Ranger's BF2 Heavy Stormtrooper Build

Hey hey! Been a while since I've been here. I've got a new costume in the works, but after looking at the forums.... I wasn't quite sure where to put it. :laugh1: I'm planning to build the Heavy Stormtrooper from Battlefront 2, but nobody's made one yet and so there's no relevant forum sadly.

Well, on to the details and pictures!

I love the look of the heavy Stormtrooper, and the backpack is great, plus I like the black pauldrons and big guns.... so I looked and found there isn't a CRL for one yet, so I'm taking the plunge to build the first one!

I've been talking to Dave's Darkside Depot for the armor, I've already got stuff in hand, I'll have to build the backpack.

Helmet: DDD
Armor: DDD
Neckseal: I don't remember, got it off Etsy in.... 2018? (in hand)
Pauldron: Trooperbay black pauldron (in hand)
Body suit: Scuba black body suit (in hand)
Boots: TKBoots (an original pair!)

Gloves: Imperial Boots/KeepTrooping (in hand)

Next post is the research post!

• Like 4

Research and reference pics! (This will be updated)
IMG_2049.png?ex=65c8ef44&is=65b67a44&hm=

552610d0-604e-4a56-8ac7-6c747c4d4d6e.png

388b7adb-1489-4003-a71d-8e283736c74b.png

17e2c218-d269-4a48-8f84-185609921245.png

f6963fa2-da6a-4e51-8cbb-cf2899cd2931.png

72a3b60f-414b-4d73-b969-82b0aa5c6649.png

46623233-63de-478f-be24-5ebb5f600fe1.png

2ea01bd6-9747-4ee6-bd83-96362a56aaf7.png

95f19265-8710-43fa-b1fe-9d83153732de.png

d534ab43-becf-44df-b084-1df36ab13516.png
438c694c-497a-46a9-8e56-001ca5478fde.png

0d1888be-30ca-47ea-9f26-b5ae603a9aad.png

3c143fa8-ea1f-4f73-847e-ef3cb81fa7e0.png

Initial notes:
Helmet appears to be ANH/ESB proportioned but with ROTJ paint and ROTJ ear caps
AB plate has only 4 buttons colored, fifth is left white
Gloves are Rogue One TK gloves
Armor is ROTJ armor
Traditional belt drop boxes, not MP40 pouches like the original HWT
Only one MP40 pouch on entire outfit
Backpack is completely new and has visible straps
Pauldron is black, not orange

Shoe soles are either dark yellow or dark gray

No holster is worn

Thermal detonator is worn

Edited by TheLoneRanger
  • Like 5

I love it and support your efforts! Looks like there is plenty of reference to compare to and warrant a new ROTJ-based Heavy CRL. Good luck and keep us posted!

Fantastic reference shots and a very cool build idea! I hope it pans out and we get a new CRL out of this. Bravo for taking it on!

The backpack looks quite Sandy-based to me with the little radar dish, toilet plunger thing, and other parts. Is the hose the same CPAP one that Cad Bane uses? Might be worth looking into anyway.

The MP40 pouch looks quite non-leather with the ribbing going on. That's pretty awesome because at least currently, the canvas ones are a lot easier to find than leather. Looks to hang off the shoulder vs being attached to the pauldron, which is nice for movement and visibility. The one on my HWT pauldron can get in the way of my chin at times.

Thanks for the replies guys! The current plan I have due to the helmet is to use an ANH helmet as the base and paint it the proper ROTJ colors. That way the proportions match while the paint does too. I’ll have the fill in the screw recesses on the ears and glue them on, but that’s ezpz

after all sorts of animations to make the trooper move and closely watching the belt drop boxes, I have determined the game has nothing attaching them to the belt. :laugh1:
They’re just freely floating close to the belt. So.. a creative liberty taken there, and I’ll use the traditional white fabric strips to attach them.

Edited by TheLoneRanger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tilheyra said:

Is it just me, or is that thermal detonator shorter in length that the standard ROTJ trooper?

0GszHID.png

ByPvM2I.png

You’re right! It is! I went in game and looked and it is definitely shorter!

92cdb585-7523-4dea-9099-e6fd6a9c9905.png

I also noticed the belt is unique.

e29d21dc-69c6-46ca-ae0c-a520c6ce04d4.png

It’s the standard TK belt, but it doesn’t have the three squares attached between the boxes.

And the drop boxes themselves *are Rogue One drop boxes.*
Rogue One belt

TK_R1_belt.jpg

ROTJ belt’s 

TK_anh_stunt_belt.jpeg

it’s like for the game, they mashed up a R1 belt with a ROTJ belt, and just said whatever about the detonator. :laugh1:

The det is very much the ANH/ESB style one, just squished down in terms of width. The button on the ROTJ is quite different as is the panel below it.

