm-wide cover strip comes nowhere close to covering them. First picture shows how far apart these ridges are after sizing. Black China marker is the centerline where I’d want to cut each half:
TQmvvPZ.jpg

This pic shows that distance compared to the width of a 15mm cover strip:
Iaw4kIr.jpg

So the strip seems way too narrow. What is up with those ridges? What might I be doing wrong? I don't think that completely removing the return edges would make up for this much margin.

Edited by CloseTheBlastDoor

9 hours ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

More biceps!

I am starting to worry that since I have so many questions about what is the simplest part of the armor, it’s going to get worse going forward! :blink:

Still working on the fitting, following others’ suggestions to get the return edges down. Following @gmrhodes13's excellent suggestion of using a Dremel (at lowest RPM, wearing PPE) to work down the edges, I got them down some more, and sanded everything. I’m sure some of you will say that I should get them down even more, but I’m still chicken about this.
SEhJSbA.jpg

I sized the halves to my arm as best I could, but I’m really confused about why there are ridges near the abutting edges. Other vids and threads I’ve looked at do not seem to have this. What I’ve got right now is ridges quite far apart from each other, where a 15mm-wide cover strip comes nowhere close to covering them. First picture shows how far apart these ridges are after sizing. Black China marker is the centerline where I’d want to cut each half:
TQmvvPZ.jpg

This pic shows that distance compared to the width of a 15mm cover strip:
Iaw4kIr.jpg

So the strip seems way too narrow. What is up with those ridges? What might I be doing wrong? I don't think that completely removing the return edges would make up for this much margin.

You should trim from the ridge 7,5 mm each side. This will reduce the bicep. Make it with one side, test with your arm . 

It's strongly recommended to use the inner clack compression clothes so you can have a better fit.

NYTm9El.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

I am starting to worry that since I have so many questions about what is the simplest part of the armor, it’s going to get worse going forward!

Questions are part of the process! Better to ask questions and clarify procedures before making any cuts or gluing anything, because doing things right the first time is much easier than having to fix something.

I'm working on my third kit and I sometimes think I have too many questions, but that is only because I am being critical of myself. No one has ever told me I ask too many questions!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Thanks, Mario! Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here, can you clarify?

:laugh1: sorry for my error.

What I'm saying is that use the black inner clothes (It is generally tighter fitting clothing.)

:salute: