How to assemble Sterling stock? (Solved)

Jedxh

I'm losing my mind over here, I took apart both the vintage and aluminium folding stocks but cannot for the life of me get them back together. It's the little 'hook' type piece that's giving me trouble.

Is there a method to doing this? Keeping the latch spring compressed whilst simultaneously hammering the pin in and holding the buttplate in place just seems, impossible.. what am I doing wrong? 

arMztnn.jpeg

Edited by Jedxh

Not sure if I correctly understood your problem but the first video in the following link shows how to disassemble and assemble the whole Sterling.

Maybe this helps...

Heaps of videos around to reassemble the Sterling machine gun 

Heaps of videos around to reassemble the Sterling machine gun 

Whilst all those kind of videos show the assembly, they don't show how to physically put it together, like with your hands. Specifically the folding stock.

It's hard to explain, I know how the parts go together, but don't know how to get them together manually, as I assume the stock was machine assembled when it was made?

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or it's actually this difficult to do?..

7 hours ago, Jedxh said:

Whilst all those kind of videos show the assembly, they don't show how to physically put it together, like with your hands. Specifically the folding stock.

It's hard to explain, I know how the parts go together, but don't know how to get them together manually, as I assume the stock was machine assembled when it was made?

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or it's actually this difficult to do?..

That was the closest video I found, but with that one being a resin build the assembly is slightly different unfortunately.

Was messing with it last night and almost got it together but it seems like I'll have to do it with another pair of hands. Everything else about the blaster assembly is super simple but the stock is incredibly finicky. It basically requires 3 steps to be done simultaneously, the main difficulty is keeping the latch spring compressed whilst hammering in the locking pin. Definitely not designed to be manually assembled. Where's General Grievous when you need him..
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar with how to remove a Sterling stock, but the videos I've seen of the Sterling show the stock remaining on during field stripping. As with many firearms, anything beyond a basic field strip may require special tools, which in the service would typically only be found in the the factory and in the hands of military armorers.

Another person to help would probably be the way to go. I know firearms are heavily restricted in Australia (and your Sterling/E-11 may not be an actual firearm), so I am unsure how many gunsmiths are in your area, but perhaps you can contact a gunsmith who is familiar with the Sterling to get assistance.

Edited by Tilheyra
  • Like 1

The only person I know who would be able to possibly help would be Chris from the Blaster Factory  @fieldmarshall.  He actually makes 100% accurate reproductions of these in metal as well as a host of other items, so if there is anyone to contact it would be him.

• Like 2

Here you go! My kits are cast from my sterling. In this video it shows how to assemble the stock. Just ignore the parts where I use adhesive. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Update: with the help of a mate I ended up getting it back together. He held the catch spring back and kept the buttplate in place, I then held the hook piece in place and hammered in the locking pin. The tension of the spring is what makes this so difficult. The blasterfactory one isn't as strong but it's still a pain.

5Abb8AQ.jpeg 

I'm not sure what method Chris uses when assembling his aluminium ones, but man, props to him because this was such a hassle just to swap the catch pieces over. I do not recommend lol. 

shuKnAO.jpeg

Edited by Jedxh
  • Like 3

• Jedxh changed the title to How to assemble Sterling stock? (Solved)