And yeah, totally R1 drop boxes on that belt. Long and skinny.

2 hours ago, TheLoneRanger said:

You will find many items may be the same as other game versions, like the belt

TKC has no center button cover as well as Death trooper, Shock , Incinerator

TKC_INC_1.jpg

One thing to watch is the ab plate, it may take a little work to be game accurate, note the ab plate looks molded (this came up recently in command in regards to incorrect ROTJ ab plate details) it also has the border (molded area) around the ab plate

ROTJ CRL has this image showing separate ab plate and border

TK_rotj_ab.jpg

For ROTJ it should be like these which is still different from the BF2

ORsl6J2.jpg5jambsU.jpg

CFO armor no raised area around the large ab plate just like references

3162C415-786C-4123-95CB-0C745018EC5D_zpsr9x1nt0m(1).thumb.webp.e94171687abda8d3104e00590b2c1995.webp

Note the game version Shock trooper is also wrong in the CRL but the game reference has this sane border (molded area)

CRL image separate                                                                                                            Reference 

TK_shocktrooper_ab.jpg o8BUTN6.jpg.3cc25019f2a0fed7ffa540d890a03f7d.jpg

ANH would be better suited for this build with rotated large ab plate

TK_anh_stunt_ab.jpeg  

ab.thumb.png.e1b6eb5b2d2c8d7554950ccd889a06f6.png

Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You will find many items may be the same as other game versions, like the belt

TKC has no center button cover as well as Death trooper, Shock , Incinerator

TKC_INC_1.jpg

One thing to watch is the ab plate, it may take a little work to be game accurate, note the ab plate looks molded (this came up recently in command in regards to incorrect ROTJ ab plate details) it also has the border (molded area) around the ab plate

ROTJ CRL has this image showing separate ab plate and border

TK_rotj_ab.jpg

For ROTJ it should be like these which is still different from the BF2

ORsl6J2.jpg5jambsU.jpg

CFO armor no raised area around the large ab plate just like references

3162C415-786C-4123-95CB-0C745018EC5D_zpsr9x1nt0m(1).thumb.webp.e94171687abda8d3104e00590b2c1995.webp

Note the game version Shock trooper is also wrong in the CRL but the game reference has this sane border (molded area)

CRL image separate                                                                                                            Reference 

TK_shocktrooper_ab.jpg o8BUTN6.jpg.3cc25019f2a0fed7ffa540d890a03f7d.jpg

ANH would be better suited for this build with rotated large ab plate

TK_anh_stunt_ab.jpeg  

Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

I plan to get the AM ANH armor and modify it as needed to match the game references. The AB plate will take some work for sure but I think I can get it right.

The belt has no square button covers at all, just a visible rivet painted white on each side. I’m wondering if I should build the basic TK first, then go from there to the Heavy.

35 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

The belt has no square button covers at all, just a visible rivet painted white on each side. I’m wondering if I should build the basic TK first, then go from there to the Heavy.

Yes just like this one ;)

TK_shocktrooper_ab.jpg

A lot of game version CRL's are also missing some information and correct images and some are not consistent with other game CRL's, when researching I'd highly recommend comparing with the other CRL's.

I think you will find quite a few items which will no doubt be different from a base ANH, I'd probably head straight for a BF2 build from the start, but entirely up to you if you want to do the conversions.

The thigh ammo strip is also mounted higher like other game CRL's, unlike the other CRL's it still has a rivet in each corner which other game versions do not.

If you study the image above you may also note the overlap construction (which is ROTJ style), not butt joined and coverstrip. 

Belt ends are a little bit longer and the rivet is set more towards the ends of the belt. Also drop boxes are centered to the last belt box NOT to the ends of the belt

wy3jt909eb141.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

TKC

Also note the rounded look to the posterior and fused kindey/posterior same as other game versions.

star_wars_battlefront_ii__stormtrooper_b

This costume had been discussed previously and you can find some more reference here if you haven't already seen them ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Yes just like this one ;)

TK_shocktrooper_ab.jpg

A lot of game version CRL's are also missing some information and correct images and some are not consistent with other game CRL's, when researching I'd highly recommend comparing with the other CRL's.

I think you will find quite a few items which will no doubt be different from a base ANH, I'd probably head straight for a BF2 build from the start, but entirely up to you if you want to do the conversions.

The thigh ammo strip is also mounted higher like other game CRL's, unlike the other CRL's it still has a rivet in each corner which other game versions do not.

If you study the image above you may also note the overlap construction (which is ROTJ style), not butt joined and coverstrip. 

Belt ends are a little bit longer and the rivet is set more towards the ends of the belt. Also drop boxes are centered to the last belt box NOT to the ends of the belt

wy3jt909eb141.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

TKC

Also note the rounded look to the posterior and fused kindey/posterior same as other game versions.

star_wars_battlefront_ii__stormtrooper_b

This costume had been discussed previously and you can find some more reference here if you haven't already seen them ;)

I’ll look through this and get some nice big printouts of the in game model so when I’m assembling the armor, I can follow the model and modify my armor as needed to be as close as possible.

• Like 1

If you need a source for the gasket around the chest, back, abdominal, and kidney/posterior pieces, this worked great for my shock trooper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B87SDCVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It comes in a 26-foot length, which is enough to apply to all the pieces and have a few feet of extra material left over.

I installed it so the wider edge (the edge with the built-in adhesive material) is on the interior, and the narrow edge is on the exterior (where it is visible). I then glued it all in place with E6000 glue. The built-in adhesive is not strong enough to tolerate trooping.

• Like 1

Ribbed undersuit, shoulders, elbows, neck and between backplate and kidney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Ribbed undersuit, shoulders, elbows, neck and between backplate and kidney.

Rogue One undersuit by the looks of it, which tracks. The developers probably used a modern undersuit for all the armors.

1 minute ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Rogue One undersuit by the looks of it, which tracks. The developers probably used a modern undersuit for all the armors.

Definitely a mix of old and new. Lines running down from the neck is a little weird.

Just now, gmrhodes13 said:

Definitely a mix of old and new. Lines running down from the neck is a little weird.

I’ll message GeekyPink and see what she can for the suit, this’ll be an interesting one. :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I’ll message GeekyPink and see what she can for the suit, this’ll be an interesting one. :blink:

So Geeky does not do R1 suits at this time. Shame, I would’ve just had one modified. Other makers that come to mind are Jimmiroquai and KeepTrooping. Worth a shot to ask if they’d be up for some custom shenanigans.

Would a waffle knit thermal shirt and pants work for an undersuit? Could be a simpler option when compared to having to produce something custom.

Of course, the flaw in something off the shelf is the waffle knit shirts and pants have a different pattern of material for the collar of the shirt and waistband of the pants. Maybe a custom neck seal with extra fabric draping down would conceal the different fabric texture of the collar. Not sure at the moment what could be done with the waistband.

52 minutes ago, Tilheyra said:

Would a waffle knit thermal shirt and pants work for an undersuit? Could be a simpler option when compared to having to produce something custom.

Of course, the flaw in something off the shelf is the waffle knit shirts and pants have a different pattern of material for the collar of the shirt and waistband of the pants. Maybe a custom neck seal with extra fabric draping down would conceal the different fabric texture of the collar. Not sure at the moment what could be done with the waistband.

Could do. I’m just figuring if this is the first one of this costume, I should go that extra step for exact detail. Then if anyone else decides to do one, they can look here and see who I got mine from, or get ideas for how to make their own.

What I’m thinking is the R1 pants as they are are perfectly fine, have the shirt be fully ribbed with the neck seal built in and no zipper, functioning as a pullover like underarmor. 

Edited by TheLoneRanger
  • Like 2

Going for extra detail as the CRL model is a good idea, especially when others may follow and what to obtain L2 or L3.

. Sheevs emporium do a lot of custom sewing, may be an option.

I managed to get ahold of the exact model used, ripped straight from the game. So I took off the chest and back plate.

trooper1.thumb.jpg.1dd0c69bd3ab9aca49eaf46de468b1c2.jpgtrooper2.thumb.jpg.b7fd1ed422ab6f140c496e9a9f2f74dd.jpg

Safe to say, the entire suit is ribbed. I didn't remove the other armor pieces, but I took a peek down the sides and they're fully ribbed even in areas that aren't seen at all. Interesting choice but likely done to save time in the 3D modeling process. The gloves are indeed Rogue One gloves as I thought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I managed to get ahold of the exact model used, ripped straight from the game. So I took off the chest and back plate.

trooper1.thumb.jpg.1dd0c69bd3ab9aca49eaf46de468b1c2.jpgtrooper2.thumb.jpg.b7fd1ed422ab6f140c496e9a9f2f74dd.jpg

Safe to say, the entire suit is ribbed. I didn't remove the other armor pieces, but I took a peek down the sides and they're fully ribbed even in areas that aren't seen at all. Interesting choice but likely done to save time in the 3D modeling process. The gloves are indeed Rogue One gloves as I thought.

Great idea checking the model. I’m curious what the Clone undersuit is like in game. I’ll have to rip it when I get home.